U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 11:44 PM

947 posts, read 3,002,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterdog57 View Post
Go to Barnes & Noble and get this book. "The Nature of Animal Healing" by Martin Goldstein. It covers natural treatments for various ailments. A lot of good info in the book. It also has an all natural diet/raw listed.

This is The book that really got me started on natural foods for my pets.
I read the chapter... "It all starts with food" over and over. When you get this book I suggest starting there.

Great book!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
The way my dog HATES kibble (we started out with expensive ones from the Feed store but she hated both, to the 'cheaper' ones like Iams and Pediagree) and her dislike of canned I keep thinking I should just make homemade food.

Tonight I microwaved a few small chicken cutlets for training food, turned around and she grabbed one from the counter!! The only other time she did that was months ago when she stole a bagel from our son.

She loves REAL meat, real rice, and so on. Do you have any recipes for the homemade dog food and how much do you feed a dog on it?

I don't blame em. Who would want to eat Dry foods every day, so plain and boring.
Great to make your own food but should go by a recipe as there is much to plan to ensure proper nutrients.

RAW can be great for some dogs but not all. If your doggie has upset or discomfort after a few times/tries of raw eating then try cooked or even slightly cooked meats.

A book for great reference raw or not... "Dr Pitcarirn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats" Richard H Pitcairn DVM, PHD
and
"The Whole Pet Diet" Andi Brown

Old 11-02-2008, 12:36 AM

[quote=BetweenYouMeAndTheLampost;5905445] Most of the dogs I know of get kibble and are constantly begging or scrounging for food.

this IS so sad isn't it...
so very very disturbing

No cookies, donuts, you know, just give a good healthy diet like you eat. They will eat less because they are getting nutrition from their food. People scraps are good as long as the people are on a healthy diet.

Yeah, b4 the Pet Food Industry... Well, we ate better then too no fast food nation etc, so we Did feed Table Scraps!!!! OMG! Wow. And... get this our dogs were Healthy. They ate what we ate!!! Go figure! Then the invention of the Pet Food Industry arises, which BTW, there is absolutely No regulations on... so all kinds of "ingredients" added are not fit for Human consumption!!! And our animals are getting Sick, Obese, Dying etc etc etc.

I have a friend and it breaks my heart that her lab is getting fat from a cheap kibble diet so the vet said to feed him less. so he is getting poor nutrition to begin with and then is given less. He is constantly looking for food.

OMG. This is really sad. How can people feed less. That is Not finding a solution to the problem. That is like saying if you ate McD's all day everyday to eat less... of it!!! I hate vets sometimes... grrrr

And how people can eat meat in front of dogs and not give them any is beyond me! That's their natural diet. Think about it. What dog in a natural state would be eating kibble - that's like living on chips the rest of your life. And people wonder why their dogs get stones and cancer.

Yuck, eating chips/preztels my whole life...
They need meat!!! Yeah they are sitting there looking at that dry kibble... and what they really want is a peice of your meat!

Now don't even get me started on giving your dogs drugs from the vets who have a vested interest in their own livelihood.

Poor doggies...

I must say great great post!!! I agree so much!!

I have been grooming this same dog for about 4 years. She came in today for me. Every time is a bit worse then the time before. 12years, can't stand well. back legs out, I guess it mainly her hips, she's a lab mix. Anyway I cried a bit when grooming her. Sad for this doggie that is constanlty getting poor quality food. Almost everytime I suggest a holistic natural food that we carry. I even took time to give them a catolog on a natural food place that I order via internet and wrote some suggestions down too. They sounded interested. Well, I asked again today what has she been eating... Ugh! He said the same as he had said before... Purina Dog Chow and mixing in Alpo canned. I said to Please give a different food a try. She could benefit from it greatly. This so sad that they spend the money to shave down a dog that doesn't need it but give her crap to eat. I must be carefull the way I suggest such a thing. But he still didn't seem to want to at least try a change of food... Ugh.

So sad for Nikki she is so sweet.
It makes me cry now. and for all the other doggies out there too feeling unhealthy and depressed too but still trying to wag that tail of theirs. Come to think of it she didn't wag her tail much today...

Old 11-02-2008, 08:17 AM

7,435 posts, read 12,959,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdaver View Post
My dog eats hill's prescription science diet canine c/d. It's usually $50+. Today I went to buy more and it's now $75!! I don't know how long I can afford that! I read a thread about this back in August 08'. My dog has had very large stones removed but I don't know what type of crystals they found in it. Does anyone know of a book or a way to make food for my dog that would not increase her ph levels? I just don't know if I can continue to afford this food, these prices are out of control! I've looked at many websites, but the prices are the same. One website had it for $53 but shipping was over $20, so it came out to be the same as the vets office. Any help/advice is much appreciated!
My brother has a dalmation he adopted. This hyper little critter had problems with gall stones. After 2 operations to clear these up, the vet said to make the dog a vegan. Her meals now are nothing but cans of carrots, green beans, and mixed vegetables. They have no trouble getting her to eat, thank goodness! A neighbor wondered if "Annie" could come to their house around supper time and show the kids how to eat vegetables! lol

Old 11-02-2008, 09:42 AM

4,133 posts, read 13,321,847 times
I think dal's are predisposed to gall stones (although I c/b wrong). I'd prob. have switched her to the veggies too but I cant help but wonder if she's getting enough protein - ? Anyway glad she likes it and is doing well

Old 11-02-2008, 06:40 PM

Don't know about an all no meat diet for dogs. Seems like they would be missing the protein...

Does she get some kind of supps?

BTW, Sorry the my previous posts... I let my emotions get in the way of my brain functions!

Old 11-03-2008, 08:07 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,771,112 times
I've decided to give up canned foods for Luna. She hates kibble but I went out and got some 'premium kibble' from the rip off pet store (why living in the sticks sucks sometimes part 3--no 'chains, no competition, big $$).

I have been researching this subject, got a great info here from some of you (thanks!) and I cook real meat (variety) and vegs and starches and add them to her good kibble 2 times a day.

Yesterday after a supermarket run I gave her a can of sardines (in water). Never bought them for myself (we all hate fish) but she loved every bite!! Is this spoiling? I don't see how...?

This morning I didn't have much ready and didn't want to give her a ton of liver I just fried up so I gave her a little with the pan juices/watered down to coat the kibble and some frozen vegetables and she happily ate.

She's not getting 'donuts' or 'chip'--why would anyone feed that to a dog? Real food is what I am giving her, not canned smelly food. (waste of money when they don't eat it).

I am still trying to make sure she gets enough. I also don't have a job now so I have the extra time to cook things/additions. I may have to change my tactics once I get a job again.

Eventually I hope to have this down pat.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:20 AM

Thats Great Gypsy!

Some people don't care as much as you do.

BUt sure she loves your home cookin!
Have you tried that book: "Dr Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health For Dogs and Cats"
It does give you lots of recipes! And what is also important is supplements that they need to get. Needs to be added to the food like Lecithin, nutritional yeast etc. It gives you more info than i could here. It's a Great resource!

Sardines are really good protein source! Pork and anything pig is Not good. Makes me wonder why there are so many treats out there with Pig related ingredients, ie. bacon... etc. Dogs adn cats should not have, can't digest and other problems too.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:38 PM

6,764 posts, read 19,771,112 times
The only problem is my dog seems hungry all the time. I just fed her a big meal and she's still whining and crying next to me!

Old 11-03-2008, 05:04 PM

oooh, I would get that book I suggested or another natural health book that may have recipes. If you are feeding all home cooked foods it is Really important to do All the research so that they are getting all the needed nutrients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or