U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 09:49 AM

19,817 posts, read 55,828,607 times

Advertisements

Act like the mama dog and say "Bah" very roughly when the puppy does something you don't like. Speak in a high-pitched happy tone when you give praise. You'll be surprised at how quickly they understand. Dogs don't understand long instructions, they understand body language and maybe a short word or two. Act like his mama!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 12:29 PM

409 posts, read 2,542,713 times
My shih tzu is a year. She is sweet, but velkro lately. As everyone knows she runs from my husband and anybody big tghat walks in our home. She is expecially growly with him. He is Italian and talks loud sometimes but someone with a rescue said her husband was the loudest ever and was fine. I enrolled her in obedience end of month and hope they can help but he can't walk well and won't be able to go with me. He's lost interest anyway, it's been a month and she hasnt changed one iota with him but yet two spanish guys came here to repair the tv and she didnt growl at them!!!

Old 11-15-2008, 03:10 PM

7,079 posts, read 34,476,037 times
Mimosa, you have MONTHS of this ahead of you. I've said this again and again, it's going to take MONTHS, not ONE month. And he might just look like someone who hurt her in the past. That makes the hurdle higher.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:58 PM

3 posts, read 8,979 times
the alpha roll is being discontinued everywhere. STOP doing that ASAP you will make him worse!! He needs to go to puppy kindergarten..and take the kids too!

Old 11-20-2008, 09:24 AM

947 posts, read 2,994,524 times
ALL dogs Need training, big small... ALL

It is as simple as that. (of course with work involved!)

Enroll in training class. Having a dog is work, it does not come with the knowledge already instilled, must be learned. Dog must learn but also people must learn too, and be consistence, the whole family/household members, all need to have this knowledge.

Dogs Want to do the right thing, they don't want to be confused and anxious and not knowing what their owners want from them. I believe that any and all dogs would benefit from a training course and more than one if needed, leash trained etc.!!!

This is just my opinion but I do believe that with time, training and consistency there will be an obedient doggie on your hands!

Old 02-17-2013, 07:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,057 times
I kept three of my mommas. Schiz z . i am having problems with their aggressive behavior towards one another. When i separate them i end up getting bite pretty bad. I am afraid i mite ned to get rid of one of the females . I have two females plus a male. Any suggestions.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,967 times
i have this 3 month old male shih tzu , even if i told him not to bite, he's still do it .he keeps on biting our feet and hands . i don't know what to do . any suggestions?

Old 05-01-2013, 08:54 PM

1,699 posts, read 3,541,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nininiks View Post
i have this 3 month old male shih tzu , even if i told him not to bite, he's still do it .he keeps on biting our feet and hands . i don't know what to do . any suggestions?
He is being completely normal for his age. Here's my guide to help him through this stage, but realize this is just part of owning a puppy.

Puppy Biting / Mouthing:

There are 2 schools of thought here. One philosophy is that a dog's mouth should never touch human flesh (or clothing). If this is your goal, then you will put the plan below into action the instant puppy's teeth touch your skin or clothes. The other school of thought is that in order to teach excellent bite inhibition, we must allow puppies to 'mouth' us, as their dog mothers and littermates do, and then provide feedback as to what level of bite is acceptable (i.e. gentle mouthing is fine, a harder bite that hurts or wounds is NOT). If this is your goal, then you will follow the plan below from the instant the bite goes from gentle and painless to harder and uncomfortable.

The plan is: as soon as the unwanted biting occurs you make a LOUD sound, pause for a second, then offer an appropriate chew item as a substitute for your flesh. If one more bite occurs, make a LOUD sound and completely remove pup's access to you and interaction with you for 20-40 seconds (any longer and it becomes difficult for the pup to understand the connection "I bit = I lost my pack". They have short attention spans at this age.) You can either put pup in a different space or move yourself to a different space where pup does not have access to you. This WILL take time - it is not a one-time-only training quick fix! You must practice this plan consistently, but eventually the pup will catch on and the method is highly effective.

I also find that having pups play with other puppies and dogs is the best way to educate them on inhibiting their bite. Dogs are the best dog trainers.

A simple, straightforward strategy:

Teeth on flesh = End of all fun

Take at least a 1 minute break before resuming play. Remember “end of all fun” means we have to consider what the dog experiences as fun! Normally end of all fun should mean person becomes instantly boring and slowly walks away, then ignores the dog for at least a minute.

If every time teeth touch flesh, all fun ends – the dog will make the connection: “if I want to continue playing I must keep my teeth off person’s flesh”.

If pup is biting at your clothes or feet as you walk away spray bitter apple right where he's biting (it will not hurt your skin or stain your clothing.)

Here is another thread on the topic:

Help With New Puppy Biting---Us!

Old 05-01-2013, 09:13 PM

4,128 posts, read 13,275,552 times
Good post above. THeir teeth hurt and they're just trying to relieve the pain. It's not acceptable but they're just being puppies. Would invest if Yuk or Bitter Apple to squirt on your shoes, shoelaces and things you don't want him to chew on - distract him and be patient and eventually he'll figure out inappropriate behavior. Giving him plenty of chew toys and bones (not rawhide) should help too. It will pass, best of luck.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,856 times
I just bought a 7 month old shih tzu. She is so aloof and run away when we get near her and would bark if we attempt to cuddle her. I fed her wt her favorite meal boiled chicken liver as the previous owner said but she didnt take it. How would we make her like us? And be sweet to us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or