U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 11:05 AM

211 posts, read 852,533 times

Advertisements

We recently rescued a pit bull/pug/beagle (they think) mix from a shelter. She is about 13 months old and loves to chew. We are crating her during the day and they recommended a kong or a bone in the crate with her. I'll get her the extreme kong since she is a chewer but anyone have any idea what kind of bone we can leave her with? I'm afaid of it splintering or her breaking off a piece and choking. She is about 30 lbs. Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 11:11 AM

3,593 posts, read 10,693,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd771 View Post
We recently rescued a pit bull/pug/beagle (they think) mix from a shelter. She is about 13 months old and loves to chew. We are crating her during the day and they recommended a kong or a bone in the crate with her. I'll get her the extreme kong since she is a chewer but anyone have any idea what kind of bone we can leave her with? I'm afaid of it splintering or her breaking off a piece and choking. She is about 30 lbs. Thank you for your help.
A smaller kong would be your best bet. Stuff it with a mixture of kibble and peanut butter and then freeze it before you give it to her. It will give her hours of activity working the bits and pieces out. It worked like a charm for us. I personally have never found a bone or chew I would leave with my dogs unsupervised. Its too easy for them to choke on pieces they have chewed off

Old 11-13-2008, 06:34 PM

18 posts, read 49,072 times
I leave pretty much every type of bone with my dog when I'm not there. Granted, he doesn't chew on them while I'm gone; he's too busy sleeping when I'm not home. So i never have to worry about them splintering on him.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:44 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,368,073 times
I agree not to leave any type of bone of chew if you're not there to supervise. Also, don't buy anything made in China!!!!!! I wish we could boycott buying from them altogether.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:12 PM

6,764 posts, read 19,772,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
A smaller kong would be your best bet. Stuff it with a mixture of kibble and peanut butter and then freeze it before you give it to her. It will give her hours of activity working the bits and pieces out. It worked like a charm for us. I personally have never found a bone or chew I would leave with my dogs unsupervised. Its too easy for them to choke on pieces they have chewed off
I agree. I give raw hide to my dog only when I am home (yes I know, but she likes them and I can't afford big bones that she gobbles in 2 seconds at $3 a pop).

Old 11-14-2008, 02:16 PM

211 posts, read 852,533 times
Thank you for your help. Just wondering what you would put in the crate with her if anything. She is a pretty agressive chewed. She chewed up our other dogs (small dog) red kong pretty quickly. It was a small. I was hoping a large extreme kong would work with her.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:50 PM

260 posts, read 502,407 times
i would recommend nylabones. these are the 2 kinds that we give our pitbulls-Galileo Bones & Nylabone Double Action Chews.

he is a very agressive chewer and they seem to last the longest. if you go to dog.com they have them for very low prices. i would never give a dog rawhide. not only can it have parasites & chemicals that can harm the dog, pit's tend to rip off big chunks & can very easily choke on them. besides, our pit is a vegertarian like my wife & i are!

Old 11-14-2008, 03:04 PM

692 posts, read 3,587,260 times
Nylabone makes awesome bones and they're a hit with my dogs and most of the ones I know. Kong and Orbee-Tuff are two more brands of really good dog toys.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:11 PM

13,325 posts, read 25,586,246 times
Nylabones are great if she likes them. My dogs have always turned their noses up at nylabones.
My dogs have always liked choo hooves. They are hard to chew on and last quite a while. I get the smoked ones because they smell kind of rancid otherwise. They are real cow hooves from slaughterhouses. I buy them in 10-pound boxes from different online retailer- JB Wholesale, Drs. Foster & Smith, Etc.
A tip- once the dog has chewed on it some, it dries out and loses its appeal. Put chewed hooves in a bowl of warm water and they perk right up.
Your pooch sounds very cute and lively!

Old 11-14-2008, 03:22 PM

8,062 posts, read 16,223,428 times
Yep, I second the suggestion of cow hooves. My Weimaraner is a really hard chewer and even she can't break off pieces from the hooves for a very, very long time. I just buy the regular ones at PetSmart -- they're 99 cents each.

For a softer, safe chew, I've given them Buda Velvet bones. They're basically made of gelatin and corn starch so it's no problem if the dogs eat chunks of them. My bulldog LOVED them. They come in a couple of sizes and several flavors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs