Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 03:22 PM

409 posts, read 2,780,450 times

Advertisements

I bought her over the weekend from a very nice lady, but when I picked her up about 40 dogs were in a 1/2 barn situation. Mine was in her nursery and the sweetest cutest dog you ever saw. But when i got her home, everything changed. She is nervous, wants to go out constantly and does nothing, (does it inside) and is mortified of my husband. He has been so nice to her and so quiet and yet she runs away and cries. Won't even come near me when he's home until he goes to bed and then she's all over me. I called the woman and she said it's normal at first because she's going from an outside dog to inside. God, I feel bad for those dogs and now really can't give her back to that environment. Any experience with this socializing stuff? Will she pull out of this. She is very hyper, gets past gates. Ihave such a headache over this, my last one just died in April at 11 of cancer and she was no problem and no mill dog. If you saw her you would fall in love and she's very sweet but confused. Goes up and down the stairs 40 times a day when the gate's not up. I feel so bad for her but need to know this will pass so my life isnt wrecked. I leave the house for a few hours of work every day and she isnt making it easy. We barracade her in the kitchen and she gets out somehow. Please help me with this and let me know if I have made a terrible mistake or if it will pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 03:34 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,894,771 times
Hobby breeders, who breed to improve the breed and show their dogs, don't have 40 dogs and certainly don't have them in anything that resembles a barn.

This does sound like a mill puppy. She will be fine, but you're going to have to be EXTRA, EXTRA patient with this little one. She's terrified, for one thing and you only just got her home. Leave her alone. Let her come to you. This is going to be an ongoing process that will take a lot of time. But remember, whenever you think you're going to lose it, all she wants to do is please you, but she doesn't know what it is you want.

Best of luck. Thank you for taking on this little mite.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:48 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,343,525 times
I agree....me thinks you have found a mill for these little guys. You don't say how old she is...but again, agreeing that patience will be the key. Move slowly...getting down on the floor on her level...and let her make her way to you. Soft cooing and soothing words...no swift movements towards her.
While your away...maybe invest in a crate for her...I'm betting she will feel secure in a crate...since she has most likely been caged all her life and NOT raised underfoot. I think with time, love and patience she will probably be fine.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:57 PM

I am going to Petsmart tomorrow and see what they say. She is 11 mos old, very sweet, right now laying next to me on the couch asleep with her head on my arm. Put her down on all 4's and she's confused and cries if my husband is here, she is afraid of him and he feels really bad.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:03 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,343,525 times
We had a rescue Irish Setter one time...that was terrified of my husband. She had been burnt with cigarettes on her stomach...and I'm sure it had to be a guy who did this to her.
It took a while...but he would get on her level...on the ground and just talk to her. Even while she is lying in your arms right now...have your husband speak softly to her...maybe offer her a treat and praise her. All with low, soothing voices...Slow movements towards her...when he wants to pet...go with a closed hand, slowly and let her sniff....She will soon recognize he means no harm.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:10 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,894,771 times
Again, you're going to need to proceed very slowly with this fragile girl. She WILL get better, but go slowly for now. If she comes to you, have a nice treat, like some chicken or cheese or steak ( a TINY bit is fine) ready for her. She just needs patience. Remember, she's completely uprooted and probably very scared right now!

Giver her a cushy bed, some food and water and try to ignore her. She's been through a lot in a short time!

Old 10-19-2008, 05:33 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,704,038 times
I had a dog that had been abused by the former owner's boufriend. For the 10-12 yrs I had her, she didn't like most men and would growl at them. Of course, I was not married and she did like my male friends that visited frequently. It did get better over time. I agree with the crate suggesiton, leave it where you spend a lot of time,m with some old sweats or towels, and let her go in/out as she pleases. My dogs love their crate and frequently sleep in there at night, on their own.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:41 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,299,163 times
Viralmd has given some good advice so has Shelbygirl. I think you ought to consider a crate.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:22 PM

She is a sweet dog, beautiful, and cuddly with me. Why she is like that with my husband is beyond me. she doesnt snap but she is definitely afraid of him. Won't come in the same room and he feels bad. She would never take food from him right now. Me she is fine with. follows me everywhere I go, sleeps with me like a log right nex t to me, is sleeping next to me on the couch now. Trouble is, she is upset over being alone, if I leave the room she has to come too. Does that get better? How does crate training work, she is 11 mos old and never seems to potty when I take her out except early a.m.
I go to work 3 1/2 hrs a day, the crate is just for that time?? We've been trying to block off the kitchen and when I got home she greeted me at the door. she had gotten out. Can't stand to be left, but doesnt touch anything, chew anything, or bark at all. She actually seems like a very sweet dog that is just confused to death. Probably never been in a house or a bed. I have been taking her on a harness leash and she is ok now, at first wouldnt move. Everything is new and I want so much for us to be a family and happy. I lost my last shih tzu in April to cancer and really needed this but she was much easier than this.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:02 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,514,768 times
Mimosa,
Sure sonds like a puppuy mill. All 1 breed or many breeds? Did you see stud and mom? How many studs and females were there do you have a idea? If suspect a puppy mill call authorities get em shut down ASAP.

Now like others said takes time. Have hubby take her out potty in morning with you. Have him give food and water. Get down on floor and let her come to him and no quick movements let her make first step. Also have hubby bring her home new toys and wrap them up in one of his shirts with only his scent on it and leave for a bit then let dog have toy. His scent be on it and she realize his scent also means fun and may get better with him faster.
Kennel not a punishment will make her feel better as her own space to get away from everything. While gone leave a radio or TV on when kenneled so has human voices so not think alone.
Why was she in a nursery at 11 months? This dog has had no socialization and lady was all she seen and that is why she attached to you and afraid of husband.Get her to puppy classes for socialization soon.

Does she like car rides? If so let hubby take her for rides just him and the pup.
Just wait when we did Katrina foster had 1 dog so scared we had to lead out to go potty and he would not go until then and had to lead back in. I was the one who seen him most and treated him with meds. Took a bit and figured as shy as he was take 3 weeks minimum to get him to come out of shell. I went to our room where he made his den under shelves and just laid beside him 3 feet away and softly talked but not try to touch. Took 1 week he come out take meds and nuzzle up to me to get loving. I tried leaving him downstairs with the family and other dogs he always ran upstairs and still lead to go potty. Took 2 weeks to the day and all of a sudden all 5 kids home and the other dogs he walked down to me put head on my lap. Surprised as was pet him and asked if had to go potty? He ran to door we went out he followed back in followed me to couch laid on pillow next to me. Next day he did same in morning walked down went potty and was weekend kids all home yet and he went to everybody and wanted loving and started playing with the other dogs.
So be patient each dog comes out of shell in own time. Show love and caring and no loud voices and soon she be with both of ya and settled right in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs