U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 06:18 PM

6,764 posts, read 19,754,557 times

Advertisements

My lovely dog is 50 lbs, female, nice sweet pointer/lab mix going on a year.
I would love for her to socialize with other dogs. She likes other animals. Our neighbor has 2 cats and she cries when she sees them. Same for one of neighbor's beautiful brown and white husky mix.

We have her in Obedience Classes and she is doing very well. She used to bat other dogs when she met them. Now she is usually more confident but still tends to bring out the worse in many of them (growling).

More often than not, when we meet other dogs, they wind up growling at her.

Tonight some lab dog did it on our walk. Labs are supposed to be nice!

Can anyone give me any insight or suggestions? Do they see her as an easy target?

She seems better with smaller dogs.

*note, when she was about 5-6 months old some big dog came charging up to us and nearly attacked her. I had to call the owner (scream until she pulled the dog away).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 06:43 PM

7,079 posts, read 34,517,375 times
Some dogs are naturally submissive. Other dogs have a body language that, to other dogs, is hostile. A fascinating little booklet is Turid Rugaas' 'Calming Signals' that you can order from Amazon. This wise observer of dog behavior and trainer describes and shows the various ways that dogs communicate with all the parts of their bodies. And other dogs understand!

Old 10-22-2008, 06:57 PM

6,764 posts, read 19,754,557 times
Thanks for that suggestion. I think I get a little hyper sensitive about this. My husband said to me (when I told him about the latest incident) 'not to worry, it's the other dog's problem.'

I'm like the mom with the little kid no one likes--my son has issues, my dog has issues..it's hard to be 'abnormal' sometimes!!

Old 10-22-2008, 06:58 PM

55,644 posts, read 74,585,953 times
same reason they like to bully me?
biting, i regret, is an effective bully deterrent.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:50 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,270,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
A fascinating little booklet is Turid Rugaas' 'Calming Signals' that you can order from Amazon.
Thanks for the idea. I shall get this book, because so far, "knock that @#%$ off!" hasn't worked! Sometimes, I add to the fray, unfortunately...(I'm kidding, for the most part).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I'm like the mom with the little kid no one likes--my son has issues, my dog has issues..it's hard to be 'abnormal' sometimes!!
Noooooo!!! No abnormal! Good doggie mom is what you are! You just think everybody should play nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
same reason they like to bully me?
biting, i regret, is an effective bully deterrent.
Oh my goodness, it's an epidemic! Hmmm...you're talking about dogs, right??

Old 10-22-2008, 11:00 PM

4,541 posts, read 13,121,704 times
I've actually got Turid Rugas "Calming Signals" on DVD. When dogs approach each other they have methods of approaching... things they do to make friends. Yawning, looking away, sitting still... are all calming things that they do when they're in new or stressful situations or meeting new dogs. There are others that I can't remember right now. It is interesting.

My puppy is a lab mix, too. They say labs think everyone is their friends and therefore make bad watchdogs.
It seems like they see other dogs the same way.

I watch him with the neighborhood dogs alot. One dog in the neighborhood is a real "alpha" dog ... he's a growler.
There's another stand offish dog that still growls at my dog.

It's about establishing their pack order, I'm sure, to some degree... letting him know who's boss.

But, I just think that labs are extremely gregarious and not all dogs are as quick to make friends.
Doesn't stop my boy from trying! Even if they've growled at him before he's determined to make a new friend eventually. He'll go right back for more.

The Turid Rugas DVD shows how dogs approach each other and you can observe that generally... but, it seems that my puppy doesn't follow the "rules".

Last edited by World Citizen; 10-22-2008 at 11:20 PM..

Old 10-23-2008, 01:27 AM

13,313 posts, read 25,546,272 times
My senior border collie/corgi mix has seemed to be the target of housemates. This started when his brother, who apparently was sort of the top dog, died. A shy, formerly feral dog became obsessed with stalking Kona, preventing him from entering the room, etc. She attacked him once, and I should have taken that more to heart. The Best Friends dog trainers were wonderful with their time and suggestions, and I thought I had a handle on when and why she would attack him. However, I came home one day and found him bleeding out, in shock, as she had bitten his femoral artery.
He survived after three days in the E.R., and I sent her back to Best Friends (where people were as confused and surprised as I was).
Sometime after that, my other larger dog attacked him, less seriously, but still an attack. That dog now goes in the bedroom if I'm not home. I did see that Kona gets in between any dogs that are making fighting noises or growling and tries to herd them apart. (Altruism? Death wish?) and one of the dogs might well turn on him. Even after being injured, he still tries to break up fights or fighting noises, at half the other dogs' size and at age 13.
When his brother was alive, he also tried to break up fights, but never got hurt. For the record, when he and his brother were younger and my only dogs, they did occasionally get into real fights.
I do think my former dog, the female feral, was taking over when Kona's brother got sick and died. The first real fight was when I first noticed the brother might be sick (he died in two months of liver failure). I think she took over with a very heavy hand, and was a bully- she only pushed around the smaller dogs, not the dog who was her size. (She is now likely being adopted by a Best Friends staffer who has bonded with her. She was a very neat dog, and didn't attack any other dog, despite bullying the beagle and the little cattle dog).
I'd try not to project human qualities onto dogs' interactions. It's not the same as a little kid being "rejected" by other kids. Maybe your dog wants to play with other dogs who don't wish to be approached, hence their reaction.
If your dog seems happy and healthy, I'd be satisfied with that. Best wishes.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:48 AM

4,713 posts, read 10,173,374 times
Dash loves other dogs and is great around them but if there is a bully in the group and it is usually a female she will lock sight on him and push him around to the point that we often just leave as he is not having fun. There is something in his body language that they notice right away. He is submissive so he does hide behind me to get away from the bully.

If there are no bullies in the group he has a ball and is the dog that can get alot of the dogs that do not play to play.Having grown up in the shadow of the beast (Jazz) he has alot of experience with difficult dogs

Old 05-05-2013, 09:46 AM

3 posts, read 6,805 times
I have three dogs ( Schnauzer, Lab mix, and beagle Mix), and recently someone dropped off a puppy Australian Shepherd which now is big and only 5 months old. The Australian Shepard bits my schnauzer on his eye and pulls his beard. My schnauzer is my baby and I have got to stop this aggressive behavior by the Shepard, if I can't get this bullying behavior stopped I will have to get rid of the Shepherd. Otherwise the shepherd is smart and is loving towards us. The shepherd at first bit my lab's eye but now my lab took her down and now they play. My beagle growls ferocious which keeps the shepherd at bay. My schnauzer is a mid-size schnauzer and he tries to get away from the shepherd but the shepherd still gets at him. Now my schnauzers eye is messed up and running and I am treating him with antibiotics. My schnauzer has become withdrawn.

I have been separating the shepherd in one part of the yard that is closed off from the other side of the yard. However, it seems like it is making the shepherd really mad at the schnauzer. I am at my wits end. I am thinking about getting a shock collar for the shepherd to stop the behavior. IN addition, the shepherd bulls doze ahead of the other dogs and pushes them aside. Please help me with this. I don't have the immense time to be consistent because I work. The behavior has to stop NOW.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:08 AM

11,157 posts, read 20,437,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrie417 View Post
I have three dogs ( Schnauzer, Lab mix, and beagle Mix), and recently someone dropped off a puppy Australian Shepherd which now is big and only 5 months old. The Australian Shepard bits my schnauzer on his eye and pulls his beard. My schnauzer is my baby and I have got to stop this aggressive behavior by the Shepard, if I can't get this bullying behavior stopped I will have to get rid of the Shepherd. Otherwise the shepherd is smart and is loving towards us. The shepherd at first bit my lab's eye but now my lab took her down and now they play. My beagle growls ferocious which keeps the shepherd at bay. My schnauzer is a mid-size schnauzer and he tries to get away from the shepherd but the shepherd still gets at him. Now my schnauzers eye is messed up and running and I am treating him with antibiotics. My schnauzer has become withdrawn.

I have been separating the shepherd in one part of the yard that is closed off from the other side of the yard. However, it seems like it is making the shepherd really mad at the schnauzer. I am at my wits end. I am thinking about getting a shock collar for the shepherd to stop the behavior. IN addition, the shepherd bulls doze ahead of the other dogs and pushes them aside. Please help me with this. I don't have the immense time to be consistent because I work. The behavior has to stop NOW.
I think you should find a new home for the shepherd where he can be the only dog. It sounds like he needs someone to put a lot of time into training him, and you don't have time. Also, three dogs is probably enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or