Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2008, 03:20 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times

Advertisements

- in these shaky economic times. I so worry about the organizations that I support (and the ones I don't). If people are able, I do hope they'll continue to support their chosen charitable organizations as much as they usually do, if not more. If able. Even $25 to one group is a help to that group.

I look at the Best Friends website as a respite from political and economic obsessions, and re-appreciate my home and mutts.
Hope everyone out there is OK with their animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 03:43 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,347,049 times
This is also the time of year for United Way donations at the work site. Please look up the United Way donation number for your local animal rescues.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:41 AM

414 posts, read 1,862,724 times
Default United Way takes their cut...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
This is also the time of year for United Way donations at the work site. Please look up the United Way donation number for your local animal rescues.
I personally only donate directly to the local humane society and aspca. The United Way, while doing a great job helping organizations, take their administrative cut. They lop their part off the top and give the rest to the charity. Then the charity takes their administrative cut and gives the rest to programs. It's better to give directly to the charity so the most money goes to the cause.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:28 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash330 View Post
I personally only donate directly to the local humane society and aspca. The United Way, while doing a great job helping organizations, take their administrative cut. They lop their part off the top and give the rest to the charity. Then the charity takes their administrative cut and gives the rest to programs. It's better to give directly to the charity so the most money goes to the cause.
Very true. We do the same thing.

Charity Navigator - America's Largest Charity Evaluator | Home This website gives a break down of what each national and some state charities use financially for administration and what their CEO earns yearly. This website also shows how much of donations go to what the charity claims to serve. For those of you not familar with this website...it is very much worth a few mintues of your time.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:57 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,347,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash330 View Post
I do give directly to various humane associations; however, I know that I am not the only person on this board who is "encouraged and expected" to contribute to United Way. I just wanted to remind those who are in a similar position that there is a way to contribute and at least have control of where their donation is going.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:00 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I do give directly to various humane associations; however, I know that I am not the only person on this board who is "encouraged and expected" to contribute to United Way. I just wanted to remind those who are in a similar position that there is a way to contribute and at least have control of where their donation is going.
But that's what bothers me about the United Way...the pressure put on businesses who in turn place it on the employees to have monthly deductions (or a one time % of your salary gift) for United Way. It is pressure...I have worked at places that have litterally pushed this onto people. Personally, I want the control to give my money as I see pleasing to myself, to my household and to what we feel passionate about. This is not an excuse not to give, b/c we strongly believe in giving.

Sorry...this is moving off the original topic. There will be no more from me on the United Way.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:19 PM

414 posts, read 1,862,724 times
The good thing is that you can designate where you send your donations. The United Way still takes their administrative cut, but at least they will allocate to the charity you designate.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:18 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,909,997 times
I worked at a company that had an annual United Way drive and we were all pressured to donate. I have always shared a similar concern about the reduction in the total donations as a result of the United Way's administrative fee. I had an interesting talk with someone at a local non-profit group that received UW donations. I wanted to donate directly to this group and not through the UW. The director asked me not to. He said that while I was correct in my math, by donating through the UW his group became eligible for more support in the long run than they would get through individual, direct donations. He made a convincing case for his group. After that, when I had the option to donate through UW or directly to an organization, I called the group first and asked them what their preference was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs