Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 03:16 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,936,159 times

Advertisements

I work from home quite a bit and ideally would like to have my one year old new hound mix (just adopted from shelter Thurs.) have the run of the apartment. But so far I can't get any work done and need to keep my job...Friday she was great and just sat on the sofa with me but yesterday and today she is flying all over the place.

I take her for very long walks but she's still wound up.

If it's ok to crate them when you're at work, is it ok to crate them while working from home too? This way at least I'm here to walk her at lunch.

Right now she's in the crate and is nice and calm. I'm just not sure how much crate is too much. I don't want her to sleep in it necessarily but she did last night after late night crazies...thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 03:46 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,353,133 times
Have you tried to give it distractions ? Squeaky toys, bones, balls, balls with bells or anything like that ? The dog probably just wants attention. I would say if you really need to crate, you can but not the whole day. Can you give it run of the kitchen ? Or run of the house with toys. Presumeable you take breaks they an be you and dog time, time for you guys to bond. The first few weeks are vital for the dog to get to know your personality, and more importantly, you to know your dog.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Have you tried to give it distractions ? Squeaky toys, bones, balls, balls with bells or anything like that ? The dog probably just wants attention. I would say if you really need to crate, you can but not the whole day. Can you give it run of the kitchen ? Or run of the house with toys. Presumeable you take breaks they an be you and dog time, time for you guys to bond. The first few weeks are vital for the dog to get to know your personality, and more importantly, you to know your dog.
She has a ton of toys - I'd keep her in the kitchen but it's a pass-through, and I think she can clear the counter! I'd like her to have the run of the house (though I do believe crates are good) - the problem is that I can't work if she's play biting - the nature of my job requires a ton of concentration and for example right now she's shoving her whole body at me, haha.

Are you saying not to crate at all, ever?

Old 10-12-2008, 04:49 PM

5,553 posts, read 6,720,072 times
I think it's OK to crate a dog when you are home if there is balanced time.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:54 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,353,133 times
No I belive in the crate system too, I still crate my dog at night time. It it a young dog ? Is it biting cause of teeth ? Has it got hard toys it can really sink its teeth into ?
It seems it just wants attention too, so as I said when you take a break make it dog time and see if that helps. You might be able to wear it out. Maybe a mile or so walk before work to take some of the dogs energy out ?

Old 10-12-2008, 04:56 PM

5,553 posts, read 6,720,072 times
I should have said I was like you - wanting a dog to have the run of the house - and hated crating the dog. I finally did, and it's all worked out, especially when people come over because he would jump. My dog isn't the type to now voluntarily go into his crate, but other dogs do a turnaround later and seem to like it. Maybe it's because he sleeps with me at night that he doesn't think of it as a place to sleep.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:59 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,656,791 times
The rule for crating is no more than four hours at a time. Sometimes that can't be helped but you should try to have someone give the dog a break after that period. If you can't tire her out with a walk try jogging if you can or maybe riding a bike.
Don

Old 10-12-2008, 06:08 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,633,403 times
in the a.m. walk the dog, and feed the dog. Then crate the dog for maybe 3 hours with toys, bones
in another room. You go to work, and the dog naps, or plays, then 3 hours later, walk the dog
for 20 minutes for potty, give a treat. Then crate and return to work. Then works end, walk and play.

jenny

Old 10-12-2008, 06:21 PM

Thanks guys - I like the idea of crate time with time for breaks, I think that will work out pretty well. Plus when I have conference calls I need calm dog and not hyper crazy dog, so that would have to be crate time (she only whines for a minute or so and then goes to sleep) (except earlier she tried to chew up the crate pad)

She is a year and three months according to the shelter, was impounded from her former home but I don't know why. She's actually very good but as a young dog wants to play all the time and does not get tired. We went on some long walks today and they only energized her! They tired ME out!

The bike idea is a good idea if I find a good location (this isn't it, too much traffic)

Eventually I'll take her to where she can run but until she's spayed next week that's out of the question...

Old 10-12-2008, 06:29 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,130,617 times
I look at it this way....

Would you take your dog to the office with you if you worked outside your home? Probably not. So why is working at home any different? When you work at home, you should focus as much on your job as you would if you worked outside it. That means keeping all distractions of your personal life to a minimum - and if your dog needs to be crated in a separate room, so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs