U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 11:19 AM

146 posts, read 158,514 times

Advertisements

What are the best 'Ask your vet' websites that are free? Or any website where I can ask some health questions about my dog and get an answer back relatively quickly? A site similar to this where we can post back and forth would be ideal.

My dog has a small growth on his leg (near where it joins the chest). At first it was just a small lump. Then it grew this small rubbery-like extension. The lump part is no more than about 1/2 to 3/4 inch and the rubbery-like extension is like 1/4 inch long and 1/8 inch thick. I don't think its been there more than a couple of weeks. (Male chow-mix 8 years old) I want to wait and see if it dries up and falls off. These days you take a dog to the vet and its over 100.00 to diagnose anything which usually turns out to be nothing. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 11:21 AM

3,068 posts, read 5,304,727 times
Please take your dog to your vet to find out what it is. If its cancerous, you will want to know sooner than later.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:52 AM

16,392 posts, read 30,697,184 times
It's not going to dry up and fall off on its own! You need a vet. MAybe your humane society can recommend a low-cost vet.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:05 PM

3,528 posts, read 5,746,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katolb90 View Post
What are the best 'Ask your vet' websites that are free? Or any website where I can ask some health questions about my dog and get an answer back relatively quickly? A site similar to this where we can post back and forth would be ideal.

My dog has a small growth on his leg (near where it joins the chest). At first it was just a small lump. Then it grew this small rubbery-like extension. The lump part is no more than about 1/2 to 3/4 inch and the rubbery-like extension is like 1/4 inch long and 1/8 inch thick. I don't think its been there more than a couple of weeks. (Male chow-mix 8 years old) I want to wait and see if it dries up and falls off. These days you take a dog to the vet and its over 100.00 to diagnose anything which usually turns out to be nothing. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?
I definately agree that you should have it checked by a vet but don't panic. It sounds like it could be a "skin tag". Google "skin tag" and see if it matches what you are seeing. My dog developed one and she is just fine.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:13 PM

7,081 posts, read 24,538,694 times
You need to take your dog to the vet.

Certain breeds are prone to develop mast cell tumors. All breeds with mastiff/bulldog in their backgrounds have a tendency to develop these skin cancers. This includes Boston terriers, boxers, pugs, French bulldogs, mastiffs, bulldogs, etc.

There is NO way to be able to tell what a growth is without getting a piece of it to a pathologist. Please take your dog to a vet.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:15 PM

I have a vet, I just wanted to find out if some other folks have experienced something similar. Any website suggestions?

He has had some swelling in his leg that went away. That's why I wanted to wait a bit and see what happens. If he did have cancer though, I don't think I would treat it. This may sound mean, but we've been together for 8 and 1/2 years now and he was always kind of a 'cat dog'. Where as I wanted a 'dog dog', like my other dog. He is part Chow and has that aloof personality. When I got him, long ago, I didn't know much about dogs. I have since learned a ton! Don't get me wrong, I love him and he's been well-cared for, but he hasn't been the best match for me or my female. He hardly wants to play with her at all and he's been like that for years. I know its just the personality of the breed. He's a beautiful dog. He always gets lots of compliments when we walk at the park. And he can be affectionate every blue moon, but he mostly wants walks, treats or to play. All this said, he is more affectionate now than he used to be. Let me tell you this one funny story. Imagine this. You're on the floor petting and kissing your dog and you think you're really bonding. You're feeling that human-dog love bond. Your dog abruptly and unexpectedly gets up and walks into another room. You're feeling used and abused. LOL. Thats my wonderful boy.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:17 PM

7,081 posts, read 24,538,694 times
Quote:
I have a vet, I just wanted to find out if some other folks have experienced something similar. Any website suggestions?

He has had some swelling in his leg that went away. That's why I wanted to wait a bit and see what happens. If he did have cancer though, I don't think I would treat it.

You'd rather see your dog DIE? I am stunned. Mast cell tumors are VERY treatable!!!!

PLEASE see a vet, you cannot diagnose him from a website. If your dog DOES have a mast cell tumor, either treat it or surrender him to a rescue.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:30 PM

12,397 posts, read 12,431,785 times
Quote:
but he mostly wants walks, treats or to play.
Isn't that what most dogs want? Isn't that normal?

Quote:
Imagine this. You're on the floor petting and kissing your dog and you think you're really bonding. You're feeling that human-dog love bond. Your dog abruptly and unexpectedly gets up and walks into another room. You're feeling used and abused. LOL. Thats my wonderful boy.
I wonder if that's the dog's way of saying, "OK, that was fun, but I've had enough." He has no other way of telling you. At least he's not biting you when he's had enough. I know that when I'm being showered with affection (be it from my husband or my dog), there comes a point where I've had enough. I can tell my husband but with my dog, I have to turn away. Maybe this is your dog's way of telling you? I wouldn't take it as an insult.

Do the right thing -- take your dog to the vet. He may be in pain.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:46 AM

I think everyone is overreacting. If only humans would get so upset about other humans, the world would be a better place.

That being said, I think the lump/skin tag or whatever it is does appear to be drying up and falling off. Perhaps it was just a bump or sore of some sort. It looks and feels much better today. And he never was acting like he was in any distress. That's exactly why I was trying to collect some information first.

And people on this website shouldn't tell people what to do with their dogs concerning whether or not to get illnesses treated and telling them to surrender their dog. That's a personal decision. My doggie is very well taken care of and I would never let him suffer in any way nor would I ever surrender him to anyone. Now that (surrendering) would be traumatic for him.

I would miss my dog if something happened to him or if I had to put him down if he got sick. But I also know that there are millions and zillions of dogs and cats who need a good loving home, who have to be euthanized cause there aren't enough good homes to go around. And I know I'll fall in love with the next dog I have too and more than likely he'll be a better match for me.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:27 PM

3,068 posts, read 5,304,727 times
Quote:
I think everyone is overreacting. If only humans would get so upset about other humans, the world would be a better place.

That being said, I think the lump/skin tag or whatever it is does appear to be drying up and falling off. Perhaps it was just a bump or sore of some sort. It looks and feels much better today. And he never was acting like he was in any distress. That's exactly why I was trying to collect some information first.

And people on this website shouldn't tell people what to do with their dogs concerning whether or not to get illnesses treated and telling them to surrender their dog. That's a personal decision. My doggie is very well taken care of and I would never let him suffer in any way nor would I ever surrender him to anyone. Now that (surrendering) would be traumatic for him.

I would miss my dog if something happened to him or if I had to put him down if he got sick. But I also know that there are millions and zillions of dogs and cats who need a good loving home, who have to be euthanized cause there aren't enough good homes to go around. And I know I'll fall in love with the next dog I have too and more than likely he'll be a better match for me.
You asked for opinions and you got them. If you do not want to hear "take your dog to the vet", then do not ask these questions.

You say you love your dog, and don't want him to suffer, only your VET can determine if he is suffering. Not taking him for treatment, or at least an opinion, is a form of suffering.

We all love our dogs and want the best for them. I am sure all of us have spent alot of money for things that weren't that serious in the end. But it eased our mind.

I am sorry but if you cannot afford a vet, then you really can't afford a pet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs