U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 08:10 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,661,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It was a panel of a dozen very intelligent people. I take it you are one that loves the breed. How does it make you feel reading the mauling headlines on a daily basis?

It's about the owner. I own a .50 cal and I think I should be allowed to own it. The restrictions are great as they should be as I don't think everyone should be allowed to own it without showing responsibility. I don't think every baggy pants, tatoo covered lacky should be allowed to own a Pit.
Thus the constant articles about death and maulings.

The bad owners are giving the good owners a bad rep. It's too bad you are outnumbered.
Im in the military and own a pitt. Way to try and continue the BS stereotype that pitt owners are thugs. How about my dog is a great guard dog and Im sorry I wouldnt feel as safe if it was just our coawrdly golden. It really does amaze me that yet again some one blames the dog and not the owner. Perhaps we should have tougher restrictions on adopting Pitts.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:41 PM

4,705 posts, read 10,126,357 times
I have been reading this post and have a comment about small aggressive dogs. Ever notice how many of them make the shows like America's funniest Video with their aggressive behavior? It is usually a clip of them attacking some one or growling and I have always wondered what is funny about that? To me there is something wrong with some one that sees that as funny. I wish those shows would not use those clips.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:21 PM

702 posts, read 2,242,402 times
I agree Dashdog - I was at an outdoor cafe in Lincoln Park, Chicago and the people next to us had a miniature Schnauzer who kept growling and lunging at people as they walked by the table (which they had to because the tables were on the sidewalk). The people at the table were laughing about it. I turned to them and told them I didn't think it was funny and that their dog was behaving aggressively. If that had been my dog we would have been asked to leave right away!

I have no problem with dogs that have behavioral issues as long as the owners are working to improve the behavior and keep their dog under control.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:16 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,160,564 times
Quote:
I'm just screwin around

I did do a paper in College about Pits which was about trying to decipher why people own them over other breeds. We had a panel and found 1 thing a pit could do that other more docile, predictable breeds couldn't do. Guess what it was?

Bringing down hogs on a hunt
. Otherwise it pretty much is the Psyche of the owner.

Hence the "compensator" synonym

Other than a higher % of turning on people..........and killing them, other breeds do the job just as well.
That's true, they're used here in NEFL for hunting boar . They use pit bulls and American bulldogs.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:30 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,160,564 times
It bears questioning, with this list of "dangerous dogs" - dangerous to WHO?

Are these dogs supposed to be dangerous to people, or to other dogs?

We always end up blurring the lines on that distinction in these discussions. Some dog breeds are known to have a possibility of dog-dog aggression, but dog-human aggression is a much lower risk. The 2 are not one in the same.

And for what it's worth - I wish pit bulls would fall out of favor. I wish the demand would dry up and all the backyard breeders would be put out of business. The reality is that they are one of the most popular dogs out there and we hear lots about them, and mostly negative (sensationalism sells ).

Old 10-15-2008, 05:18 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,284,441 times
Quote:
It was a panel of a dozen very intelligent people. I take it you are one that loves the breed. How does it make you feel reading the mauling headlines on a daily basis?

It's about the owner. I own a .50 cal and I think I should be allowed to own it. The restrictions are great as they should be as I don't think everyone should be allowed to own it without showing responsibility. I don't think every baggy pants, tatoo covered lacky should be allowed to own a Pit.
Thus the constant articles about death and maulings.

The bad owners are giving the good owners a bad rep. It's too bad you are outnumbered.
Just as any ol' baggy pants should not be allowed to own a .50 cal. The bad owners are giving the good owners a bad reputation there as well. It's too bad you're outnumbered. The only difference is that the people that get "mauled" or killed by a .50 cal don't grab the headlines anymore because we're immune to bad news for the most part. Used to grab the headlines, though....way back in the day. The other difference is that no one - NO ONE - is trying to eradicate .50 cal from the face of the earth and you are not required to buy a liability policy and not declined for homeowner's insurance for your gun. The gun lobbyists will make sure you can have your precious firearm, but with mass hysteria and panic over dogs being owned by crummy owners, you can bet your bottom dollar the movement will escalate to nearly completely wipe out the APBT. If there was public outcry every time a child is killed by a handgun you'd soon see the pressure build on gun owners. Oh, we all cry foul when it happens, but it fades and then the pressure is on to prosecute the PERSON holding the gun and not the gun. Same difference, or it should be. And every time a child is killed, no one is yelling "but it was a .50 CAL"...oops, no, it was a .22, sorry. Almost every time without fail there is a serious dog bite or death, it's a "pit bull"...and often is not, but no one makes the correction, so the stigma lives on.

Face it - it's the thugs with the dogs the public is afraid of. No one was afraid of this breed until the bangers decided it was cool....and no one was afraid of the Uzi when it was just another Israeli infantry war gun, either.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:54 AM

717 posts, read 1,770,699 times
Several good points. Many quite valid...others less so. Being a lifetime owner of Pit Bulls, and a former corrections and police officer quite familiar with various guns I tend to agree with those opinions stressing the importance of ownership. I've had these marvelous dogs long before the thugs discovered them to be great covers for their collective insecurities. I actually treat my dogs and numerous guns in similar fashion; with great respect and care. Both are potentially lethal and both require my attention and diligence. I enjoy both and have had no problems with either over thirty years to date. Ownership of both requires maturity and a sense of responsibility.

P.S. Hunting pigs on the Big Island of Hawai'i with pits is quite popular and has been so for decades. Some of my own dogs have seen such action years ago. Few other breeds are so rugged, dependable, athletic, intuitive and deeply courageous as the noble Pit Bull...in fact...few humans can match them in these regards. I continually take inspiration from my beautiful canine friends.

Last edited by dracul; 10-15-2008 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: Had to add the bit about pig hunting on Mauna Loa forest reserve.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:04 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,556,376 times
I treat my dogs like children...I don't approve of misbehaving kids and don't approve of misbehaving dogs. I've had a lab, shih-tzu, lhasas and now a golden. Big or small, they will behave if I have any say in it. Like I will look towards other parents when kids misbehave, but have an understanding of the situation under which the child was subjected to, I will look at any dog owner to develop proper behavior in the dog while being cognizant of its breed and natural predisposition as a canine.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:00 AM
miu

17,104 posts, read 34,528,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
And for what it's worth - I wish pit bulls would fall out of favor. I wish the demand would dry up and all the backyard breeders would be put out of business. The reality is that they are one of the most popular dogs out there and we hear lots about them, and mostly negative (sensationalism sells ).
I agree! The population of pit bulls needs to be shrunk greatly. I think that even the good owners of pits should curtail breeding of their dogs. The last few nights, I've been going through the lists of available dogs of all breeds in the New England area as I search for another dog, and it's very disturbing and depressing how many adult pit bulls are needing rehoming. Not only that, but the huge majority of available dogs in the shelters and rescues are pits and pit mixes. In so many municipal animal shelters, they have only pits available. There are just too many pits and not enough good owners for them.

And I don't think that you ever need to worry about pit bulls being eradicated into near extinction. What needs to be done is make sure only responsible people own them.

Quote:
Did you know: An unspayed female dog, her mate, and all of their puppies and their puppies' puppies, if none are ever spayed or neutered, can add up to over 12,000 dogs in 5 years!

Old 10-15-2008, 10:02 AM
miu

17,104 posts, read 34,528,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
Several good points. Many quite valid...others less so. Being a lifetime owner of Pit Bulls, and a former corrections and police officer quite familiar with various guns I tend to agree with those opinions stressing the importance of ownership. I've had these marvelous dogs long before the thugs discovered them to be great covers for their collective insecurities. I actually treat my dogs and numerous guns in similar fashion; with great respect and care. Both are potentially lethal and both require my attention and diligence. I enjoy both and have had no problems with either over thirty years to date. Ownership of both requires maturity and a sense of responsibility..
Great post!! I agree completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs