Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 11:16 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,551,616 times

Advertisements

I need some advice or ideas...

My 7 month old puppy hates to have his nails trimmed. I can do one or two if I get him in a dead sleep. I took him to the groomer who tells me he will not let her do them either and now refuses to try. I just called the vet and he quoted me between 175.00 and 203.00 which I think is just outlandish...and it is out of the question because we just can not afford that for a nail trim...

Does anyone have any tips, tricks, advice or ideas that we can do this at home? I am desperate!

We do walks on pavement which helps somewhat...but his dew claws are getting long too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 11:21 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
I would suggest getting a cordless, rechargeable (not battery operated!) Dremel tool. Look at this website: How to Dremel Dog Nails @ DoberDawn.com (http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/doberdawn/dremel/dremel.html - broken link)

and go SLOWLY. Use the SANDING disc and go even more slowly than suggested in the website. You can't have too many treats, either, just for this purpose - and they have to be STELLAR treats, because dogs do rank their treats and to get them to experiment with a new, unknown and potentially scary behavior, the crud from the store won't do: chicken breast, cheese or steak (TINY pieces are fine).

Remember, you don't have to do all the nails all in one day. One a day is fine. But first get your pup used to the Dremel!

Old 10-24-2008, 11:46 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,927,454 times
Treats, belly rubs, treats, belly rubs...repeat as necessary. Our dog didn't like it either, but after taking my time and being patient, she's getting to where she enjoys it. What worked for me was sitting on the floor with her (she's a Lab), let her check out the clippers, give a treat, speak calmly to her while I hold her paw, give a treat, clip a nail while she's chewing, rub her belly, etc. Our family room becomes Shelby's Spa when it's pedicure time-LOL. Good luck.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:11 PM

138 posts, read 618,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
Treats, belly rubs, treats, belly rubs...repeat as necessary. Our dog didn't like it either, but after taking my time and being patient, she's getting to where she enjoys it. What worked for me was sitting on the floor with her (she's a Lab), let her check out the clippers, give a treat, speak calmly to her while I hold her paw, give a treat, clip a nail while she's chewing, rub her belly, etc. Our family room becomes Shelby's Spa when it's pedicure time-LOL. Good luck.
This is great advice. The dremmel is too but if that doesn't work, making the most happiest voice and giving tons of praise when your dog lets you trim their nails, even if it's just one, it will help make the process smoother. It will take time but the positive reinforcement will help. Another thing you may want to try is to get a big treat that you can hold up to your dog and don't let him/her take it from you but let him/her lick and take little bites from the treat. This will cause her to focus more on the treat and less on who ever is trimming his/her nails. My pug hates getting her nails trimmed but when she's done, we start clapping and singing "yeahhhh" to her in our most happiest voice and then give her some treats. She still doesn't like getting her nails trimmed but she tolerates it.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:04 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,776,111 times
Are you serious about the price for the vet to clip them? My daughter says that it "wack". Anyway, my vet charges $7.00. It only takes a minute or two. How could it be one to two hundred dollars. Craziness.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:02 PM

178 posts, read 574,528 times
I'm assuming the vet cost includes anesthesia? I'll echo everyone who suggests the Dremel (or the similar though more expensive Peticure). Just take it REAL slow... start just by showing him the tool with lots of treats, then turning it on with more treats, then touching it to a nail while turned off with lots of treats, etc. Spread it out over several days or week(s), however long it takes for him to be comfy with each step. I've also heard of putting peanut butter in a dish...dog is so distracted by trying to get all of peanut butter that he may not notice... Good luck!

Old 10-24-2008, 04:43 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
$175 to $203?????? It has got to include putting him under. Our vet charges $2 per paw.
We also use the Dremel tool....you'll find lots of other uses for it around the house as well!

Old 10-24-2008, 05:10 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
If it's a puppy, I'd keep working with him to get him used to having his nails trimmed. Use treats, toys, try different positions.

Also, make sure you get that dog out on some long walks. If he is walking a lot, he won't need nails trimmed, especially if walking on concrete. I only needed to trim my dogs nails when she got old and couldn't handle long walks anymore.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:25 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,733,760 times
First, get the dog comfortable in the position that you will be doing the nail clipping. Reassurance, by petting, treats and a soft voice. Then gradually introduce the nail clipper, Dremel or Peticure item without using it. Then gradually desensitize through turning it on and not using the item. This may take a week or two.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:38 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,421,974 times
I agree w/ the poster who said to desensitize him, get him used to his feet being handled (only) when he's relaxed, do that for a few days and then you can clip 1 or 2 nails (or dremel) - there's no rule that says all have to be done at the same time - another day you can do a couple more etc - he's young and there's no reason he cant get used to it, it just takes time and patience. If he's not yet been neutered, they can usually clip them then but it's something he'll have to get used to. You can also give him Rescue Remedy (get it at the health food store), give him a couple drops of that, it just takes the edge off. Unfort. groomers don't have a lot of time to deal w/ dogs who give them a hard time and mine told me of one whose nails he used to clip, said it took 2 people to hold him down while he clipped (the dog was about 15 lbs) so he told them he can't continue unless they get him more used to it. Just to encourage you, mine hated it too but have gotten really really good, the groomer (experienced w/ his own shop) even dremels them a bit too and they're fine w/ it, one is a bit squirmy but I hold her while he clips and we're in and out, thankfully (it wasnt always that way though, we used to bribe w/ treats but after a while it seemed like we were rewarding for bad behavior so we stopped that, now they just got a very small treat when it's all done). It does take time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs