U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 04:50 PM

29 posts, read 256,518 times
Default Dog will NOT stop urinating on carpet!!

My husband and I recently aquired a new dog, a puggle from a man who just didn't have time for her anymore and she was constantly in a cage. He assured us she was potty trained. She's 2 years old, VERY healthy.. Had all the check ups for UTI's, crystals in urine etc etc. by us and previous owner.. Nothing.. she however will not stop urinating in the house! We have carpets and we gave in and bought a carpet cleaner and use the Natures miracle as a cleaner, the no marking kind specifically.... I thought maybe it was a dominace thing over my other dog a toy poodle but I dont know..

We can take her out 5 times a day and she's still guarenteed to pee at least once on the carpet, or my couch or my bed. We've even gone as far as gettin baby gates to put up around the house to keep her out of places!

She's also obsessed with water so we've limited her intake well rather controlled it because if you put down a bucket of wate she'll drink the whole thing. We make sure she gets enough but not too much. She even jumps in the shower to drink the water... Not diabetic or anything like that though..

I'm just at a loss!! I have had many dogs and all have been sucessfully house broken, this dog however refuses.. Won't crate train, won't do it for treats nothing! Help where do I go from here!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 05:11 PM

7,081 posts, read 24,174,349 times
Obviously, she's NOT trained, the guy wasn't being honest with you. Having said that, I will also say that YOU are in control and shouldn't let her go on the carpet or bed or wherever she's having accidents that upset you so much. All she wants to do is please you, it's just that she doesn't know what that is.

Please take a look at post #4 in this thread: I just got two puppies

This is my housetraining post and it WORKS, as long as you follow it TO THE LETTER. No cheating: no letting the dog out in the yard alone, no cruddy treats from the store, and NO scolding. And EVERYONE in the house has to be consisten in using this method.

Part of your problem, which I also address in this post, is how you clean up her accidents. You need to stock up on Nature's Miracle and use it LIBERALLY.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:54 PM

5,503 posts, read 13,721,151 times
Well clearly she is not potty trained. She was constantly in a cage, so she thinks that anytime she is let out of the cage, everywhere else is a place to go potty.

You need to train her as if she were a puppy starting from scratch. That means, for now, you keep her in the crate at night and while you are out of the house. When you let her out, you take her directly outside. Preferably with the other dog, so she can watch the other dog pee in the yard as well. (I know some owners who also pee in the yard, to show their dogs how to do it!)

When she pees, you praise her. Make a big deal about it. Praise, praise, praise.

Same thing after a meal. After she is done eating, you take her directly outside. Carry her out if you need to. Stay outside until she does her business. Same thing in the morning when she wakes up. Take her outside. Directly outside. Stay there until she does her business.

Eventually she will understand that outside is where we go pee. Once that happens, you start to let her out of the crate in confined areas, and so on.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:18 PM

3,068 posts, read 5,223,172 times
Take her outside every hour on the hour during the day. When I got my dog, she had been at the no kill shelter for a month and had regressed a bit in her potty training, and would go anywhere. Within a week and half, she was asking to go out to potty.
You have been given some good advice. Good Luck with her.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Part of your problem, which I also address in this post, is how you clean up her accidents. You need to stock up on Nature's Miracle and use it LIBERALLY.

I literally put it IN my carpet cleaner and clean the ENTIRE house with it when I clean the carpets.. which at this point is about 2 times to 3 time a week.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Well clearly she is not potty trained. She was constantly in a cage, so she thinks that anytime she is let out of the cage, everywhere else is a place to go potty.

You need to train her as if she were a puppy starting from scratch. That means, for now, you keep her in the crate at night and while you are out of the house. When you let her out, you take her directly outside. Preferably with the other dog, so she can watch the other dog pee in the yard as well. (I know some owners who also pee in the yard, to show their dogs how to do it!)

When she pees, you praise her. Make a big deal about it. Praise, praise, praise.

Same thing after a meal. After she is done eating, you take her directly outside. Carry her out if you need to. Stay outside until she does her business. Same thing in the morning when she wakes up. Take her outside. Directly outside. Stay there until she does her business.

Eventually she will understand that outside is where we go pee. Once that happens, you start to let her out of the crate in confined areas, and so on.

thats exactly what we do, cage at night and when we're not here. First thing in am she goes out, eats.. half hour later she's out again... then from the time she eats again at 4 we take her out at least 7 times minimum. I'm home all day so she's not going long periods without supervision and this has been going on since July when we got her and we've been trying desperatly since then to fix this.

She'll literally pee right in front of us even if she pee's outside she'll come in walk on the carpet and pee immediatly, So we turn around take her right back out. She's literally pee'd right on my foot while I wasn't looking... This is why I'm at a loss. I've trained her just like she was a puppy, tried all the things I can think of, sprayed the entire house with Natures Miracle, every inch and nothing. I've trained 5 other dogs I've had and all have caught on just not her... I let her out with my other dog so she can see him do his business and for a while she had him regressed and he was going in the house but we fixed that..

Old 10-31-2008, 08:20 AM

9,735 posts, read 23,668,058 times
Has she had a complete medical check-up? Don't just assume she is healthy if it is what the seller told you...he obviously has already lied to you at least once.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:25 AM

19,923 posts, read 10,977,983 times
Hmmm sounds like you have a sooner.
Sooner pee on the floor than anywhere else. My sister has a talent for finding sooners LOL. Training training and more training still.
Get a shock collar. Nail the sooner as soon as you see it begin to search for a spot. Take it outside and let it do its business outside. Praise, praise and more praise. I have helped my sister defeat this problem more times than I care to think about.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:27 AM

28,103 posts, read 22,881,067 times
Crate train her. Also watch her water intake. She may have psychogenic polydipsia.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:41 AM

7,081 posts, read 24,174,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Get a shock collar.

NO SHOCK COLLAR. EVER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs