U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-01-2008, 10:25 AM
 
Location: CA
830 posts, read 2,356,822 times
Reputation: 1008

Advertisements

Wanna see my girl, Nelly? Here she is, cuddling with her 4 week old kitten we found recently on one of our walks.



She stays loose in the house now while I'm at work, though she seems to be spending most of that time in her crate, which I leave open for her. She has accumulated many stuffed animals and other favored objects in there. The other day I even found a sleeve of saltines that she somehow illegally obtained! :lol She loves to bring her kitten in there too. Hope she can "separate" from him when he goes up for adoption in a month or so!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2008, 10:56 AM
 
4,541 posts, read 13,089,688 times
Reputation: 2285
She's a cutie. Love the picture.

And, you've gotten her into the crate. Wow. I'm impressed!!!

Interesting. We started class the other night and the instructor told me that I should force my dog to crate. I tried to tell her how bad he was but she insisted.

I'm still thinking about it... but I'm not so sure that it's for EVERY dog.

Good job!

Last edited by World Citizen; 11-01-2008 at 11:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2008, 11:56 AM
 
Location: "The Sunshine State"
4,334 posts, read 12,195,511 times
Reputation: 3010
Glad to hear of a "Happy Ending" here. Your doggie is so cute! And looks like she bonded with that kitty! Some dogs just need a buddy or playmate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2008, 06:05 PM
 
Location: CA
830 posts, read 2,356,822 times
Reputation: 1008
For Nelly, forcing her wasn't going to be a thing that worked. I mean, she liked her crate in the beginning when she was practically catatonic (a place to hide) and it was only when her anxiety about separation from me overtook her catatonia that she began to dislike it.

Ever since the really bad day in it, I haven't closed her in it... but she still chooses to use it with the door open most of the time that we're not actively doing something together. She just began using it again on her own one day.

I think it's more of a convincing process than a forcing process...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2008, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,813 posts, read 55,745,006 times
Reputation: 18988
I think you may have a new cat! She may get anxious when the kitten gets adopted. Maybe you can try it out by letting someone else foster the kitten for a day or so to see how she does without it. Once they get used to their habitat, changes in personnel/physical layout can be stressful. Just sayin' .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2008, 06:18 PM
 
4,541 posts, read 13,089,688 times
Reputation: 2285
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
For Nelly, forcing her wasn't going to be a thing that worked. I mean, she liked her crate in the beginning when she was practically catatonic (a place to hide) and it was only when her anxiety about separation from me overtook her catatonia that she began to dislike it.

Ever since the really bad day in it, I haven't closed her in it... but she still chooses to use it with the door open most of the time that we're not actively doing something together. She just began using it again on her own one day.

I think it's more of a convincing process than a forcing process...

Yes. Your dog is much different than mine....

I just got back from Walmart. I can't bring him with me because he tears up the car when I leave him in it. So, I put my dog in the spare room that I've doggie proofed with a peanut butter filled kong and his blankets. I even left the lights on. I was gone for less than an hour.

Right now, the entire front of his body is soaking wet... from stress. And this is a great improvement from how he once was...

But I'm going to have to tell the teacher "No. I don't think I'll be trying the crate again any time soon."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2008, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH
753 posts, read 2,216,677 times
Reputation: 767
I just rescued a one year old female boxer about 3 weeks ago. She had been in the pound for about a week. She had the saddest expression on her face - even in the petfinder pictures. She would not leave my side the night a brought her home. I couldn't go to the bathroom without her sratching up the door and whining. Between 8 and 10pm she was trying to sleep, but if I so much as moved or even breathed hard, she was up. I know she was so tired - but she just couldn't stay asleep.

At night I kept her in a crate. She whined for 2 minutes, then got comfy and went to sleep. But she was right next to my bed, and every time I moved she was up looking at me.

Monday rolled around and I had to go to work. I thought it was best to put her in the bathroom instead of the crate because I was afraid she would hurt herself trying to get out. She destroyed the bottom of the door and was biting the door nob trying to get out. She howled when I left, but the neighbor said she didn't even know I had her, so she must have calmed down after a while, but at first she was like a tazmanian devil!

But it was killing me to hear her when I closed the door, so the third day I switched to using the crate. She whined when I left, but it wasn't as desperate and crazed sounding. And when I got home, she was not hurt. So this worked much better.

I have a very set weekly schedule, so set it's disgusting to be honest. But Im a single mom and is has to be or else there is chaos! And I think this schedule is what made all the difference. She learned exactly what was going to be happening. Even right now she is looking at me waiting for her last walk of the night before bed at 930. (I get up at 5). So much for prime time TV!

She still much prefers to be by my side, but when I left for work all last week, she just laid down in the crate and didn't whine at all. She doesn't immediaty follow me if I leave the room, she waits to see if I'm coming back in, if I don't she comes looking. It's amazing how much she has changed in the few weeks I'v had her.

I'm glad you guys mentioned that book, I am getting it so I can read it. I read her other book, and she does say the one dog is her soulmate. I forget the title. It was a really good book about dog behaviors and Im very glad I read it before I rescued Harley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2008, 07:13 PM
 
4,541 posts, read 13,089,688 times
Reputation: 2285
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
I just rescued a one year old female boxer about 3 weeks ago. She had been in the pound for about a week. She had the saddest expression on her face - even in the petfinder pictures. She would not leave my side the night a brought her home. I couldn't go to the bathroom without her sratching up the door and whining. Between 8 and 10pm she was trying to sleep, but if I so much as moved or even breathed hard, she was up. I know she was so tired - but she just couldn't stay asleep.

At night I kept her in a crate. She whined for 2 minutes, then got comfy and went to sleep. But she was right next to my bed, and every time I moved she was up looking at me.

Monday rolled around and I had to go to work. I thought it was best to put her in the bathroom instead of the crate because I was afraid she would hurt herself trying to get out. She destroyed the bottom of the door and was biting the door nob trying to get out. She howled when I left, but the neighbor said she didn't even know I had her, so she must have calmed down after a while, but at first she was like a tazmanian devil!

But it was killing me to hear her when I closed the door, so the third day I switched to using the crate. She whined when I left, but it wasn't as desperate and crazed sounding. And when I got home, she was not hurt. So this worked much better.

I have a very set weekly schedule, so set it's disgusting to be honest. But Im a single mom and is has to be or else there is chaos! And I think this schedule is what made all the difference. She learned exactly what was going to be happening. Even right now she is looking at me waiting for her last walk of the night before bed at 930. (I get up at 5). So much for prime time TV!

She still much prefers to be by my side, but when I left for work all last week, she just laid down in the crate and didn't whine at all. She doesn't immediaty follow me if I leave the room, she waits to see if I'm coming back in, if I don't she comes looking. It's amazing how much she has changed in the few weeks I'v had her.

I'm glad you guys mentioned that book, I am getting it so I can read it. I read her other book, and she does say the one dog is her soulmate. I forget the title. It was a really good book about dog behaviors and Im very glad I read it before I rescued Harley.

Was the title of the book, For the Love of a Dog or something like that???

Last edited by World Citizen; 11-01-2008 at 07:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2008, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas
1,479 posts, read 7,012,303 times
Reputation: 1908
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Was the title of the book, For the Love of a Dog or something like that???
I think that's the one. Either that or it's in "The Other End of the Leash". Both of them are excellent books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2008, 05:16 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH
753 posts, read 2,216,677 times
Reputation: 767
It has to be The Other End of the Leash because I didn't read For the Love of a Dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:13 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top