U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 11:23 AM

399 posts, read 887,524 times

Advertisements

Dogs are notorious for engaging in coprophagia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 12:38 PM

7,741 posts, read 18,444,088 times
They're notorious for it but none of my dogs have ever eaten poo. I think a lot of that talk is repeated over & over about a dog someone knew that wound up having mineral deficiencies.

Actually, I take that first sentence back... one of them did think the litter box my old roommate had for his cats was a snack bar.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:35 PM

8,204 posts, read 23,988,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
Thats a good point, at times i feed my dog some plain yogurt for her intestinal tract, i wonder if you guys put some plain yogurt in your dogfood they might stop this, who knows?
Mine get plain yogurt on their breakfast kibble, yet the love for poop continues .

Old 11-12-2008, 01:37 PM

8,204 posts, read 23,988,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
You know, this thread gives me an idea. All dog medications should be cat-poo-flavored. That way, you'd never have a problem getting your dog to take his pills.

Brilliant! I'm going to be rich, rich I say, RICH!
Well now you told us about the idea, SuSuSushi ! I'll race you to the Patent Office ! Somebody book me on Oprah - this is sure to be one of her "favorite things"!!

Old 11-12-2008, 01:49 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,967,537 times
I call cat poo "Hershey Kisses." My dog loves them. Thank goodness we don't have a cat and only have to deal with that when we go to see my mom.

Another thing my dog loves is DEER POOP. My parents have acreage on a mountain, and there are lots of deer. When we go up, my dog spends all his walks in the woods rooting around for deer poop. It's like little piles of dried-up blueberries. My dog thinks it's fabulous.

With cat poop, I've heard that it's the taurine that makes it taste so delicious. I don't know what's the appeal with deer poop. (Although my dog DOES love his fruit and vegetables, and since that's what deer eat....)

Old 07-03-2013, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 530 times
I read that dogs get eating poop from their momma's......their moms do it to keep the "home nest" clean when they have a litter of puppies. Some of the puppies pick up on this and start helping momma keep the home clean and they never grow out of it. Kind of makes sense ...........all though I am not sure how try it is. Also I do not believe a cats poop could be good for a dog no matter how much protien is in it- what about worms and disease???

Old 07-03-2013, 07:22 PM

10,204 posts, read 5,142,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
One theory is that cat food is very high in protein and cats' digestive tracts aren't very efficient. Cat food is very high in protein and their stool still has protein and nutrients remaining which some dogs feel is tasty.
^^^^This is what my vet told me.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:13 PM

26,463 posts, read 17,788,424 times
It's just recycled cat food. Makes sense to me! Waste not--Want not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs