U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Pet dog: puppy housebreaking, veterinary care, allergist.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 02:57 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,257,774 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was thinking of getting a dog as I have more time on my hands for one. I read a lot of your posts and admire you for having a nice pet, and some of you have more than one dog. I love dogs, but.....and maybe you can guide me. I'd appreciate your thoughts, especially from you who have all the experience owning a dog.

My wife is not much of a dog lover but I think a Maltese or **** zhu will grow on her. The biggest problem for me (us) is housebreaking and having accidents around the house. I'd really like a "friend" for companionship. I don't have a problem walking a dog for exercise but wouldn't want to get up at 6 or 7 am to walk a dog especially with the winter. I have a split level (open floor plan perfect for a dog), and a fenced in yard, no gate.

I can't even think of a cat as I am allergic to them, probably less work. That's why I would have to think of an hypoallergenic dog.

Does a dog really tie you down when you want to do things? We are empty nesters so we come and go as we like. I know you can crate train a dog which probably in some cases is good.

The thing with a dog, you don't know what to expect if end up with one that has problems, whether medical, training etc.

I'm just telling you all my thoughts so you can give me the right feedback, not to offend if there are some issues I have that would not be an issue for most of you. To me dogs are amazing and it hurts watching Animal Planet to see how abused some are. I feel so bad for them.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 03:19 PM

6,021 posts, read 13,550,951 times
first off, it's SHIH Tzu (the CD censors corrected you there )

second, I wouldn't get a dog and just hope you wife grows to love it. make sure everyone is 1000% ok w/ the dog before getting one

you can eliminate issues w/ housebreaking, and possibly even training, by adopting a dog from a shelter. I adopted a shih tzu from the shelter and she was fully housebroken and knew some basic skills like sit (plus, she LOVED to play fetch and was rather good at it!).

owning a dog means having to do stuff you'd rather not. yeah, if you live in a cold climate, you will have to take the dog outside in the mornings to potty. if you have a securly fenced in yard, you could just toss the dog out there for a few minutes to potty, but he/she WILL have to be fully exercised somehow, and that will require for you to go out in the cold to do so (unless your house is so huge, you can tire out a small, lazy dog indoors)

you should prepare for any medical emergencies. they do happen, especially as the dog gets older. for example, shih tzus do have issues with dry eye and scratched corneas and if you shih develops it, it will need eye drops. some breeds are hardier than others when it comes to health, and mutts tend to be even hardier, but old dogs can develop issues. track down a good vet, make note of any 24/7 emergency vets, and keep some cash or a credit card handy for vet bills

please go to an allergist and make sure you can tolerate a dog. hypoallergenic =/= 100% safe for people w/ allergies. I had visitors still react to my shih tzu when she got in their face. owning a hypoallergenic dog can reduce the chances of being very allergic to the pet, but isn't foolproof

yes, a dog will tie you down, and you'll need to plan for that. getting a small dog will be easier than having a large dog, but still present issues. if you fly a lot, get a dog small enough to fit in cabin, under the seat, and be prepared to pay extra in pet fares and pet friendly hotels/motels. you can invest in a dog walker/pet sitter, or even a kennel, but it can be expensive. crating a dog is fine for short times, but some dogs don't take to it that quickly or well.

just make sure you do plenty of research and consult your wife and an allergist. and hopefully, look into adoption (if you must but a purebred, make 10000% sure it's from a reputable breeder. buying from a BYB or pet store is just setting you up for hefty vet bills and emotional issues)

Old 11-10-2008, 03:29 PM

7,079 posts, read 34,543,613 times
I think if everyone is NOT in love with the idea of getting a dog, then that ends it. Remember, your dog is going to have accidents (Yes, even older dogs have accidents when they get to new homes), get into things, demand your time and attention and require (expensive) veterinary care. If everyone isn't on board with all of this, it's not a good idea.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:41 PM

10,091 posts, read 36,895,513 times
Dogs can be a wonderful addition to any family...BUT and it is a huge BUT....it takes 100% commitment. And as mentioned above, if your wife is not thrilled with the idea, I would say it is better that you not get a dog. They need to be taken out ALL times of the day...face it, when you gotta go, you gotta go! Not when it is most convienient for you. Vet and food bills have to be thought of...and of course the time invested. If you are use to just picking up and going....boarding or house sitter is a must. Please, re-think the whole idea through, before you make your move.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:39 PM

This is good feedback I am looking for, thanks. I am doing my homework first, as everyone should do before a major decision like this. I know your heart says one thing, especially when you go to a shelter and see them so sad. I'm thinking about volunteer work at a shelter when I retire to help.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:09 PM

Give me a break, I did see the correction on Shih Tzu, that's a tough one but I've seen many basic words misspelled on here, basic words that go unnoticed!

Old 11-10-2008, 06:24 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,230,154 times
If there is even one slight doubt or question about owning a dog or any pet ......it will not work! I have seen the reality of it many times.
Most end up back in the shelter where they came from or end up there as a first timer with statistics that prove at never finding a forever home.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:32 PM

10,091 posts, read 36,895,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
Give me a break, I did see the correction on Shih Tzu, that's a tough one but I've seen many basic words misspelled on here, basic words that go unnoticed!

The mis-spelling had nothing to do with it. The CD censorship picked it up as a swear/vulgar word. Happens all the time.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:59 PM

6,764 posts, read 19,769,376 times
I suggest you and your wife watch It's Me or the Dog. Dogs are great but a lot of work. Little ones can pretty much go many places with you (big ones, too). Ours is 50 lbs and is home alone mainly when we go to the supermarket. We plan a lot of outing to parks and she loves riding in the car.

A dog will rule your life and your heart but don't do it unless your wife is willing. It will not be fair to the dog.

We all love our dog but she's demanding and draining in her need for exercise and attention. Maybe you can go volunteer at a pet shelter or something to help out animals and do good for them.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:24 PM

423 posts, read 1,332,510 times
Hi, I'd like to chime in here. I disagree with the folks who say you have to be 100% sure about adopting - I know countless people (myself included) who ended up with pets, dogs included, when they weren't out looking for them! I think it's your judgement to make on whether your wife will come around, after all you know her better than we do. Now if she HATES dogs...but I'm sure you wouldn't be considering one if she did.

One think I'd suggest is fostering. Look for a breed rescue in your area that can give you more info about that, but it's a great way to 'test-drive' having a dog, while providing a temporary home to a dog that would otherwise be put to sleep in the shelter, while it waits for a permanent home. A good rescue group will be available to answer any questions about care, behavior, etc of your foster dog.

And definitely adopt an adult dog, you'll have much less to deal with as far as housebreaking and puppy chewing etc.

LOL at the censors...they always catch "cocker spaniel" as well.

Good luck with whatever you choose. It is a lot of work having a dog, but definitely very rewarding as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs