U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 05:42 PM

287 posts, read 781,013 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've had my 2 year old Great Pryenees for 2 weeks now and would like to crate train him for longer car rides. I don't know if he's ever been crate trained in the past. On very short trips around the city he does fine in the back of my car (of course no one else can fit back there) but we'll be taking a day trip in an suv with the whole family so he'll need to go in the back. Any suggestions on how to go about it? Or maybe there's a better way to take him with me on road trips? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 06:11 PM

1,738 posts, read 7,511,408 times
you can start feeding him and playing a little in the crate and introduce it slowly!!!!!!!
have him spend ten minutes in it and then let him out and praise him and extend the time he's in the crate.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:51 PM

10,091 posts, read 36,875,655 times
The whole idea is to make it as pleasant as possible for him. Throw a treat in...let him enter on his own and give him another while in the crate. Love on him and give him a toy or something he likes while in the crate. Never force him to stay in...maybe leave the door open so he can come and go as he pleases. He needs to feel comfortable in the crate.
Man...your going to need one HUGE crate for him! How much does he weigh? I'd love to see a pic of him!

Old 10-14-2008, 06:52 AM

7,079 posts, read 34,528,902 times
Try this: Crate Training | The Humane Society of the United States (http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/our_pets_for_life_program/dog_behavior_tip_sheets/crate_training.html - broken link)

A very helpful link with the whole method.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:57 AM

1,587 posts, read 6,693,424 times
Ever think of getting a gate (pet barrier)for the cargo area so he can see you and have someone stick hand through and pet or give treats.Also can leash up through gate so not worry about runaway when open doors. Otherwise like me have large kennel in house and doggie pillow and just let them go in and out and then slowly lock them in with treat so not think punishment.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:07 AM

287 posts, read 781,013 times
He's a cuttie - but is underweight & not as fluffy but he's my big baby! He's been hard to adjust to having him as I haven't had a dog in 25 years...I should say its been hard for everyone else to adjust my DH isn't use to dogs at all & this guy is a barker. I'm the one who's walking him at 5 am and then at night, feeding & brushing him.I'll be getting the crate today or tomorrow from a friend. Thanks for your help!

Old 10-14-2008, 01:45 PM

19,823 posts, read 56,009,102 times
Most SUVs and station wagons, like my Outback, have dog gates/dividers that the dealer can install. It keeps the dogs from jumping over the seat. Then you loosely leash them to the barrier so they can stand and turn around but not run off when you open the back door.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:35 PM

3,398 posts, read 7,145,357 times
What about one of those doggie seat belts like they sell at Petsmart?

Old 10-16-2008, 04:15 PM

7,283 posts, read 17,247,883 times
My dog was about 2 when she was crate trained to be in the house. She had been an outside dog.
The folks here on CD gave me a lot of good advice on crates and training because I had always thought that crates were cruel but I got myself a crate and dog pillow. I would feed her in the crate. For 3 days, she kept her hind legs out. On the 4th day, I picked her hind legs up and put them in the crate and shut the door. I sat and talked to her. (She's a lab mix, so she's a large dog also.) She sat there looking at me as I talked to her for a few minutes and then I opened the door. I did this for a couple more days and then she got to the point where she would go in on her own and stay. She's almost 4 now and she gladly goes in her crate at night when it's time for bed.
She loves it.
We don't use it in the car. We tried one of the dog seatbelts or harnesses and she chewed it.
What we have now for long trips is a leash (a chain one, not a cloth one) and we hook it onto a hook in the car. Her collar is cloth and of course it doesn't choke or hurt and she cannot chew on the harness.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:16 PM

7,283 posts, read 17,247,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
What about one of those doggie seat belts like they sell at Petsmart?
My dog was a chewer at the time we used one and she chewed it up while I was driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or