U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 05:18 AM

254 posts, read 681,729 times

Advertisements

I need some advice. I am trying to adopt a 6 month old Collie Mix that is set to be put to sleep on Tuesday. She is in the Catoosa Animal Shelter and I have been calling the shelter and e-mailing people for over a week!!!, but have yet to get a response. I live in PA and they transport adoptable dogs all the time. I need to get the dog in foster care or a good kennel for two weeks before they transport her. She is currently on the "Dogs In Danger" website and will be euthanized on Tuesday. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this poor dog out of there!!! I would love to give this dog a second chance and the life she deserves.

Thank-you for any help you can give me

Old 11-09-2008, 05:22 AM

4,130 posts, read 13,303,291 times
Hopefully you'll get some answers here but it probably wouldnt hurt to post on Craigslist in your area, have noticed a lot of shelter postings on CL. It's frustrating when there's no communication and the dog's days are numbered or sometimes they'll post about the dog just a day or 2 before it's to be put down and people try contacting the shelter and their calls and emails go unanswered. Best of luck and please keep us posted.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:28 AM

The dog is in Georgia and I am in PA. Should I post on GA's Craigslist
and see if someone can help me adopt the dog or foster her for two weeks?

Old 11-09-2008, 06:18 AM

1,188 posts, read 4,961,047 times
That's worth a try or you may even try calling some of the local rescue groups in GA close to that shelter and talking to them. Tell them you are willing to sign appropriate documentation via fax and willing to provide a donation if they could help you out until the next transport.

That's disappointing that you have been trying for a week and have not had any return responses from the shelter. I COMMEND you for looking to rescue a pet and provide a second chance!

Old 11-09-2008, 06:59 AM

1,667 posts, read 8,375,511 times
Donate an unusual amount of food to the shelter and have it delivered in front of news cameras to that particular dog. Call the media, they're always looking for a story. Dog food is bulky, and a couple hundred dollars worth would fill a pick-up truck, so it won't be a huge investment (compared to actually owning a dog). See if a business would donate for their advertisement (Chamber of Commerce can help). It cost a lot of money to keep a dog in the "pound" and if they could afford to, they would never destroy one. People who work in those places want to help, too. They just can't afford to. The food you donate will buy the dog some time, and the media will influence others to help and promote the dilemma of unwanted pets. Good luck! P.S. Any animal shelter would appreciate food and blankets to be dropped off. I buy one bag for my dogs, and one for the local shelter. Maybe a pet will get that extra 24 hours chance to be adopted.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:52 AM

19,822 posts, read 55,970,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbey View Post
The dog is in Georgia and I am in PA. Should I post on GA's Craigslist
and see if someone can help me adopt the dog or foster her for two weeks?
Post in both areas, yours and the dog's. Can't hurt!

Old 11-09-2008, 11:38 AM

4,541 posts, read 13,121,704 times
Most shelters won't adopt to people out of state. They all have an application process.

That's probably why you haven't heard from them.

I guess I'm wondering how you became aware of this particular dog since you're in PA and the dog is in GA....????

Old 11-09-2008, 12:48 PM
miu

17,127 posts, read 34,619,338 times
How do you know that the collie is due to be PTS on Tuesday? I went to their petfinder site and none of their animals were listed as "urgent".

Yes, some shelters don't like to adopt to out of state people, but others don't care. I know of one dog transport person, but he lives in NC and only picks up animals along I-95 to go up to CT. I want to adopt a terrier in NC, but she's somewhere along I-85. So if I get a green light from the shelter that I can adopt her, I will be driving down to pick her up myself. It's 850 miles each way. Fortunately, gas has been getting cheaper.

How much are you willing to spend on this dog? It's $60 for the adoption fee. I see that the shelter is near TN. There was one rescue service in TN that told me that to get a dog transported up my way would cost about $200. I could ask them for you who their dog transport service is.

There is also a site AcmePetTransport. It's a site that looks for volunteers to take different one hour legs of a transport. Maybe you can piggyback on one that is already set up.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:59 PM

The dog is listed on the "Dogs In Danger" website. They list all dogs from variouos shelters and when they are to be put down. I was looking for a dog in my area and somehow came to the Catoosa web site and just fell in love with the dog!! Don't know why, but I have already contacted a transport service and it will cost $150.00. I just need someone to kennel or foster for two weeks until it can be transported. That's the transports rules.
Anyway, I still have not heard from anyway affiliated with the shelter. I will call again on Monday morning and try my best. Maybe a donation of food or blankets will help as well and other dogs too.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:51 PM

702 posts, read 2,245,877 times
Ringgold, GA. 30736
Phone: 706-935-2454
Email:
darla.proctor@ccpetkeeper.comClick here for a list of pets at this shelter

Did you try these?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or