U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2008, 04:21 PM

16,487 posts, read 21,010,430 times

Advertisements

I watched the TV show "The Greatest American Dog" and came to just love the little Maltese Andrew on that show. It made me consider getting one when I do decide to get a dog. I believe they are like Yorkies in that they have hair like people and do not actively shed. Can anyone here tell me anymore about Maltese? I want a devoted lap type dog, one that does not shed, not a real yappy dog either. Do their eyes tear up and turn dark like poodles? Any info appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 04:48 PM

7,079 posts, read 34,456,327 times
I did a LOT of research on all the toy breeds prior to going with a pug, and I'm glad I did.

Maltese ARE yappy little dogs. Very yappy. And they need regular (= expensive) professional grooming. They do get the red stain under the eyes. There's a remedy for that, but I don't recommend it, as it's essentially an antibiotic and if there's no need for an antibiotic, the dog should not get it (it's called Bright Eyes, or something like that). They're also prone to develop retinal atrophy, which results in blindness. They're also very sensitive to extreme weather conditions - too hot and too cold are dangerous for them. They're very cute, devoted dogs. Like all toy dogs they also have knee problems that can require surgery and, also common to toy dogs, they have a tendency to have congenital liver shunts, which, if they can't be surgically corrected, are fatal.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:13 AM

2,520 posts, read 5,342,574 times
The best remedy I've found for tear stains is keeping a white dog on distilled water. I have a Westie and he's sparkling white. I too fell in love w/ little Andrew and his devotion to his mom. Like any dog, there will always be one that is unique to the breed. I'm not sure if Andrew was an exception, but he'd be hard not to welcome into my home.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:32 PM

7,136 posts, read 10,978,469 times
I have a maltese named Tiger and I wouldn't hesitate to get another maltese. We researched dogs for two years before we ever got Tiger and he's grown up with our kids. We've had him since he was a pup and he's now eight years old. He is an absolute delight and the most gentlemanly dog I've ever owned. He is eight pounds of love. He is not a lap dog, but he does sit down next to me, on my left side, any time I sit down. He's quite devoted to me and is good with everyone else, but not as attached. He does need to be brushed and he does have tear stains, but that's no big deal to me. My husband, who is not a dog person, adores this dog. Tiger is the only dog who has ever had bed privileges in our house. Tiger was absolutely quiet until he got neutered, but after that got a little barky. As a rule, he only barks when there's someone coming or going or he needs to potty, but he is noisier than he was initially. He is nonshedding and very mellow. Out of all the dogs we've owned - a chihuahua, a shihtzupoo, a yorkiepoo, and him, a maltese, he is the easiest to deal with. I cannot say enough good things about our Tiger. Best wishes!

Old 10-12-2008, 04:41 PM

19,813 posts, read 55,762,637 times
My almost=DIL had one and it needed daily grooming. It is also fragile, like all small dogs, so your children have to be old enough to understand how to handle/play with them. I like big dogs and it just seemed like a lot of trouble for something that was more like a cat than a dog.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:03 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,479,264 times
another choice may be the australian terrier, or Bichon but go with a breeder from the dog club!

Old 10-17-2008, 07:06 PM

1,899 posts, read 4,142,099 times
I have a Maltese and I've never seen anything, any other dog like it. He's almost human...LOL. He's not attuned to other dogs at all; he's totally into me and the other people in the house.

He's not yappy at all. Hardly ever barks.

I've had Yorkies, Shih Tzu, other small breeds and the Maltese is the only breed I've seen that truly DOES NOT SHED. Not at all.

He doesn't seem "fragile" to me.

As for daily grooming, he's in a puppy cut, so I don't have a lot of grooming.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:17 AM

1 posts, read 5,821 times
Jodi has just come back from grooming and seems less active. I don't know what happen to him. He doesnt want to play or run he just sits or sleeps. When he walks hes arching his back and jumping. Please help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs