U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 09:36 AM

4,334 posts, read 12,198,588 times

Advertisements

Where is the most dangerous people list?

Old 10-10-2008, 09:45 AM

43,409 posts, read 52,403,598 times
Chows are always on the list of most dog bites. Part of what makes them dangerous is that they seem pretty unassuming and unaggresive and tend to attack with little or no warning (that we perceive - I am sure there is some doggie signal that people are missing).

Some stats:

There currently are 74.8 million dogs in the USA.

1. [SIZE=4]There are approximately 4.5 million reported dog bites annually in the United States. [/SIZE]Dog bites send nearly 368,000 victims to hospital emergency departments per year.
2. 16,476 dog bites to persons aged 16 years or greater were work related.
3. Every year 2,851 letter carriers are bitten.
4. In 2007, there were 33 fatal dog maulings in the USA.
5. [SIZE=4]Mixed breeds and not pure bred dogs are the type of dog most often involved in inflicting bites to people. The pure-bred dogs most often involved are German shepherds and Chow chows.
6. Dogs who are not spayed/neutered are 3 times more likely to bite.
7. [/SIZE][SIZE=4]In the United States, pit bulls make up one to three per cent of the overall dog population and cause more than 50 per cent of serious attacks.[/SIZE]

CLIFTON STUDY:

Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People, has conducted an unusually detailed study of dog bites from 1982 to the present. (Clifton, Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to November 13, 2006; click here (http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf - broken link) to read it.) The Clifton study show the number of serious canine-inflicted injuries by breed. The author's observations about the breeds and generally how to deal with the dangerous dog problem are enlightening.

According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings. In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Clifton states:
If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:04 AM

21,716 posts, read 21,610,835 times
Quote:
I read somewhere that pits don't have locking jaws, and their jaw structure are as normal as any other dog.
Well of course they dont. No more than rotts are inherently aggressive. LOL. I've had pits for about 2 yrs now. Before that, rotts for 18 +yrs and prior to that chows. During that time also various other breeds and mixes. The only thing I see that makes one breed more dangerous is their strength, unpredictibility and tenacity. Attributes that are also part of their charm.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:08 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,887,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
7 of 9 There are lots of dog breeds that have black tongues!
Really? Wow I did not know that. I thought it was inherent to the chow, but of course most of my chow lessons come from Miss Martha.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:12 AM

702 posts, read 2,242,402 times
That list and the information accompanying it is useless IMO. If you don't know the history of a breed, what the dog was bred for and how to care for it don't own it. I think we would have a lot less problems with dogs if we have educated and responsible owners.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:22 AM

15,847 posts, read 30,265,720 times
When I worked as an insurance inspector we were required to note any "dangerous breeds". The Dalmation was not on our list. But all of the rest were, including the Akita which did not make the top 10 apparently. As for the Chow-Chow, they are considered dangerous. If you have ever come across one that did not belong to you, then you would understand they are MOST DEFINITELY one-person dogs and very, very protective of their surroundings. For that reason I am kind of surprised that Catahoulas did not make the list. I have been growled out, menacingly by every one that I have ever come into contact with.

That having been said. I have yet to meet a Pitbull that was not the sweetest dog on earth, although I am always cautious about *ANY* dog who does not know me. Mind you, I have had more Pomeranians and Minpins who have literally physically attacked me far more times than ANY of the dogs listed. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-10-2008, 10:25 AM

43,409 posts, read 52,403,598 times
20yrs...yeah, man, some of those small dogs are downright scary! But they're unlikely to be able to kill anyone (besides a baby/toddler).

Old 10-10-2008, 11:24 AM

3,412 posts, read 9,197,784 times
I'm so proud of my GSD, It made it to the 3rd place!!

Old 10-10-2008, 12:18 PM

7,541 posts, read 16,351,968 times
I didnt bother to read that garbage. I read down the posts and saw they mentioned lock jaw on Pits. Anybody who believes that will believe anything IMHO and thats all I am gonna say.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:29 PM

973 posts, read 2,966,717 times
My family has always had dogs of one kind or another and I gotta tell you, the meanest dogs I've ever seen are the poodles and chihuahuas. Talk about a chip on their shoulder. I had big dogs that were wimps in comparison.

A police officer told me he had more complaints about big dogs because people tended to be afraid of them but animal control picked up more small dogs for biting.

The breed is only part of the picture. How an animal is raised is the other part. The most friendly, loving dog I've ever had was my pit bull, Megan.

Some big dogs get a bad rep because of all the thugs who buy them and try to make them aggressive. It impresses their other dirt-bag friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs