U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 07:53 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,517,317 times

Advertisements

The dog company will send you out a rebate for money if you email them. I did that with a special
dog food with kidney failure for a dog. It was only 5.00 about 7 of them, however, it did help. The dog here love Iams, but, so far I can afford that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 10:36 PM

124 posts, read 269,790 times
Sorry, haven't read most of the thread, but I think it's ridiculous the price of dog food. I work at a pet store and I frequently deal with complaints and such of Science Diet going up. And when it's gone up almost 10 dollars for the big bags, it's understandable but certainly annoying. I mean, it's pretty much the #1 selling food we have, why do they feel the need to bump up the prices so much? I'm kinda glad I've stuck with Nutro, their prices have stayed the same.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:13 AM

25,463 posts, read 12,221,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
my last dog I had for 16 years and she wouldn't touch dog food-ever! Man she was one healthy pooch. After she passed away I got a malti-poo and she's been on dog food since she was old enough. She's 3 years old now and has been The sickest,most allergy prone dog I've ever seen.
I'm taking her off dog food for good. People food only from here on out. I'll be careful what kind-but no more dog food!
Hello....I do what you mean. Our last dog, Schneider, was almost 17 when she passed away. We live in the country and she was a mutt, part lab, part German Shorthaired pointer and who knows what else. She lived her whole life outdoors., ate canned food, people food and I'm sure she found things in the woods surrounding us that I don't want to know about.

She always had her shots on time, never had a sick day in her life except for the time she was bit by a snake on her head. Recovered completely and was a happy playful, and loving friend as I said for almost 17 years. I still miss her.

We now have an adopted small Lab mix, 10 mos. old about 30 lbs. After reading as many of the threads and posts that I can about feeding our pets, I am getting somewhat overwhelmed concerning all of the conflicting information.

Feed raw, feed canned, feed kibble, mix it all, feed people food, no corn, corn okay, cheap food vs. expensive food. So, I see that I will have to do more research. A lot more. I want my new family member to be happy and be healthy. She has had enough stress in her short life already.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:44 AM

3,627 posts, read 12,815,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppylove42 View Post
An interesting article outlining the issues and concerns we face with dog food in general (not only bought over the counter) can be found at the link below

poochandme.com - K9 Magazine - Expensive Pet Food Brands No Better Than Cheap Pet Food? (http://www.poochandme.com/blog/K9-Magazine-Expensive-Pet-Food-Brands-No-Better-Than-Cheap-Pet-Food-.html - broken link)

In particular it comments on the article in K9 magazine which shows that cheap pet food is not better than more expensive brands.

Good read ...
I read the article in K9 magazine and it did not exactly say that - it said you had to look at the nutrient profile - that often with expensive foods you are paying for the packaging. That can be said for a lot of things we buy!!

I do feed EVO and the price has only gone up $2 on a 28lb bag. I have fed raw and, while I believe it is a good diet, did not find it to cost less than the kibble even when shopping sales and going to the processing plant directly.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:59 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,896,767 times
Just read the ingredients of Pet Science vs Taste of the Wild or EVO or even Chicken Soup and you can tell the difference. The first 4 ingredients
Pet Science. Lamb Meal, Brewers Rice, Rice Flour, Ground Whole Grain Wheat, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Corn Gluten Meal, Cracked Pearled Barley,

Taste of the Wild
Bison, venison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas

Old 02-13-2009, 08:06 PM

947 posts, read 2,999,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
my last dog I had for 16 years and she wouldn't touch dog food-ever! Man she was one healthy pooch. After she passed away I got a malti-poo and she's been on dog food since she was old enough. She's 3 years old now and has been The sickest,most allergy prone dog I've ever seen.
I'm taking her off dog food for good. People food only from here on out. I'll be careful what kind-but no more dog food!

Way to go!!! good for you and more than that... Great for your doggie!!! Good for you1!!

Here is a good book with lots of recipes! :

Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health For Dogs and Cats by Richard Pitcairn, DVM, PHD

Old 02-13-2009, 09:18 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,890,268 times
I just put a dog that was 17 years old and he ate dog food evr since he was born. i have another that is ten years and great health. I really thnik as a discovery channel show staed that alot of people need much more knowledge to make their own dogs food. It also isn't cheap for best health. It also stated that the quality often is indicated by the price and many store brqands are the same as more expensive brands.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:17 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,221,274 times
I feed 6 dogs now. They get a mix of Nutro and Wellness Core. I spend about 80 bucks every 3 weeks! It is a little $$$$ but I always make sure my dogs eat good food! Plus they get some boiled chicken as a treat mixed in once a week.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:18 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,896,767 times
I have 8 dogs and spend around $120 a month on good quality dog food. I mix Chicken soup with TOTW. I have 1 Xlarge, 3 large, 2 med, 1 sm and 1 extra small.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:55 AM

1,177 posts, read 8,080,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakuda View Post
Sorry, haven't read most of the thread, but I think it's ridiculous the price of dog food. I work at a pet store and I frequently deal with complaints and such of Science Diet going up. And when it's gone up almost 10 dollars for the big bags, it's understandable but certainly annoying. I mean, it's pretty much the #1 selling food we have, why do they feel the need to bump up the prices so much? I'm kinda glad I've stuck with Nutro, their prices have stayed the same.
Must be your area. Nutro has gone up at least $10 a bag here, that was last I saw. That was the 40lbs. The smaller bags have also gone up quite a bit. SD probably has too but I've never gone in that isle to really know, there is an entire isle thats just SD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I have 8 dogs and spend around $120 a month on good quality dog food. I mix Chicken soup with TOTW. I have 1 Xlarge, 3 large, 2 med, 1 sm and 1 extra small.
Lucky you. You do well, way to go. Myself for kibble $200+ a month, that'd be for 8 medium sized dogs but still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or