Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 06:13 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,493,390 times

Advertisements

Last night, I let Tonka out on his long leash around 10 pm right before bed. This was pure laziness on my part... I should have walked him myself instead of giving him his 16 feet of freedom, but I was pooped out. So this is my fault!

He comes trotting back to the front door after taking care of business, but he is hopping on his back leg. I take a look at it, and he's got a few little sticks, leaves, pine straw and assorted muck stuck to his paw.

I pick off all of the debris, but there's this sticky stuff stuck to his paw pad. It looks to be tree sap. I tried wiping it off with a paper towel which didn't work too well... it just shredded. So, I take him upstairs with me to the bathroom, and I get *most* of it off with a wash cloth with warm, soapy water.

He was very good about me messing with his paw, but after about 20 minutes of standing on three legs, he had had enough. Like I said, I got most of the sap off, and he didn't seem interested in licking his paw, so we went to bed.

This morning, he didn't fuss with his paw, but there's still some sap stuck to his paw. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to get it off? If he does lick his paw, will it hurt him?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 11:00 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
Rub vegetable or olive oil into the gummy sap and it should release it. Baby oil works well too. So does liquid hand sanitizer, though I would wash the fur off afterwards so your dog does not ingest it. The oil will not hurt your dog. I have used all of those to remove pine sap from my hands, grease will also come off using those.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:15 AM

Thank you! Now everyone knows what I'll be doing tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Rub vegetable or olive oil into the gummy sap and it should release it. Baby oil works well too. So does liquid hand sanitizer, though I would wash the fur off afterwards so your dog does not ingest it. The oil will not hurt your dog. I have used all of those to remove pine sap from my hands, grease will also come off using those.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:25 PM

342 posts, read 1,831,109 times
Okay, I have no experience with tree sap, but...

If the veg/olive oil doesn't work (a la TheDragonslayer's suggestions), I would try peanut butter. It makes chewing gum less gummy and more crumbly, so it may work for tree sap in a similar fashion.

Like I said, I don't know if it would work or not, but it's something that's totally safe for the dog, and it's worth a shot.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:12 AM

Thanks vemureaux, for the PB suggestion. It would probably work, except for my dog LOVES PB, and I'd have to fight him to get it on his paw. He'd be licking like crazy and wondering if today is his lucky day.

Actually, when I got home last night, I took a look at Tonka's paw. The remaining sap had hardened and I was able to break it off without a problem. It just crumbled in my hands the second I touched it.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:54 AM

1 posts, read 68,944 times
My dog Charles got sap inbetween the pads of his paws today. He's not a big fan of people messing with his paws but apparently the sap was the greater of two evils. I used Purell (or use a generic hand sanitizer) on a cotton ball and he let me take the sap clean off!!!(this took no more than 15 seconds). I then made sure to wipe his paw down with a clean washcloth with warm water and he was back to snuggling with the hubby in no time! (yes I did the work but did not reap the benefits). Thank you Dragonslayer for the amazing tip!!

Old 05-14-2012, 09:23 PM

184 posts, read 702,738 times
rubbing alcohol dissolves tree sap. that's why hand sanitizers work for sap removal.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:50 PM

1 posts, read 46,125 times
Okay so my dog has fresh syrupy pitch and a lot.cut the crusty part off to notice that there is still wet pitch in the middle of his pad. How do I get that off? Or do I have to wait till it gets crusty to remove the rest????? Help!!

Old 05-18-2017, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 26,602 times
To the Dragonslayer Took your advice and used olive oil on my dog's paws that were filled with sticky seeds from the Cottonwood trees in the yard. Worked great! Thank you.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:43 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
I use original Dawn dish washing soap if nothing else is available. Wildlife rescuers use it on ducks and other animals that get trapped in oil slicks. Just rinse it really well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs