Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 09:11 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,495,735 times

Advertisements

I counted five "if"s and three "should"s in one of the last posts.

Too many "if"s, "should"s, "hopefully"s, "believe"s, "might"s, "could"s, "maybe"s, or "probably"s for me.

Not sure if I'd be comfortable having my kids visit that house regardless of the mentioned precautions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 10:04 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,242,629 times
Exactly!!! With the hundreds of breeds and varieties of dogs out there, who needs to have such an "athletic," fiesty dog? What is the point? What are you trying to prove? Just a few weeks ago I was in a park where a pitbull owner was training his dog to be vicious, beating the dog with a piece of carpet until he would jump up and bite it. Those dogs make me sick. I look at it the same way as guns, to use that analogy. You have a constitutional right to defend yourself-- which can be accomplished by owning a basic handgun. Why should anybody need to have a machine gun just to express the 2nd ammendment? I haven't heard too many stories of elderly women, and infants being mauled to death by chihuahuas... but I've heard tons of stories year after year about deadly pitbull attacks. Let's keep Denver a safe, clean city. The majority of people raising pitbulls are low life trash, not those "cute" pictures you want us to believe.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:53 PM

117 posts, read 621,416 times
Pit Bulls definitely scare me. I was bit by one that was on a leash. Got one of those nice tetanus shots in the you know where.
The owner (a female nurse), had raised it from a pup. Even though she promised me the dog was okay and tied to a chain, it was still able to jump out and get me. She yelled for it to stop and let go, but not after she had to beat it in the head would it let go of my backside. Yeah, it got me in the buttocks.

My brother had one and it bit my son when he was around 9 years-old.
My son had been around it since it was a puppy and one day it just turned on my son and bit him.

The problem is such, that the the pounds will not take them here unless they can put them down.

The bad outweighs the good when it comes to the stories about Pit Bulls. It's to bad, but it is a fact.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:11 AM

2 posts, read 6,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Exactly!!! With the hundreds of breeds and varieties of dogs out there, who needs to have such an "athletic," fiesty dog? What is the point? What are you trying to prove? Just a few weeks ago I was in a park where a pitbull owner was training his dog to be vicious, beating the dog with a piece of carpet until he would jump up and bite it. Those dogs make me sick. I look at it the same way as guns, to use that analogy. You have a constitutional right to defend yourself-- which can be accomplished by owning a basic handgun. Why should anybody need to have a machine gun just to express the 2nd ammendment? I haven't heard too many stories of elderly women, and infants being mauled to death by chihuahuas... but I've heard tons of stories year after year about deadly pitbull attacks. Let's keep Denver a safe, clean city. The majority of people raising pitbulls are low life trash, not those "cute" pictures you want us to believe.
[mod cut] Where do you get off saying who needs what and for what reason? Why do we choose the Amstaff? Is there really one reason? I chose mine because it was a beautiful dog (since passed away). Athletic and fiesty were not variables that I even considered. They have great personalities. I bet there are a number of things in your personal life (let's say material objects for grins) that I could analyze and determine that you don't NEED. But for whatever reason, you have chosen to have something other than what you NEEDED! To follow your logic-- We have a constitutional right to own a car-- which can be accomplished by purchasing a beat up VW. Why should anybody need to own a new Mercedes? We have a constitutional right to own a home-- which can be accomplished by purchasing a small mobilehome. Why should anybody need to have a 5,000 square foot house? I could go on with more irrelevant analogies....but I will spare myself before you... Pit bulls make you sick? Really? Sick? Like they give you a cold? They make your stomach ill? C'mon. Really? The majority of people raising ANY dog to attack are low-life trash. I will give you that much. Banning the breed is as subjective as banning the low-life owner. Really...

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-10-2007 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: Removed overly harsh reaction.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:46 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,155,138 times
Quote:
First of all "pit bulls" are not fiesty! 2nd.. who do you think you are? People will get the breed of dog that they like and if you knew anything about the breeds you were talking about you would be saying something different all together! "pit bulls" are a WONDERFUL family breed and they are the PERFECT breed to deal with the rough and tumble play a child can dish out! They always test way above MOST popular family pets in temprament tests! Just like with any breed, they need to be properly trained and socalized! Most domestic abuse in the US is by men, does that make all men evil? NO! So why would you think all "pit bulls" are evil because of a few that were abused or trained to be mean?! To answer your question, people get "pit bulls" because they are easily one of the BEST breeds around! 3rd. You shouldnt believe everything you hear on tv! Its not good for you! There are alot of attacks that are never reported and there are 25+ breeds that are commonly mistaken as the 3 breeds that people call "pit bulls." It is readily acknowledged by anyone familiar with handling a variety of dogs and mix breeds (animal control officers, veterinarians, shelter workers, etc.) that accurate identification of a dog's breed or mix is virtually impossible without registration papers or a pedigree at hand. Considering how rarely an animal control officer (ACO) catches a dog wearing tags, how often do you think an ACO lassos a stray dog that happens to have its pedigree papers? Alot of the time the law (or whoever) will "helpfully" describe what a "pit bull" looks like. Needless to say, ALOT of dogs have a large head, wide chest and short fur! Funny thing, genetics. It causes dogs to come in all shapes and sizes and colors - especially the mixed breeds.... Why do we hear so many negative pit bull stories in the Media if they arent true? There are a few things that contribute to the negative stories on the news. As often the case, negative stories always seem to get National coverage, where the positive stories only make the local news. The Media is not always very responsible with their stories! I have seen news reports of a dog attack by another breed and, yet the media had a picture of a pit bull on the TV while reporting this story. I’ve read many stories where the reporter obviously hadn’t done any research, when I asked about their statistics they choose not to reply. If you would do a little research instead of believeing all of the crap you hear mabey you wouldnt sound so ignorant!

If you want FACTS instead of MYTHS check some of these web sites out!
http://www.badrap.org/rescue/myths.cfm (broken link), http://www.pitbulllovers.com/america...ier-myths.html, http://www.austinlostpets.com/kidsko...er/pitbull.htm, http://www.stopbsl.com/, http://www.understand-a-bull.com/, http://www.paw-rescue.org/petbulls.html

OH I dont remember if I answered your question of why people own "pit bulls" or not, so just in case I didnt... People own "pit bulls" because they are so smart, sweet, loyal, loving, gental, tolerant, obidiant, devoted and funny! There no other breed like them! They can be so human like at times and they seem to each have their own sense of humor! To put it simply, people own "pit bulls" because they are WONDERFUL family companions!.. and I am sure most "pit bull" owners dont really care what you think about them owning "pit bulls"...I know I dont! Its not my problem! I get to spend all the time I want with my WONDERFUL American Pit Bull Terriers, people like you are missing out on these great breeds!

Old 05-10-2007, 05:17 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,242,629 times
Well, I just hope you are right. You sound like you are a responsible owner, it's the other ones out there I'm not sure about, especially people that don't have adequate fences for their dogs. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Well, I just hope you are right. You sound like you are a responsible owner, it's the other ones out there I'm not sure about, especially people that don't have adequate fences for their dogs. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
I dont think that irresponsible owners hould be allowd to own any dog, period! Every dog needs to be properly trained and properly socalized. No dog should ever be left alone with adults that do not live in the home or any child! No dog should be outside unless it is on a leash on or inside a fence (an adequate fence).. In every breed there is always some acceptions to the normal temprament and behavior. American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers are not in any way bad breeds. They are just as good, if not better than many other breeds with families and children. They were never breed to be human agressive, infact the dogs that were human agressive were killed. Alot of "pit bulls" dont like other animals but that has nothing to do with them not likeing people. Human agression and animal agression are two completly different things. I am very sad to say that alot of "pit bulls" do fall into the wrong hands. Some people will get "pit bulls" just to use them as wepons and to scare people. These dogs have either been abused or trained to be mean. It is very, very sad that anyone would get any dog for that reason and it is very sad that anyone would put any living creature through what some of those poor dogs go through! People like that should not be allowd to own any animals atall and they should be punished! Horrible people like that give these wonderful breeds a bad name and it is good owners that have to suffer the consiquences of their actions, and I am sick of it!... I am sorry if this comes off as me being rude but what you said sounded rude to me... As far as you giving me "the benefit of the doubt," ummm.. thanks, but I dont need you to give me the benefit of the doubt, and I dont need you to aprove of or even like the breed that my husband and I choose to own... It hurts me when people talk the way they do about these breeds, because I (and ALOT of other people) know the truth about them and my dogs, along with the rest of the good "pit bulls," get judged unfairly. I wish people knew the truth about these breeds, but I guess it is true that people fear what they dont know. Its just not fair to all of the good "pit bulls" and to all of the good owners!

But if you didnt mean what you said to be rude.. than I am sorry for getting upset over it.. lol..I like to think that I am a responsible owner, I try.. lol and thank you for noticing!

Old 05-18-2007, 04:36 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,281,752 times
there are actually plenty of bigger breeds that are regarded as quite happy in a townhouse or apartment. pits, i don't know. but hey, if you like pits, why not? of course, despite what we might want to think about "oh, you can't generalize", pits, akitas, chows, border collies, cattle dogs, etc. are a bit specialized in terms of the generations of breeding for what they were respectively breed for, so, with any of those you will have a decade or two of a very likely personality (dogality?) to be a good "pet person" for. and all of those dogs i just listed do tend to be a bit more intense. but if you got the time and wherewithall, all good things, potentially.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:22 PM

5 posts, read 15,762 times
Quote:
Exactly!!! With the hundreds of breeds and varieties of dogs out there, who needs to have such an "athletic," fiesty dog? What is the point? What are you trying to prove?
I am not trying ot prove anything, but I enjoy having a dog that I can run around with and be athletic with. I enjoy having a strong dog that I won't break in half when we wrestle. Also, larger dogs tend to be calmer and kinder, which my Zoe is.

Quote:
Just a few weeks ago I was in a park where a pitbull owner was training his dog to be vicious, beating the dog with a piece of carpet until he would jump up and bite it. Those dogs make me sick.
You saw someone beating a dog, and out of the two of them it was THE DOG that made you sick?

Quote:
I haven't heard too many stories of elderly women, and infants being mauled to death by chihuahuas... but I've heard tons of stories year after year about deadly pitbull attacks. Let's keep Denver a safe, clean city. The majority of people raising pitbulls are low life trash, not those "cute" pictures you want us to believe.
Actually, there are plenty of times in which small breeds have injured and even killed children. Many of the stories of "pit bull" attack are not, in fact, pit bulls. Do some reading. They score about the same as golden retrievers on temperament tests. They are bred for canine aggression, not human aggression (just the opposite, actually.) Again, read up on things before thinking you know about them. The media is not the be all and end all for accuracy. If that were the case, then only famous people would be in rehab, since that's all we hear.

Those cute pics are from good owners, not the low life trash. How insulting you are to the wonderful pit bull owners who have posted here. You have to neglect and abuse a pit bull to make it mean, why not crack down on those acts and the people committing them rather than the animals?

I am all for strict requirements to won certain breeds, but there's no reason to get rid of a loving, intelligent dog... and all that are of similar "type" appearance-wise.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Just a few weeks ago I was in a park where a pitbull owner was training his dog to be vicious, beating the dog with a piece of carpet until he would jump up and bite it. Those dogs make me sick....The majority of people raising pitbulls are low life trash, not those "cute" pictures you want us to believe.
You are a sad, sick person and I really do feel sorry for you! What is wrong with you?!?! It is people like you that are allowing people to abuse, neglect and train their dogs to be mean! Who in the world would see a dog being beat and say the dog makes them sick?!?! And who in the world would not call the cops and animal services to try to save the poor dog?!?! Wow! What a wonderful person you are! Lmao! Oh, and to say that the majority of people raising "pit bulls" are trash makes you sound so ignorant! You obviously know nothing about "pit bulls" or the people who choose to own them so, here is some info for you... As for American Pit Bull Terriers (APBT), they are one of the BEST breeds to have around children! They are small-medium (normally about 17-19 inches tall and 30-60 pounds) breed dogs and make wonderful house dogs and family companions! They are one of the most stable people-friendly breeds in existence. The National Canine Temperament Testing Association tested 122 breeds, and APBTs placed the 4th highest with a 95% passing rate! They are wonderful with children! They are way more tolerant than most other popular family breeds such as Golden Retrievers and Beagles and are the PERFECT breed to deal with the rough and tumble play a child can dish out. They are even known as nanny dogs for their love and dependability with children! They are very people-friendly dogs, but they make very good watch/ gaurd dogs.They have an uncanny ability to know when someone or something is a threat or not! They are unique, smart, easy to train, sweet, loyal, loving, gentle, obedient, devoted, tolerant and funny! They are almost human like in their emotions and expresions! These days alot of people choose to believe all of the crazy myths they have heard about "pit bulls" over the facts! Like any breed of dog, a healthy "pit bull" that is properly raised will remain loving and friendly. In the past 20 years, we have seen some sad examples of poorly bred and badly treated dogs that are by products of irresponsible "backyard breeders" and cruel and abusive homes. These improperly raised, unsocialized creatures can show temperaments far removed from the traditional authentic "pit bulls." Do not confuse these unfortunate misbreds with the HUGE majority of well-loved "pit bulls" in this country that remain solid in temperament, affectionate, trustworthy and friendly to their dying day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs