U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 05:21 PM

409 posts, read 2,542,945 times

Advertisements

You guys are better than going to a therapist!!! Anyway, thanks for all the advise. I read everything to learn. I went to the vet, he said a physical exam showed her to be very healthy. He is concerned about the vaccines she listed, as they are not proven. He called the vet hospital she gave and they said they spayed but did no vaccines. Now we don't know if she ever even had rabies. I will get ahold of her tomorrow. She did not growl at all at the vet, but was a bit skiddish. I walked her and a man we ran into got down and she was timmid, growled a little, but finally came over to him. Lar and I sat on the couch but she didnt jump up. I can see she wants to, but won't yet. I layed on the bed when he was in there and she came so far as to jump up to look, but not come up. I think hopefully this will change. She threw up all over me this a.m. on my lap and i figured it was because he was home. She got her first bath and blow dry and was pretty good. Now she is head over the edge, sound asleep. The vet also said for him to make this his house and not worry weather she feels that way or not. To feed her, give her treats, and not to put her in the cage because he's home. Make her like it your way and get used to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 07:02 PM

1,479 posts, read 7,020,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosa View Post
You guys are better than going to a therapist!!! Anyway, thanks for all the advise. I read everything to learn. I went to the vet, he said a physical exam showed her to be very healthy. He is concerned about the vaccines she listed, as they are not proven. He called the vet hospital she gave and they said they spayed but did no vaccines. Now we don't know if she ever even had rabies. I will get ahold of her tomorrow. She did not growl at all at the vet, but was a bit skiddish. I walked her and a man we ran into got down and she was timmid, growled a little, but finally came over to him. Lar and I sat on the couch but she didnt jump up. I can see she wants to, but won't yet. I layed on the bed when he was in there and she came so far as to jump up to look, but not come up. I think hopefully this will change. She threw up all over me this a.m. on my lap and i figured it was because he was home. She got her first bath and blow dry and was pretty good. Now she is head over the edge, sound asleep. The vet also said for him to make this his house and not worry weather she feels that way or not. To feed her, give her treats, and not to put her in the cage because he's home. Make her like it your way and get used to us.
Over vaccination has been deemed dangerous by the American Veterinary Association. Since it is unclear as to whether your dog has been vaccinated for rabies (or any other diseases) ask your vet to do a rabies vaccine titer and only vaccinate if the result indicates no immunity. Checking titers is much safer than administering vaccines that may not be needed....

Old 10-23-2008, 07:50 PM

5,640 posts, read 17,290,233 times
Try crate training when you are not home. It makes them feel safe - like they have their own little den. Our rescue dog had big time anxiety when I left her alone, she tried to "dig" her way out of our front door one day. Giant claw marks in the wooden door. We crated her after that and things were fine. After about a year, we left the crate up, but did not lock it during the day. That was her den with her blankie.

If you have continued problems with separation anxiety, you can try an over the county tranquilizer - I forget the name though. They sell it at the big box pet shops and many rescue shelters use it.

Maybe you can get your husband to feed her exclusively for a while - not you - then she will associate him with getting the food or treats.

She was likely take away from her mom too soon, cause those mill people want to get their $$ as fast as they can you know.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:53 PM

5,640 posts, read 17,290,233 times
Oh yeah and how often does she go outside. If you are home, put her out ever hour to an hour and a half. We had to do this with our rescue because she was 8 and barely housetrained. Eventually she learned. When they are not housebroken, you CANNOT put them out often enough. Do not let them in til they do something - even if it is a little token "weewee" squat. You may have problems in the colder weather though.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:54 PM

6,764 posts, read 19,729,544 times
Another thing I saw from that dog program is to have a person hand pour the food into your dog's dish. If she will tolerate him near her, have him take a handful of food and slowly pour it in her dish a bit at time.

She will realize he gives out the good stuff! (hopefully grow to love him).

Remember, it's still early days yet. Slow and steady.
What sort of dog is she? I don't remember you saying. Can you post a pic. I would love to see her. This story is gripping.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:56 PM

She is an 11 mos old shih tzu, black and white, with a face you would drool over. My neighbors are all talking about her. It must have killed this woman to lose a good breed dog. She is beautiful. Each day is a touch better. She is always good with me, but each day she comes closer to him. She comes in the same room now but still won't take food from him. She wagged her tail at my male neighbor so that made me feel better, it's not a bad male thing. Maybe in the house she thinks she is protecting me but doesnt snap or bite at all, just does this low throat growly thing and runs away but comes back. She is as we speak, hanging her head off the sofa, all fours in the air, snoring. Really funny kid. Got ahold of my denture the other nite, i didnt know whether to get mad or laugh!!!

Old 10-26-2008, 10:08 PM

3,061 posts, read 7,446,502 times
I don't want to step on any toes, but why are you defending this breeder? Its obvious from what you've said that she is operating a puppy mill. The dogs may have had food and water but it doesn't sound like much of anything else.
I doubt it "killed" this woman to lose a good breed dog, more likely it killed her to lose the $$$. Any dog breeders I know do not keep their dogs (of any age) in a barn, nor are they kept outside.
I say call the authorities and ask them to check her out.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:46 PM

turned her in to aspca. just hope she doesnt hurt the dogs.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:19 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,176,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosa View Post
turned her in to aspca. just hope she doesnt hurt the dogs.
Good for you, you did the right thing . They are the professionals, they will determine what she is doing and they'll know the appropriate actions to take from there.

The dogs are her money, so I doubt she'd hurt them. It's better you reported it instead of being fearful over what she might do. The dogs have a chance now.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:50 PM

684 posts, read 1,901,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I'm afraid this little dog reminds me of an abused person, from your description.
I would try to read up as much as you can about 'rescue dogs' from bad situations to get help.

Some dogs just have resigned themselves to bad situations.

I think time will be your friend. Please hang in there.

I have read the posts, and I agree....give this girl some space to come to terms with her past....and eventually she will let go (clearly she wants to)

Give her lots of luvies and snuggles...she has apparently been through what we could not imagine...but she craves love and you..

I read and hear of traumatized dogs frequently.....breaks my heart..

my fuzzy kids are DH's and my pride and joy....we spoil the stuff out of them!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or