U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 07:07 PM

3,723 posts, read 8,280,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
I have one of the highest prone to ear infections (bloodhounds) and do not feed top line food and have rarely any problems as clean ears every 1 - 2 weeks. I think it is funny everyone blames it on food,just like skin problems and with wrinkles my hounds have knocking on wood never had them problems either. I do not feed generic crap but not all meat either.
It's not the quality of the food so much as the ingredients. Some dogs are allergic to corn - not a natural food for them anyway - and the allergy kicks up and takes hold in warm moist places, which in floppy eared dogs, tend to be the ears. But I had one lab mix who had wrinkles around his mouth who would sporadically get sore spots in them. I had to pay attention and keep them clean and dry, but this was long before the allergy thing came up. Be glad you have bloodhounds, dalmations as far as I've heard are by far the most prone to food allergies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 07:28 PM

75 posts, read 344,151 times
An effective natural remedy for yeast infections is this: Take 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Mix with 1/2 cup of DISTILLED water. Put an eye dropper full in each each twice a day. Massage the solution around and let the dog shake the excess out. The acid in the vinegar kills the enviorment the yeast needs to multiply.
Check your dog food to see if it has wheat, corn or soy in it. They all can cause a yeast infection.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:56 PM

323 posts, read 1,551,908 times
PURPLE EAR CLEANER!!! A Godsend, recommended to me by a former groomer of mine.
Here is the recipe but you can google it:
16 oz. bottle isopropyl alcohol (or witch hazel)
4 tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
16 drops Gentian Violet 1% Solution

All I know is that it works!

Old 12-08-2008, 09:17 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,896,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkielover74 View Post
ok what if you have distilled vinegar only??? will that work or only the apple cider kind??? and is there any other method??? can you use hydrogen peroxide??? help!!!!!!! concerned new owner of a yorkie
Dogs with floppy ears are more prone to yeast infections. Dogs with cropped ears or ears that stand up tend to have less problems. Not to say they can't get yeast infections but you need to be sure it is a yeast infection and not ear mites or an ear infection.

My floppy ear beagle mix has had yeast infections. She scratched and scratched her ears and I could see what looked like 'dirt' in her ears. The vet smelled the black stuff and said it was a yeast infection... because it smelled like 'dark' chocolate. He also checked it for ear mites.

Ironically, I have 4 dogs with floppy ears and she is the only one who has had problems.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:26 PM

692 posts, read 3,585,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by energygrrl View Post
PURPLE EAR CLEANER!!! A Godsend, recommended to me by a former groomer of mine.
Here is the recipe but you can google it:
16 oz. bottle isopropyl alcohol (or witch hazel)
4 tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
16 drops Gentian Violet 1% Solution

All I know is that it works!
I was going to list this!!

When I adopted Ted he had an absolutely horrible yeast/bacterial infection in both ears. I took him to the vet several times and spend $$$ trying to treat it, but nothing worked.

Some one on a different forum told me about this, but it was called the Blue powder Ear Treatment and within a couple weeks his ears were pink and already looking healthy. It's been about a year since I found out about the treatment and his ears have been healthy ever since.
Blue Powder Ear Treatment

Old 07-16-2011, 07:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
We finally took her to her new vet...she kept shaking her head, whining and scratching at her ears.
Poor puppy (nearly a year old!) has a yeast infection in her ears.
We have 2 medicines to treat it.

So--if you have a dog who does this...you might like to bring him or her to vet...!
Hi everyone! My shihtuz had ear infection for 1yr, she used to itch all night all day and had a very foul smell.. Spent a lot of money on the vet but nothing happened, I even tried the vinegar solution that too didn't help, then a friend of mine suggested this drops it's been about 3 months now she is completely cured, use this 3times a day for at least 10 days pull out all the ear hair so the air can flows it's called DermaPet MalAcetic Otic it comes in 118ml bottle ... I hope I hv helped u.. Enjoy ur pet with out the foul smell

Old 10-04-2015, 10:11 PM

5 posts, read 2,988 times
try taking her off any form of chicken join her diet-it worked for us

Old 10-05-2015, 10:43 AM

3,991 posts, read 2,601,043 times
The last post is from 2011 hopefully the dog is better by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs