Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 04:08 PM

348 posts, read 1,222,402 times

Advertisements

Hope someone can offer some advice.

Yesterday our 7yr old Jack ate a bag of whole-wheat buns. My hubby accidentally left the pantry door open and she must have helped herself.

I've been up with her since 5am. That is when she started to vomit a clear, frothy like substance.

Then around 7am, the diarraha began. SHe has been urinating when I take her out.

Around 3:30pm my husband said he thinks there may be some blood in her stool.

She has been panting on and off again since 9am and the vomit and diarraha have been throughout the day. Sometimes she will even dry heave (sp?) and nothing comes up.

She wants to drink water but I know it will make her throw-up. She is miserable and I am thinking of taking her to the vet because I don't want this to continue into the night for her sake.

My question: is whole wheat bad for dogs? There were 6 in the bag and there is a possibility our 5 yr old Jack ate some as well, but she is not sick.

Also, what would the vet be able to do? Offer an IV? What signs should I be looking for or is this something that will run it's course? Thanks for any reply. I'm trying to figure out what to do. I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 04:51 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
She may well have an obstruction. DO NOT offer her water if she can't keep it down. All it will do is deplete electrolytes and dehydrate her further. Diarrhea CAN move around an obstruction so just because she's got diarrhea doesn't mean she's not obstructed.

She needs to be seen ASAP by a vet, because she might need surgery to relieve the obstruction.

Obstructions also arise when dogs are given unbaked yeast dough....it's dangerous stuff.

Hope she's doing better soon.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:54 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Vet ASAP. Dehydration is likely, given the diarrhea and vomiting. She needs IV fluids to make it. Go to an emergency vet if you have to, cost is one thing but your dog's life is another! She has been suffering all day - take her in NOW.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:27 PM

Thanks for the advice. We have already contact our after hours vet and are getting ready to take her in.

Will post update..thanks again.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:55 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
The others said what I was going to post..... sorry I was stuck in line at Walmart

Please let us know how things turn out and give your Jack gentle hugs for me.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:51 PM

Update on my JRT:

We admitted her for hospilatization tonight due to mild pancreatitis, according to the drs diagnosis.

After her initial exam, x-ray and lab results, the dr determined that her electrolytes were low and she has a bit of a fever, however, her blood work and sugars were within acceptable range.

He did not see any obstructions and recommended we start IV therapy, antibiotics, a pepcid type med and pain management since she is very uncomfortable.

This will help stabilize her throughout the night and allow her to rehydrate and get some rest. I will be in tomorrow morning to pick her up take her for a follow-up exam at our regular vet.

What made this situation acute was the fact that she had a 'double-dose' of food because she made her way into our pantry and had a feast 2 days in a row! It began on Friday afternoon, I found a loaf of bread on the floor and an empty box of ginger snaps. Then on Sat afternoon, I found an empty bag of buns. So by eating this much 'human food', she had sent her pancreas and liver into 'overdrive.'

of course we feel guilty this happened because the pantry door was left open on both days and this could have been prevented. But I'm glad she's being cared for and we will have to put a post-it note on the pantry door to remind us to KEEP SHUT!

Anyway, I found this website that has alot of info on canine pancreatitis and was helpful to read so thought I'd share if anyone else recognizes similar signs and symptoms, they would be familiar with the disease.

Pancreatitis - Canine

Thanks again, I've got to finish the laundry (we went through alot of towels today!) and get some rest, I'm pooped!

Old 10-05-2008, 09:59 PM

93 posts, read 204,764 times
I hope your girl will recover completely. I have a suggestion, that maybe you stock up on some childproof latch things to add to the pantry and other areas of potential problem? It may not be so much that she can open them herself, but usually having the pesky things on the doors will remind people to close all the way. All the best!

Old 10-05-2008, 10:17 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
I'm sure your girl will be fine, fat little scarfing piglet! Animals are generally smart where food is concerned and don't overindulge but you've got a real maverick there so make sure everything is locked up when you're not at home. An expensive lesson. Cheers!

Old 10-05-2008, 11:03 PM

Update from the urgent care vet (I called just a while ago before I head to bed):
No vomit or dirhhea since we left. She is sound asleep snuggling in her blanket. They were able to get her settled and she's on an IV w/meds.

Good advice TicklerKid, I just told my hubby we should think about that.

and STT, I had to LOL when I read your reply! Thanks for adding some humor, yes she is a lil piglet and loves to scavenge.

She has always had issues with food and trash. We always have to close bathroom doors, put up trash cans and watch her while we feed the other 2 dogs because she will scarf down their food too if they aren't looking.

They require alot of attention and our time but they are worth it, our 3 JRT's bring alot of energy into our life and love them to pieces, even miss piggy!

Trying not to think about that bill we paid, ughhh. Part of life, I know but it still stinks....

Going to make a drink now and hopefully get some rest. Thanks again for all of your replies, great folks here on CD!

Old 10-05-2008, 11:23 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
So glad you took her in and that she's going to be fine! What a relief for you. My son has baby locks on his cabinets, they might work as well, some sort of magnetic thing that you use a magnet to open. No thought to use it when the door is closed, it latches automatically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs