U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 07:04 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,198,588 times

Advertisements

I would bring him to your home. Do not liscence him, get him a petsmart ID tag with your info. on it, be responsible. You would need a privacy fence. If you have a vet you have been using for years have them put on his record lab/mix. No mention of pit. This is a horrible situation. I hate BSL. Who is caring for him now? What and whose farm is he on? Well maybe move there...sounds too dangerous for the dog to go bye you in the end.....this upsets me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 07:16 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,252,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Yeah but if it drops the phone on your toe it is clearly a dangerous dog :S
Clearly!!!! How could I have been so blind??

Old 10-05-2008, 10:41 PM

93 posts, read 183,633 times
This info might not be any use but here goes...

There are some people that have their vet do a cheek scraping or blood test on their dog, and pay to have it run through some breed identifying tests (what they are looking for are genetic marker patterns similar to purebreds that were typed during the canine genome studies).

The tests themselves are fairly generalized and at this point since the tests cannot identify purebred dogs (the several different companies originally stated they could recognize 30 some breeds, but this has been withdrawn because it's not reliable nor accurate). Nevertheless, people sometimes use these to ID their mixed breeds to document that the dogs are not 'pit bulls'.

It turns out to be little better than eyeballing a dog and calling it a pit bull. (see the pit bull test) Too arbitrary.

I don't know if the results of the tests will help you to protect yourself and your dog(s). I'm involved in different facets of science/research, canine genetics and am aware of people that have documented purebreds whose dogs samples were sent in for such tests -- with the result that the purebreds were misidentified as unrelated mixes.

The companies will not guarantee they can identify purebreds, so how can they accurately identify an unknown? Nevertheless, if your area accepts these tests as proof of lack of pit bull breeding, and your dog's profile shows no 'pit bull' it can be useful. I have of course, no idea what the principle parentage of your dog may be.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:27 AM

7,541 posts, read 16,351,968 times
BSL will not accept any proof as evidence, it states "type" and "characteristics".

Old 10-06-2008, 03:42 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,284,441 times
I'm going with Brian on this one...many cities have ordinances like ours, which was passed while I was living out of the country.

http://animalshelter.russellvillearkansas.org/docs/1918.pdf (broken link)

Catch the last line on the first page and the first section on the second page "...pit bull or commonly recognizable as such"...so your dog's future hangs on what an AC officer sees and nothing else. This particular breed ban says if they aren't show dogs and weren't in the city limits when this was passed, they ain't coming in.

I'd get a copy of the law...see what you're dealing with. It may be better or worse than the one above.

OP, I feel your pain. I personally would suck it up, move to the farm and be separated from hubby, and beat the bushes for something to rent/own just outside the city limits or wherever the BSL is, but that's just me. I wouldn't try slipping the dog in. The neighbors could panic and run their mouth and then you have a real mess on your hands - fines and the possibility of your dog losing it's life. Not worth it in my opinion.

You're in an awful place, but paying for the insurance is bound to be cheaper than driving, so we have that one checked off. Barking? Well, as Riv stated, the only thing you might be able to do in public is muzzle. And that sucks, but not as bad as going to the pound. Your landlord may be amenable to you erecting a privacy fence. (Ours was!) It improves their property at no cost. It is a pricey endeavor, though. The other thing I can think of is one of those cameras that you mount in the driveway or across the sidewalk so you can see who is approaching your property so you could get him muzzled really quick if the nosey neighbors or anyone else showed up.

Why don't you post a picture of him and let us take a look? This group is known for giving honest opinions.... That wouldn't be any defense in court ("but my forum group said...."), but we're all basically talking through our hat here.

Where are you at in TX, just general area? I'll try to put out some feelers and see what I can find in your area as far as sanctuaries, etc.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:36 AM

30 posts, read 96,448 times
Here is the mean viscious pitbull
Attached Thumbnails
would you chance it-duke-2.jpg  

Old 10-06-2008, 09:47 AM

30 posts, read 96,448 times
and another
Attached Thumbnails
would you chance it-duke3.jpg  

Old 10-06-2008, 05:19 PM

702 posts, read 2,242,402 times
Txgirl - he looks like an American Bull Dog/lab mix to me, but who am I? Is it at all possible to have a friend or relative live at your house in the country? This way you can stay with your hubby and know that your dog and house are being well cared for. Who is taking care of the horse BTW?

As for trying to sneak the dog in? Not a good idea IMO. I just heard about a family in a neighboring community where the couple had just purchased their "dream home" and moved in with their 2 pitbulls they adopted when the dogs were younger. There was no BSL. Within a couple of days they put up a privacy fence and the neighbors learned what kind of dogs they had and petitioned the Mayor to have the dogs removed. The woman was at home with the two dogs while her husband worked down state. She was so fearful of what might happen to the dogs and was intimidated by the neighbors that she had the dogs rehomed. She tried to go to the Mayor for help and was told now they are trying to get BSL passed in this affluent community. I was very upset and did some of my own checking and learned that indeed there was a petition and there is interest in BSL, but the Mayor does not think it will pass due to State law. Be careful.

I just couldn't leave my dog and Brian H - BSL is no joke - people think it doesn't impact them - only the pit owners, but your list sure tells a different story. What are we letting people get away with?

Old 10-06-2008, 05:34 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,198,817 times
If asked, I would say Boxer/Lab mix and leave off Pit.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:45 PM

93 posts, read 183,633 times
Anti Animal agendas are getting out of hand and are creating serious problems resulting in more animal deaths. See this thread on a house renovation forum in Australia. The sitch is happening here as well. People with pets are finding out they have moved into areas with antianimal ordinances that limit them to two pets, two dogs or two cats or one of each. Sometimes they find out after they have moved in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or