Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 07:40 AM

161 posts, read 563,536 times

Advertisements

how do you socialize a dog if he acts like a crazy person at the local dog park? our rescued boxer is almost two and is very friendly - to dogs and people. he is just boisterous. i took him to the dog park yesterday and he was so unruly - running until he was foaming at the mouth, knocking over small dogs, etc...

i want to take him to the park but it creates stress for me. any advice or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 07:49 AM

178 posts, read 574,596 times
I sympathize with you ... I have a rowdy Golden retriever who just wants to play with every one and every dog he meets, whether they want to or not! Do you have a doggie daycare in your area? A good daycare will separate dogs according to activity level, size and personality and may help your dog learn proper canine etiquette from other dogs. You don't have to take your dog every day or even for the whole day -- just a few hours a week or so can really help him. Dog parks are actually not very good at socializing since they attract all types/behaviors. Most daycares will require attendees to pass an evaluation to make sure they're not aggressive.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:50 AM

thank you for your very excellent suggestion! off to google doggy day care facilities here in chesapeake...

Old 10-21-2008, 03:25 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,935 times
Doggy day care's are fine, but unless they have a behaviourist on staff or have people trained he/she will get no help. Try to get a referral for a good trainer.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:15 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
We have an 'almost' one year old English Pointer Lab...she was pretty rough with other dogs (she was not mean, just liked to 'bat' at them). Bigger dogs freaked her out. She still lunges and pulls a lot..
I would also like to take her to the dog park with other dogs (not when it is empty).

We have had her in Obedience Lessons for almost 6 weeks and she has done very well.

I recommend them. At keep trying. Get treats, slowly get your dog used to other dogs...maybe keep him or her on a leash at the park to get less stressed?

Old 10-22-2008, 12:30 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times
spritle,
Your dog just has too much energy. I suggest wearing him down before you go to the dog park. Walking probably will not be enough, if you can try running with him, or riding a bike. When he is exhausted take him to the dog park. Also, consider getting a long training leash for use at the dog park.
Don

Old 10-22-2008, 12:35 PM

620 posts, read 1,951,193 times
I do not have any real suggestions for you, I just want to thank you especially for "rescuing" a boxer. It takes a special person to rescue a dog. We have thirteen year old boxer and she still acts like a puppy! Boxers are a very "spirited" breed.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:06 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
It sounds like he needs basic training and manners. He should not be allowed off the leash until he has learned the basics.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
It sounds like he needs basic training and manners. He should not be allowed off the leash until he has learned the basics.
he has had beginning obedience training and begins intermediate classes next month. at home he obeys without question (well, most of the time). how do you teach a dog manners around dogs if they are never around dogs? i am not sure how i feel about keeping him on a leash in the dogpark. the time we made him sit next to us and calm down, six dogs immediately zoomed over to see what was going on, some in a not so friendly way. i didnt like that at all.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:52 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritle View Post
he has had beginning obedience training and begins intermediate classes next month. at home he obeys without question (well, most of the time). how do you teach a dog manners around dogs if they are never around dogs? i am not sure how i feel about keeping him on a leash in the dogpark. the time we made him sit next to us and calm down, six dogs immediately zoomed over to see what was going on, some in a not so friendly way. i didnt like that at all.
I agree...which is why I don't like dog parks for that reason. But dogs have a pack mentality...you put 2 or 3 together and no way will he calm down. Nor will he listen to you and his commands.
Socialization can begin at basic training...although the trainers will ask you at first not to let them even "nose" one another.
Do you have a friend with a friendly dog. One on one is so much better that a pack at the dog park approaching you. You still have to keep him leashed and introduce slowly....Leashing him is the only way to control him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs