U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 03:19 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,815,180 times

Advertisements

My three dogs will wrestle each other over the cat's poop. No matter where I hide the litterbox they find a way to get to it. Right now I have a childrens gate blocking access but I just know they will find a way around that. I try to scoop as soon as she poops but most of the time the dogs get to it before I do. I must say it is pretty easy to figure out who the winner of the three was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 04:29 PM

973 posts, read 2,791,145 times
This delicacy known as "Kitty Caviar" is only served in the finest litter boxes.

I used to ask my dog if she'd like some wine and crackers for her "Grey Poop On". Mmmmm, Mmmmmm good!

Look at it like this...........You'll save so much time since you don't have to scoop the litter box out.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:16 PM

830 posts, read 2,162,632 times
Yes, my dog will pass up dog food if she can get her mouth on cat poop instead. As we have a bevy of cats here, I'm sure she's sneaking at least one poop a day, maybe more. Ugh. And she kisses her mother with that mouth too!

It makes sense that it is something particular to cat poop, because she ignores dog poop, horse poop, and cow poop that we encounter every day on our walks.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:44 AM

13,773 posts, read 31,539,656 times
LOL.. I am sitting here reading this thread, just got finished cleaning the litter boxes which I do have fenced off to keep the dogs out, when all of a sudden here come the weim with the pooper scooper for the cat box in her mouth. I guess they will go for even the leftovers!!

If you want to really gross friends out the next time you have a party make a litter box cake.. with tootsie rolls on the top.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:59 PM

8,204 posts, read 30,490,937 times
Why eat cat poop?

Because it's delicious of course!

Coprophagia. It's real and it's oh-so-gross .

Coprophagia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would do your best to discourage this behavior. These aren't your own cats, so you don't know what kind of parasites or diseases they may have, and they're obviously outdoors and exposed to many things.

I recently moved into a more urban area and we have our share of feral cats. I installed an awesome fence, but the cats have no problem climbing it and pooping in our backyard. My poop-eating dog always finds the cat poops before I do . Inside the house, I have control though and she is not allowed near our own indoor cat's litterbox.

The worst is when you have one of these dogs and they teach your other dogs about it ! My poop-eater tried to teach our male dog to eat cat poop. He ate it once or twice, but didn't see the attraction and quickly gave it up. Now we have a younger female who looks up to her "big sister" and she is eating cat poop when she is asked to....peer pressure!

Old 11-10-2008, 10:08 AM

8,817 posts, read 14,924,951 times
our puppy has developed a fondness for all of the poop species

and it did start to get contagious as our older dog even made a couple runs - even to go as far as to lick up kitty litter off the carpet (which was trailed after the dog took it's head out of the box)

our vet said she has the same issue with "tootsie rolls"

was so disgusting - she'd come around the corner and the litter would be stuck to her nose and i'd pull up her jowels and see it encrusted in her teeth and gums

she also would snack outside

finally found a way to secure the box from her and started cleaning up after them outside almost immediately and would hawk her when outside - seems to have broken her of the habit for now

but i imagine like all addicts the urge for poop eating will return and one day she'll come back in, hop up on the couch, go to lick and i'll be treated to that fresh poo aroma

Old 11-11-2008, 10:05 AM

8,309 posts, read 31,708,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
One theory is that cat food is very high in protein and cats' digestive tracts aren't very efficient. Cat food is very high in protein and their stool still has protein and nutrients remaining which some dogs feel is tasty.
In addition, dogs on dry foods are often deficient when it comes to the natural gut flora. An excellent way to shore up gut bacteria is to consume feces and it would seem from my own amateur observation that cat droppings must be about the richest source to be found.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:47 AM

2,725 posts, read 4,594,376 times
Thats a good point, at times i feed my dog some plain yogurt for her intestinal tract, i wonder if you guys put some plain yogurt in your dogfood they might stop this, who knows?

Old 11-11-2008, 10:53 AM

3,031 posts, read 7,549,587 times
You know, this thread gives me an idea. All dog medications should be cat-poo-flavored. That way, you'd never have a problem getting your dog to take his pills.

Brilliant! I'm going to be rich, rich I say, RICH!

Old 11-11-2008, 11:16 AM

2,725 posts, read 4,594,376 times
LOL, good point tho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs