Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 09:08 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,008,876 times

Advertisements

Today I was departing one of my favorite thrift stores when I spot a puppy running through the parking lot on a broken leash.

The dog was a pit-something and looked to be about 6 or 7 months old. Old enough to be pretty big, but not old enough to have much sense yet. He was very friendly, in a shy kind of way. I grabbed the collar.

Luckily I live in a small town and most everybody knows everybody else. While I was standing there hunched over the pup, a lady came by and told me that I should go to "that house over there [pointing]" that she knew they had a puppy there that looked a lot like the escaped dog.

So off to the house we went. Me and a slightly hyper, spazzed out pit-something puppy. We knocked on the door.

Big stupid dumb kid answers. "HUH?" I say.... "Is this your dog?" big stupid dumb kid mumbles.... "Wait a sec"

Next thing I know, dad appears at the door. Slightly crumpled, definitely unshaven - is that *something* I smell on his breath????? Anyway. I ask him.. "Is this your dog". Without saying a word, the man calls the dog, Jake, into the house and slams the door in my face.

Nice people.

I guess I should have just let the dog run away and get squished on the highway.

Doesn't ANYONE have any manners any more? No thanks, nothing. Nada. Zip. Zero.

sheesh.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 09:19 PM

5,322 posts, read 18,202,866 times
If I were you and saw the dog running around again, I'd take it in to the pound.... might have a greater chance of survival there.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:22 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,354,129 times
Sounds to me like the man let the dog out to get rid of it tbh. "It ran away" bs. You probably foiled his first attempt. You did what you thought was best though, at least somebody does.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:27 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,634,445 times
Take the dog, and call the breed rescue, so sad for a puppy.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:32 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,634,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Today I was departing one of my favorite thrift stores when I spot a puppy running through the parking lot on a broken leash.

The dog was a pit-something and looked to be about 6 or 7 months old. Old enough to be pretty big, but not old enough to have much sense yet. He was very friendly, in a shy kind of way. I grabbed the collar.

Luckily I live in a small town and most everybody knows everybody else. While I was standing there hunched over the pup, a lady came by and told me that I should go to "that house over there [pointing]" that she knew they had a puppy there that looked a lot like the escaped dog.

So off to the house we went. Me and a slightly hyper, spazzed out pit-something puppy. We knocked on the door.

Big stupid dumb kid answers. "HUH?" I say.... "Is this your dog?" big stupid dumb kid mumbles.... "Wait a sec"

Next thing I know, dad appears at the door. Slightly crumpled, definitely unshaven - is that *something* I smell on his breath????? Anyway. I ask him.. "Is this your dog". Without saying a word, the man calls the dog, Jake, into the house and slams the door in my face.

Nice people.

I guess I should have just let the dog run away and get squished on the highway.

Doesn't ANYONE have any manners any more? No thanks, nothing. Nada. Zip. Zero.

sheesh.

20yrsinBranson
Why, the dog is not at fault! Why would a person allow a puppy to get killed by a car?

Old 10-20-2008, 09:40 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,623,584 times
This is why I have no use for most people! I would have never taken that pup to that house....can you snag it back? UGH! Another poor pup is doomed!

Old 10-20-2008, 09:50 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,008,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
This is why I have no use for most people! I would have never taken that pup to that house....can you snag it back? UGH! Another poor pup is doomed!
No, I think the dog is going to be ok. There were two other dogs inside a poodle-something and a "something-something" and they looked well cared for. Even the pit-something was in good physical shape and did not seem to be abused (no itchy hot-spots or sores, well fed, etc.).

I think that the people are just terminally stupid who live there. Maybe I woke the guy up after a long, hard night at the coal mines or something. Maybe I am expecting too much.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-20-2008, 09:52 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,006,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
If I were you and saw the dog running around again, I'd take it in to the pound.... might have a greater chance of survival there.
The heck with the pound. If I saw it running around again it would come home with me 'till I found it a better owner.

People make me so mad....

Old 10-20-2008, 10:17 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,175,682 times
The pup probably has too much sense, and wants to get FAR AWAY from the trash he's living with!

Old 10-21-2008, 12:28 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,346,749 times
20yrs, people only annoy you sometimes? They annoy me daily !

A few weeks back, I saw what looked like a pony in the middle of a busy road at rush hour. Turns out it was a loose Harlequin Great Dane. Everyone else was driving around him, so I got out and wrangled him (no collar to grab onto ).

After walking around with him, talking to whoever was out and about, I found his home. The owners were there, sitting on their front porch, not looking for their dog . Their chainlink fence was wide open...they were just waiting for the dog to come back on his own because they were lazy losers!

So I yell out "Um, is this your dog? He was out in the middle of traffic and was nearly hit 4 times before I could grab him." They mumble something like "yeah", then ignore me, call the dog into the house and just pretend like I am invisible .

In the meantime, someone had called the police already, so I told that lady where to send the police to when they showed up.

These fools had a yard full of purebred dogs of every type and the kicker is that from their front porch, they could see the road their dog was running around on. So they were probably watching their dog darting in and out of traffic.

Yeah, people annoy me every day .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs