Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 04:34 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,402,183 times

Advertisements

Read what I said!
A Labrador barking is a dog barking.
A Pitbull barking is aggression, thats why its written into the laws. Anything that a Pitbull does can be taken as aggression and it will be killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 04:38 PM

30 posts, read 107,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Read what I said!
A Labrador barking is a dog barking.
A Pitbull barking is aggression, thats why its written into the laws. Anything that a Pitbull does can be taken as aggression and it will be killed.
That is why I believe a DNA test would not do me any good. Anything he does can be taken as dog aggressiveness. I guess it is in his best interest to stay on the farm and us drive back and forth. Sucks but I guess that is part of owning the breed

Old 10-05-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
If you want your dog to have a good life dont take him into that town. Is there no areas or housing outside of City limits where you wont have to abide by the restrictions ?
Not that I can find. I looked for a mont before finding this place. I have probably called 1000 people in a month that lived in anti BSL places seeing if they would rent to us and the dog. We have great credit, own a home, and do not have anything against us except that we own a pitbull. The closest house I found that would allow him was 1.5 hours away from work.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:50 PM

That sucks txgirl. Are you going to be working there for good or is it temp ? If you are staying there full time you may well be better of petitioning the council to change their laws. Fight for your and your dogs rights. Many towns used Holland and UK Towns as a shining example of why we need to have BSL. Holland recently dropped their BSL which was in for years because it dosent work, and all the UK cities have seen no decrease in bites. I and many others here can help you with info and advice if you feel the need to fight it. I have been one of the lucky few that fought and won.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:55 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,467,753 times
Boy, this is nasty. What's next...a ban on dogs over 14" high? It's happening as we speak in Beijing..any dog 14"+ is clubbed or shot to death on sight (not to mentiond prison for their human "criminals"). This BSL is no joke, very dangerous stuff in more ways than one.

So sorry you are going through this, txgirl0919. I am so glad that you are doing everything possible to save your dog. Sending good thoughts your way, and please keep us updated. Good luck to you ~

Old 10-05-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
That sucks txgirl. Are you going to be working there for good or is it temp ? If you are staying there full time you may well be better of petitioning the council to change their laws. Fight for your and your dogs rights. Many towns used Holland and UK Towns as a shining example of why we need to have BSL. Holland recently dropped their BSL which was in for years because it dosent work, and all the UK cities have seen no decrease in bites. I and many others here can help you with info and advice if you feel the need to fight it. I have been one of the lucky few that fought and won.
It is temporary as we want out of here asap and back to the sticks lol. All these rules and such are not what we are used to.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Boy, this is nasty. What's next...a ban on dogs over 14" high? It's happening as we speak in Beijing..any dog 14"+ is clubbed or shot to death on sight (not to mentiond prison for their human "criminals"). This BSL is no joke, very dangerous stuff in more ways than one.

So sorry you are going through this, txgirl0919. I am so glad that you are doing everything possible to save your dog. Sending good thoughts your way, and please keep us updated. Good luck to you ~
Isn't it awful? The sad thing is pitties used to be the "American Dog" and then bad people got ahold of the breed and look what happened.

I heard that rotties are next and chows and some towns are even banning blue heelers. Personally I think BSL is just a way for them to slowly..one by one take away all of our rights. I wish people would stop it before it is too late and they have control over everything we do and own.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:28 PM

There are countless breeds affected
Punish the Deed, not the Breed!
Dogs currently affected by BSL in the United States...

I have only included 1 or 2 cities/states where the breed is affected by BSL so that the breeds can be verified as targets.

1. American Pit Bull Terrier (Note: Laws dealing with “pit bulls” also state any mix of the 3 breeds AND the MOST important line, anything that has the characteristics or appearance of these breeds. There are 20+ breeds that are commonly mistakenly identified as “pit bull” dogs. ) (Denver, CO)
2. American Staffordshire Terrier (Note: Laws dealing with “pit bulls” also state any mix of the 3 breeds AND the MOST important line, anything that has the characteristics or appearance of these breeds. There are 20+ breeds that are commonly mistakenly identified as “pit bull” dogs. ) (Denver, CO)
3. Staffordshire Bull Terrier (Note: Laws dealing with “pit bulls” also state any mix of the 3 breeds AND the MOST important line, anything that has the characteristics or appearance of these breeds. There are 20+ breeds that are commonly mistakenly identified as “pit bull” dogs. ) (Denver, CO)
4. Rottweiler
5. Doberman Pincher (Fairfield, IA) (Sisston, SD), (Westfield, IL), (Travelers Rest, SC)
6. Shar Pei’s (Smithfield, UT)
7. German Shepard (Fairfield, IA)
8. Belgian Malanois (Fairfield, IA)
9. Siberian Huskies (Fairfield, IA)
10. Alaskan Malamutes (Fairfield, IA)
11. Great Danes (Fairfield, IA)
12. Irish Wolf Hounds (Fairfield, IA)
13. Scottish Deerhounds (Fairfield, IA)
14. Mastiffs (Fairfield, IA)
15. Boerboels (Fairfield, IA)
16. American Bull Dog (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA), (North Little Rock, AR)
17. Akita (Ulyssas, KS)
18. Chow Chow (Travelers Rest, SC), (New Port, RI)
19. English Mastiffs, (Yale, IA)
20. Tosa Inu (Aurora, CO)
21. Presa Canario (Aurora, CO)
22. Dogo Argentino (Aurora, CO)
23. Cane Corso (Aurora, CO)
24. American Bulldog (Aurora, CO / North Little Rock, AR)
25. Bull Terrier (Grandview, MO - Akron, OH)
26. American Bull Dog, (North Little Rock, AR)
27. Presa Canario (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA), (Lanett, AL)
28. Wolf Hybrid (Huntington WV)
29. Canary Dog ( Akron, OH)
30. Perro De Presa (Akron, OH)
31. Old Country Bull Dog (Akron, OH)

NOTE: These are breeds that are typically over 100lbs. If your dog is less than 100lbs than they are safe in Fairfield.

29. Bull Mastiff (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
30. Neopolitian Mastiff (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
31. Tibetan Mastiff (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
32. New Foundland (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
33. Anatolian Shepherd (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
34. Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
35. Great Pyrenees (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
36. Komondor (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
37. Kuvaz (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
38. St. Bernard (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
39. Tosa Inu (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
40. Dogo Argentino (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
41. Cane Corso (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
42. Fila Brasileiro (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
43. Spanish Mastiff (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
44. Italian Mastiff (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
45. Dogue De Bordeauxs (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
46. Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
47. Akbash (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
48. Leonberger (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)

Old 10-05-2008, 06:16 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,467,753 times
Jeez, this is bad juju. Very bad. A freakin' Newfoundland, for God's sake? A lot of those breeds you've posted are used in police work, tracking and trailing work (urban, suburban and rural), cadaver search, etc. How does that play out?

What of therapy dogs, physical-assist dogs (think a little Pomeranian can open a door for you, or pick up a telephone, or steady you before you fall from a seizure?). Lord, help us.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:23 PM

Yeah but if it drops the phone on your toe it is clearly a dangerous dog :S
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs