Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 08:22 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this has already been asked, but I need some advice regardless.
My dogs have free run of the house. Nothing smells except the couch. We don't let them on the couch much when we're home, but I'm sure they spend all their time there when we are away.
I've tried Nature's Miracle, arm and hammer, covering with blankets, vacuuming, etc. I HATE the smell of febreeze. I don't want ANYTHING with an odor.

Any suggestions?

it's not urine.... it's just "dog"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 09:41 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Let's see you've tried baking soda, an enzymatic product and neither has worked and you don't like any other neutralizer.... I'll be interested in what others come up with myself.

When were the dogs last bathed?

Old 10-06-2008, 09:43 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Can you actually take off the cushions and wash them? If not, I'd get them professionally cleaned and then keep a washable blanket over it whenever I left the house.
This is what I do, and I need to wash that blanket at least every two weeks or it's gets pretty "doggy".

Old 10-06-2008, 10:01 AM

53 posts, read 332,050 times
Try a slip cover over your couch that can be taken off and washed whenever you need to. They have some inexpensive ones at Bed bath and beyond and target they are nice. I hope this helps! (we had to do this too! but I would eventually like a leather one that doesn't hold smells and lay a blanket on it to wash when they sneek on during the day!)

Old 10-06-2008, 10:19 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
I hate to say this, but your whole house smells and you are just used to it. I had the same problem, only noticing the couch where it was strongest, then I had to leave town for my mother's eventual death and funeral. When I got back, I was overpowered by the wave of "dog" that hit me when I opened the door! A commercial cleaning of all rugs and furniture is in order.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:05 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I hate to say this, but your whole house smells and you are just used to it.
Ditto.

Couch pad covers generally come off and can be thrown into the washing machine.

Otherwise, a top to bottom cleaning of the house is in order, and doing this will avoid the issue again:

Weekly dog scrubbings with the strongest dog shampoo you can find. And I mean scrubbing.
Anal gland expunging every other bath.
Use of a Dyson Animal vacuum, used 2x a week for carpet & tile.
Use of a Bissell carpet cleaner twice a year and for every accident, also for carpet & tile.
Change air filters every 30 days.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:37 PM

93 posts, read 457,367 times
I learned the hard way and now have a plastic cover topped with a machine washable fabric cover. This way, if one of my guys gets sick, the cloth cover can be washed, and the plastic barrier keeps anything (including that dog smell) from reaching the sofa. This doesn't help with you question about how to get rid of the smell, but once you do, you may want to try this.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:50 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,170,015 times
I must proudly announce that my house does not smell llike a dog!!

You can come over anytime and test it!

I have no carpets in the house, tile everywhere, my couches are leather, I replaced them all just for the reason of having 2 dogs.
I clean my house every week, and my dogs eat raw food, which pretty much eliminate distinctive doggy smell.

You can have your dogs NOT go on the couch by placing rubber mats with prickly things up, see what happens. They will learn not to be on the couch very quickly.
Meanwhile, do pro cleaning of the furniture and keep it clean and dog free.

Good luck!

Old 10-06-2008, 07:14 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,733,760 times
I use couch covers and febreeze on the couch.

I also bath the dog twice a week and use a pet perfume on him. We have plug in air fresheners in the hallways.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:21 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
I wouldn't suggest bathing your dog any more frequently than every 8 weeks as it diminishes their natural oils
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs