U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 06:28 PM

6,764 posts, read 13,605,806 times
Default Dog toys that your CHEWERS do not/cannot destroy--recommendations

I have been to the pet store and we bought those toys that said 'dogs cannot destroy' (like a certain 'pseudo tennis ball that cost more than a few bucks) and our dog ripped them up in a few minutes.

Remember those squeaky hotdog and hamburger toys? Forget it..(chomp, rip 2 seconds). Who do they make those toys for?

The only toy she has not ripped apart yet is her red kong (the durable rubber one).

So, from REAL dog owners--let us know what toys are WORTH the money, and what aren't...

I'd love some real advice because my girl needs some toys that will last (we have plenty 'cheap junk' I let her rip up but I want to invest in some better ones.)

Aggressive chewers need 'special entertaining..'

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 08:15 PM

9,735 posts, read 23,668,058 times
Kong toys....Nyla bones...there is also a very hard ball...which the name escapes me...my daughter had one for exotic big cats she use to work with...they advertise they are indestructible...I will get the name of it from her.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:20 PM

Found it!
BoomerBall.com | Animal Enrichment Zoo Toys indestructible dog toys BoomerBall.com | hearding ball, hearding trainer, indestructible dog toys

Old 10-30-2008, 08:27 PM

4,517 posts, read 8,202,575 times
Kong toys last a long time but my last dog totally destroyed two Kongs. They lasted longer than anything else but they are NOT indestructible.

I don't think anything is indestructible. My last dog did not like Nylabones too much.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:39 PM

The Boomer balls actually lasted quite awhile with the big cats. Lots of scratches and gnawing marks...but no chunks out of them....I doubt a dog could do what they did to them!

Old 10-30-2008, 10:28 PM

8,204 posts, read 23,492,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Kong toys last a long time but my last dog totally destroyed two Kongs. They lasted longer than anything else but they are NOT indestructible.

I don't think anything is indestructible. My last dog did not like Nylabones too much.
Same in my house. They last a good while, but they don't last forever. Anything else is destroyed in minutes though, so by comparison, they last forever!

Kongs and Nylabones rule! (and I suppose the BoomerBall too, though we've never had one)

Old 10-30-2008, 10:29 PM

8,204 posts, read 23,492,940 times
Just checked out their site - those look awesome! They're on my dogs' wish list now! Thanks for the link!

Old 10-30-2008, 10:36 PM

16,272 posts, read 29,836,920 times
My pittie mix has not destroyed the extra large Kong although he has chewed the end off of the large one. Nylabones also are good. He also likes raw carrots, which are good for him, although they don't last too long. But it's something different to chew on. And he loves the cheeze whiz inside the kong.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:06 AM

8,063 posts, read 11,345,889 times
I don't know if you'd consider them "toys" but my dogs LOVE cow hooves and they last them a long time! They toss them around and enjoy a frequent chew, LOL. They're cheap, too -- just 99 cents each!

Kongs are indestructible in my house because my dogs don't enjoy playing with them, grrrrr. I don't think they like the rubber texture and smell. Besides, they know dang well that I'll give them bedtime treats and they apparently don't feel it's worth it to "work at" getting the treats out of the Kongs, LOL.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:27 AM

6,764 posts, read 13,605,806 times
My dog did not touch a nylabone we had for months. I put a bit of p.butter on it and she started to rip apart the super hard plastic...she's just a big time chewer!

Great ideas everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs