Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 07:42 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times

Advertisements

Any animal behavorists out there? Here's my question: we have an 11 year old Rat Terrier/Whippet cross. He's very Whippet like and not so much the terrier. He's quiet, gentle, sensitive, but outgoing with people and loves meeting new ones.

He's never liked playing with other dogs at all--just ignores them, except for other sight hounds like Whippets, Greyhounds and such. Then he wants to run and romp with them.

There's a cute altered female Italian Greyhound and Rat Terrier cross that's up for adoption. She's a year old and supposed to be quiet and reserved, too. I haven't met her yet. In her on-line photo's she looks a lot like our guy. A bit smaller.

Do you think they would get along and she would become his little sister/playmate? He hasn't been jealous when I've pet-sat friend's dogs in our home--just ignores them.

What do you think? Have you adopted a new dog into the house with an elder dog--and how did it work?? He is, I might add, pretty spry, with no health issues. He could use more exercise, he's starting to get a bit portly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 08:44 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,246 times
I foster dogs for a rescue group and I bring strange dogs in and out of my home regularly, some of which stay with me for long periods. (I've had one for over a year because he bites) I have three dogs of my own. They like some foster dogs more than others. It all comes down to the compatibility of the dogs' personalities. If you can take your dog to meet the female,that's a good way to get an idea of whether or not the initial chemistry will work. Some transitional issues are normal, so you'll need to referee for a while. Generally, most dogs who are well socialized learn to accept another dog into the household. If things should go awry, find out if the dog can be returned.

Good for you for going the adoption route! Best wishes.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:30 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
It sounds like a great match .

In the last year, we added a high energy 2 year old into our house with another high energy 7 year old and a very mellow 10 year old. The 10 year old liked the young one, but at a distance. The 7 year old finally got the playmate she always wanted ! Today, they are 2 peas in a pod !

Be prepared for the usual issues while the dogs work our their dominance positions, but if they're a good energy match, that's a big plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs