U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 09:58 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,756,446 times

Advertisements

Winter is coming and that will mean less exercise for the dog...(or I better get ready to drag her around in deep snow again... )

Anyhow, I need some good 'chew' ideas. We have a kong and she likes that, I buy raw hide (we watch her with them) but the bones are getting hard to find or are expensive. She has no interest in marrow bones!!

What things do you give your dog to chew on (safe)/safe treats.
I bought her one of those chewable bones for big dogs in the plastic sleeve (can't recall the brand) thinking it would last a few days but the bloody dog chewed and ate it in less than 1/2 hour.

I am in need of some good ideas to alleviate boredom/give her to chew but not things that cost too much...

So help me (and others) with high energy dogs like my Pointer/Lab with ideas. Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 10:07 AM

10,091 posts, read 36,861,752 times
My two LOVE Nyla bones. They are initially more expensive...I pay $8-10 for the larger ones....but they last for years!!!!!!!!!!!!! Target sells them cheapest! They have very tiny ones to huge ones for the bigger guys.
Usually, they don't like to "start" them...so I dip them into their very own jar of peanut butter (labeled DOGS...so there are no mix-ups) and that does the trick...After the first dipping they love them. Don't have to worry about them choking on small pieces or anything of that nature. My guys always hated anything made out of rubber and would not too politely turn up their noses at those type of toys.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:06 AM

7,079 posts, read 34,520,304 times
I make Kongs for my dog, filled with nonfat, plain yogurt and frozen solid. He spends a LOT of time licking out the yogurt. To plug up the hole at the bottom, I put some of the yogurt in a sieve set over a bowl and refrigerated overnight to thicken it up. I have one for every day of the week, so that he gets one just before I leave for work. He looks forward to it every day!

Old 10-16-2008, 11:23 AM

4,714 posts, read 10,175,719 times
Besides chews how about some of the toys that mentally challenge a dog? There are alot of them out there and Jazz who does like to chew seems to like these toys even better and can entertain herself for long periods with them.

I just got the newer one which is a jug that has a plastic rope and plunger and you unscrew the bottom and put treats in and they have to figure how to get them out ( pulling the rope and moving the little plunger does it) Well Miss smartie pants saw me unscrew the bottom to get the treats in so she layed there for over and hour trying to unscrew the bottom ! Too Funny..

Her puzzle ball is another big favorite as she does know the inside ball does not fit through the holes in the outside ball so she puts toys that do fit inside and knocks it around to get them out. She has had that ball for many years and never gets tired of it.

I am a big believer that mental stimulation can tire them out just as physical can and my two are herding mixes.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Besides chews how about some of the toys that mentally challenge a dog? There are alot of them out there and Jazz who does like to chew seems to like these toys even better and can entertain herself for long periods with them.

I just got the newer one which is a jug that has a plastic rope and plunger and you unscrew the bottom and put treats in and they have to figure how to get them out ( pulling the rope and moving the little plunger does it) Well Miss smartie pants saw me unscrew the bottom to get the treats in so she layed there for over and hour trying to unscrew the bottom ! Too Funny..

Her puzzle ball is another big favorite as she does know the inside ball does not fit through the holes in the outside ball so she puts toys that do fit inside and knocks it around to get them out. She has had that ball for many years and never gets tired of it.

I am a big believer that mental stimulation can tire them out just as physical can and my two are herding mixes.
DashDog, where did you get the first toy you suggested? The jug that you insert treats? My daughter had one for her BoerBoel...but she ended up destroying it I'd like to get her another and one for my guys as well...I thought my daughter said she got hers at WalMart, but I could never find it

Old 10-16-2008, 11:42 AM

4,334 posts, read 12,222,322 times
All my dogs love these, they all chew them and they even share them....even my little 8 lb Chi loves them!

Only Petsmart carries these.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:01 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,239,770 times
This is a good question. My dog doesn't like any of those plastic things or raw hide or those rope toys -- none of it. It's been hard for me to find something, and he's a big dog (part Akita, part Lab).

The only things I've found that work are bones. I usually buy soup bones and cook them in the microwave, cool them and serve. Or if I have beef or pork spare ribs, I always save the bones and then freeze them to pull out at various times.

Fortunately, he doesn't chew on shoes or furniture or anything (the cats do that!). I just haven't found anything other than "real" bones that he'll chew on. I tried the pig ears, too. He seems to hate any rawhide products, especially the ones with the flavored coatings. He will use those chew sticks made of corn meal (?? -- can't remember what those are). But I hear they're not too good to give them on a daily basis (although he much prefers the bones -- or even better, Trader Joe's dog biscuits!).

I have a wood burning stove, and sometimes he'll grab a piece of wood (a twig or branch) and chew on that. I guess he likes "naturally organic!"

I think there may be something about the taste or texture of those rubbery/nylon/rawhide things he just doesn't like. There are times I've given him them, and he'll barely take it in his teeth and then he just stands there and drops it onto the floor! So, I've given away bags of that stuff!

At least I know that when I make spareribs, that everything is used!

Old 10-16-2008, 12:10 PM

16 posts, read 27,755 times
[quote=GypsySoul22;5716634]Winter is coming and that will mean less exercise for the dog...(or I better get ready to drag her around in deep snow again... )

Anyhow, I need some good 'chew' ideas. We have a kong and she likes that, I buy raw hide (we watch her with them) but the bones are getting hard to find or are expensive. She has no interest in marrow bones!!

I bought her one of those chewable bones for big dogs in the plastic sleeve (can't recall the brand) thinking it would last a few days but the bloody dog chewed and ate it in less than 1/2 hour.

I am in need of some good ideas to alleviate boredom/give her to chew but not things that cost too much...

I have two Staffordshire Bull Terriers and they demolish everything I have ever given them. I had the same problem you have, but I found a product called a Galileo. It is made out of the rubber they make car bumpers from and it is virtually indestructable. My dogs can't chew or bite bits off. My female dog Tallulah (brindle) is obsessed with toys, whereas Charlie (black) isn't really bothered.

There are different sizes. For my medium sized dogs, I bought the large one to be on the safe side. They are quite expensive, I think I paid 20-25 for mine, but it was well worth it and if they don't lose them you will never have to buy another one again. I doubt you will pay the same in the US as UK prices are usually inflated.

file:///Users/samanthadeenajeet/Documents/SP_A0419.jpg

Old 10-16-2008, 12:36 PM

[quote=WestLondoner;5718756]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Winter is coming and that will mean less exercise for the dog...(or I better get ready to drag her around in deep snow again... )

I am in need of some good ideas to alleviate boredom/give her to chew but not things that cost too much..

I have two Staffordshire Bull Terriers and they demolish everything I have ever given them. I had the same problem you have, but I found a product called a Galileo. It is made out of the rubber they make car bumpers from and it is virtually indestructable. My dogs can't chew or bite bits off. My female dog Tallulah (brindle) is obsessed with toys, whereas Charlie (black) isn't really bothered.

There are different sizes. For my medium sized dogs, I bought the large one to be on the safe side. They are quite expensive, I think I paid 20-25 for mine, but it was well worth it and if they don't lose them you will never have to buy another one again. I doubt you will pay the same in the US as UK prices are usually inflated.

file:///Users/samanthadeenajeet/Documents/SP_A0419.jpg

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the Gallieo is the "humongeous" version of the Nylabone! I remember seeing it in the stores.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:38 PM

Just checked ...it is!
Galileo Dog Bones by Nylabone - Wolf NG203NAT PetMarket.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or