U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 12:21 AM

7,533 posts, read 16,329,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
You are so wrong on this!
Id back you up on that. I dont know of many hospitals / animal control that A) keep records of the breed, and B) If they do, dont do it accurately.

I have a really good Animal Control Officer in my town (only have the one ) and I spoke to him about BSL when I was fighting it. He told me that they, and the courts do not keep records of breeds doing the biting (tbh there wasnt really much dog biting either) and attacking. But the City Councilor who was trying to bring in BSL insisted it was the pitbulls and other breeds she tried to ban / make it impossible to own that was doing it all. I asked him for a generalization, was it these breeds that roamed the most, and was the most aggressive. He said no. In fact many of the breeds that where under the fist do not even exist under the City Limits. She did have some, albeit slight backing from the rest of the Council but when I presented the facts, and written statements to them nobody wanted the BSL except her. The sad side was that her dog, got out on three occasions and killed 6 goats (with a few other mutts) and she went to court to fight the dog being put down. Everybody else saw the irony.

My friend one day saw the red and blues from two cars flashing about 2 years ago outside his house. He went out and the two officers with guns drawn (not here anymore) told him to get in the house because a dangerous dog was on the lose. The dog walked up to him and licked him.

It is easy to by into the hype, some people will see the light, others are happy in their belief that they are right and fact is wrong. We will eventually beat BSL, its a slow, hard fight that we will lose many more battles, but we will win many more too. Holland dropping BSL after so long is a huge victory and a step in the right direction for us. So long as I am alive I will fight tooth and nail for my dog, and every dog on BSL, and the neighbors who are too ignorant to BSL and their Lab will never be on the list, and their neighbors and their neighbors.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:09 AM

4,541 posts, read 13,074,630 times
Dog Bite information is held by Health Departments.

One of the issues is that many small dog bites go unreported.

Therefore, statistics are NOT accurate.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:21 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,261,654 times
Ya'll gotta know which side of the fence I'm on regarding this issue...but dog bites go unreported PERIOD if you can find a sympathetic physician. I'd hazard a guess that ERs are the one place where they are probably reported on a regular basis. We had a very ill foster at one time who took issue with my husband changing a bandage on his leg and put some gashes requiring 38 stitches in my husband's arm. This was a mid sized dog, but we have no idea what breed it was :-) A long and varied family tree....but we found the doc in town who doesn't report, or at least he didn't in this case - he knows our passion for our dogs and respects it highly. The arm was sewn up, antibiotics given, and not another word was said - because you can bet we would have had a problem with the animal control people since we have Rottweilers. This wasn't a Rottie, but it would have taken a lot to convince anyone otherwise because of stereotypes....and a great dog could have gone down over a bite that was fear and pain oriented (not to mention that my husband wasn't the brightest bulb in the box when he undertook the bandage changing, but whatever).

Stats are only as good and as accurate as the people reporting them. If a dog bites that is half Lab and half Pit, you can bet it will go down as a Pit bite - not a mixed breed, not a Lab bite, but a Pit. Stereotypes...again.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:54 AM

2,375 posts, read 5,352,332 times
The problem with statistics on dog bites is that very few people can correctly identify a dog's breed.

Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull

If they get bit by a strange dog (or if they know the dog, but don't want to have the dog known as a biter) they will usually pick the first breed that comes to mind that is "known" to be a biter. With all the media attention that would be Pit Bulls at the moment. A few years ago it was Dobermans and German Shepards. In a few years it'll be something else.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:38 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,124,186 times
Not a dog, but a cat....

When my husband was doing a cat rescue a couple of years back, he was badly bitten. It had happened years prior as well and he was in the hospital for days on IVs, so we didn't take any chances on his reaction and we went to the doctor who then promptly sent us to the ER.

Since this was not a pet cat bite, but a feral cat bite, we had no idea if the cat had rabies. We were required to complete a Health Department report. But....no questions of the type of cat, breed of cat, etc. were asked - not even a physical description - just "feral cat".

I wonder if it's different for dogs and they ask breed? Is it different from state to state (probably?)?

Old 10-21-2008, 07:45 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,124,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
The problem with statistics on dog bites is that very few people can correctly identify a dog's breed.

Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull

If they get bit by a strange dog (or if they know the dog, but don't want to have the dog known as a biter) they will usually pick the first breed that comes to mind that is "known" to be a biter. With all the media attention that would be Pit Bulls at the moment. A few years ago it was Dobermans and German Shepards. In a few years it'll be something else.
That's a great link , thanks!

Old 10-21-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Not a dog, but a cat....

When my husband was doing a cat rescue a couple of years back, he was badly bitten. It had happened years prior as well and he was in the hospital for days on IVs, so we didn't take any chances on his reaction and we went to the doctor who then promptly sent us to the ER.

Since this was not a pet cat bite, but a feral cat bite, we had no idea if the cat had rabies. We were required to complete a Health Department report. But....no questions of the type of cat, breed of cat, etc. were asked - not even a physical description - just "feral cat".

I wonder if it's different for dogs and they ask breed? Is it different from state to state (probably?)?
I got all of the dog bite reports from the local health department when I was going through the thing I went through. They're around here somewhere in a box and I have no idea where but I would think that all health departments are going to be similar forms.

SOME of them had a Police Report attached.

All of them stated the type of dog.

It was very educational how they were handled. It really depended upon what officer was there -- not on the seriousness of the injury or the type of behavior that caused the problem.

It really boiled down to the luck of the draw... and who you were. For instance, there was a city official whose neighbor's dog bit him in the mouth badly enough that he needed several stitches. Nothing happened to that dog. (That report didn't make it into my bundle, either.) But, if it was one particular type of dog (or the wrong officer) the dog was gone -- regardless.

I guess you know what kind of dog was never given a break...

Old 10-23-2008, 07:02 AM

63 posts, read 321,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
When I was looking for an apartment three years ago, I had two places turn me away because I have a Siberian Husky. They allowed dogs, even big dogs, but Siberians were on their list of forbidden breeds. When I asked one woman why, she said it was because they were aggressive. Astonishing.

When I was looking for an apartment last year for a short term lease, many apartments wouldn't take German Shepherds. My favorite was the complex that said, "No, we don't take German Shepherds. When do you want to come look at the apartment?"

Idiot. What, I was going to leave my dog in the car for six months!

Old 10-23-2008, 07:03 AM

63 posts, read 321,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Dog Bite information is held by Health Departments.

One of the issues is that many small dog bites go unreported.

Therefore, statistics are NOT accurate.

Also, many of the dog bites I'm aware of happen when two dogs get into a fight and the owner reaches into the middle of it to split the dogs up. I'm not saying I wouldn't do the same thing, but I do think that dog bite is totally different then a situation when a dog simply walks up and attacks a person.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:32 AM

Default I agree. It should be different but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepla View Post
Also, many of the dog bites I'm aware of happen when two dogs get into a fight and the owner reaches into the middle of it to split the dogs up. I'm not saying I wouldn't do the same thing, but I do think that dog bite is totally different then a situation when a dog simply walks up and attacks a person.
Interesting, there were a couple of similar situations in the reports I got.

Unfortunately, all that "matters" in the eyes of the law is that something happened. To them, a bite is a bite.

In some cities they talk about provocation being considered but IMHO that will probably entail hiring a lawyer to prove it.
Cost of legal fees is only one cost when you come to that. Some towns require that the dog be "boarded" until the case comes to trial which can be months.

And, many towns have written special laws for those situations. If a dog injures another dog -- that dog is guilty.

It really comes down to where you are living, the laws in effect and how your community views dog laws.
If a particular City Attorney is gung ho on enforcing their laws... just move! Save yourself a lot of grief.

In the end, they'll win. It's totally their choice. They hold all of the cards unless you go to a jury trial which is part two - and appeal.
That costs more money and time.

The time to be involved is BEFORE you find yourself in a bad situation. Not only does that mean prevention but it means KNOWING what is being discussed at your City Council meetings. Be Proactive. Get involved...

Know who you're voting for and how they stand on issues relating to your companion animals.
It's about your own, personal rights and equal protection under the law. It could literally mean the life of your dog.

Don't assume it could never happen to YOU !

sorry... I'll get off my soapbox. But PLEASE hear me... this is an extremely important issue facing dog owners today.

Last edited by World Citizen; 10-23-2008 at 10:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs