U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:39 PM

3,322 posts, read 3,315,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It was a panel of a dozen very intelligent people. I take it you are one that loves the breed. How does it make you feel reading the mauling headlines on a daily basis?

It's about the owner. I own a .50 cal and I think I should be allowed to own it. The restrictions are great as they should be as I don't think everyone should be allowed to own it without showing responsibility. I don't think every baggy pants, tatoo covered lacky should be allowed to own a Pit.
Thus the constant articles about death and maulings.

The bad owners are giving the good owners a bad rep. It's too bad you are outnumbered.
You own a .50 cal and you are talking about overcompensation?! That's RICH right there.

I didn't get my dog to show off to anyone or any crap like that. I got my dog, cause I fostered his mom, and he was the only pup from the litter that was homeless, so I gave him a home.

You are stereotyping APBT owners are morons, or thugs, which is FAR from the truth. I don't wear baggy pants (unless sweats at the gym or sleeping in count!), I have ONE tattoo I got when my grandmother died, and I am FAR from a lacky.

Most people are too ignorant to pick out a properly bred APBT in a lineup of 10 dogs, not to mention any mixed breed short haired dog with a decent sized head will be labeled as a pit bull, even if there is no APBT in the genes.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:41 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,719,652 times
Aside from pups I have had and a training accident with my Rottie I miscalculated where the sleeve was on my arm. I think she felt worse about it than I did...the bites I have recieved have been from Dobermans...Do "I" consider them dangerous? Nope. I worry more about the little dogs...they're fast!

Old 01-27-2009, 12:52 AM

1,501 posts, read 3,994,527 times
I have to nominate Terriers. I LOVE Terriers, my Terrier was like my child, and my friend had a wire-haired. If you value your ankles... AT ALL....

Chihuahuas are another breed I love but have to nominate for the running, PROCEED WITH CAUTION! Those little teeth are PINS!

Cocker Spaniels definately deserve consideration. My other friend had a phychotic one. The critter had some issues.

This should be a poll. :>)

I think I responded to this thread waay back, but not sure. Apologies to these breeds if a repeat. :>)

Old 01-27-2009, 01:21 AM

124 posts, read 169,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawagners View Post
We have to muzzle small dogs a LOT more then big dogs and we see an even number. As for pit bulls, love the breed. Very loving, never have had a bad one and we have lots that come in for baths and nail trims. My opinion is you can train ANY breed to be mean and aggressive (not just pit bulls) so bottom line is it's the owners NOT the dog.
I will second that. I work at a pet store, and my state (or maybe just city, not sure how far it extends) has required a strict muzzle law on pit bulls, and I have never, in as long as I worked there and before this law, met a mean pit bull. I have, however, been bit by a few rat terriers and other dogs you wouldn't 'assume' would be aggressive. Any stereotype, whether human or animal, should never be completely followed.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:24 AM

218 posts, read 373,011 times
I can't believe boxers are on the list! Boxers are one of the best dogs I've ever had. I do not believe in bad breeds, just bad people.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:29 AM

124 posts, read 169,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megafoxy View Post
I can't believe boxers are on the list! Boxers are one of the best dogs I've ever had. I do not believe in bad breeds, just bad people.
I have to agree, and also add rots to the i can't believe list. I have met and seen so many rotts that are just fiercly dedicated to their families, and not in a vicious way meaning they'll attack anything, they know to attack when it's necessary. but a majority of the families that come in with rotties also have small children, and they are always surrounding the dog, giving it pets or treats or whatever, and they'll just lap it up. on the other hand, i had a scottish terrier as a very young kid (I believer I was about 5 when we gave her away) that absolutely hated everyone except the established family, and since I was not one of those lucky few with my age, I continually got bit over and over, and we eventually gave her to a loving home of an older couple. But the point being, no matter the breed, you can't judge. i mean, what happened to saying you can't judge a book by its cover?

Old 01-27-2009, 01:35 AM

218 posts, read 373,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakuda View Post
I have to agree, and also add rots to the i can't believe list. I have met and seen so many rotts that are just fiercly dedicated to their families, and not in a vicious way meaning they'll attack anything, they know to attack when it's necessary. but a majority of the families that come in with rotties also have small children, and they are always surrounding the dog, giving it pets or treats or whatever, and they'll just lap it up. on the other hand, i had a scottish terrier as a very young kid (I believer I was about 5 when we gave her away) that absolutely hated everyone except the established family, and since I was not one of those lucky few with my age, I continually got bit over and over, and we eventually gave her to a loving home of an older couple. But the point being, no matter the breed, you can't judge. i mean, what happened to saying you can't judge a book by its cover?
I also believe that the BSL is kinda racist in away. I mean its like saying a certain race or religion should not be allowed to exsist.

My friend thinks that banning pitbulls means that it is saving their lives, but how is keeping something for ever exsisting agian saving them?

Old 01-27-2009, 11:57 AM

728 posts, read 1,298,280 times
There is no such thing as a dangerous dog breed. There are, however, human specimens who are quite dangerous and they can and do shape canine behavior in maladaptive ways.

I have raised and loved Pit Bulls all my adult life and have never had the slightest difficulty with them at all. My dogs have all been showered with love and continual reinforcement of positive behavior traits and I've had superior results with these unmatched canines. I have even rescued former pit fighting dogs and given them the same loving home I give all my dogs and they eventually respond in kind. It is the vile human element that distorts and "weapon-izes" dogs. To suggest otherwise indicates a person's lack of intimate familiarity with the breed in question.

Last edited by dracul; 01-27-2009 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: gangsta types need not apply

Old 01-27-2009, 12:12 PM

2,612 posts, read 3,482,860 times
Quote:
To suggest otherwise indicates a person's lack of intimate familiarity with the breed in question.
and a complete lack of familiarity with animal or human psychology in general.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:15 PM

543 posts, read 1,604,254 times
For those who assume that big dogs are the most dangerous.....perhaps I should post a picture of a woman in my area that was recently bitten by a cocker spaniel in the face. She had to get over 40+ stitches and will have a scar for the rest of her life!

Again, I say that all dogs are dangerous. It's not limited to any specific breed, rather their animal instinct to become aggressive when they feel threatened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs