U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 06:06 PM

290 posts, read 565,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
I'm curious as to how do you know which dog your getting? How do you know which ones are going to grow up acting more lab or poodle?

All the standard poodles I have been around, well most, are very intelligent and nothing like their little yappy cousins. And they may not shed but they are still fairly high maintenance as far as grooming.
Good question.

I'd like to know too... anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 10:27 AM

3 posts, read 13,258 times
I appreciate your replies to my post. We got our Labradoodle as an older puppy from a rescue. It is a "cutesy name", but it's the name that they are officially known by, internationally. It was coined by the Australian breeder who originally bred them for service dogs for those with allergies. I prefer the name Labradoodle over Labrador-Poo : ). If you read my post carefully, you would notice that I wrote that Standard Poodles are not yappy as well. My dog acts more like a Labrador Retriever, but has a cute poodle face. She's a good one. We like her.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:39 AM

4,355 posts, read 5,281,482 times
Default What age does a dog stop chewing?

What age do labradoodles stop chewing everything?

Last edited by NYTom; 05-13-2015 at 07:45 AM..

Old 05-13-2015, 12:32 PM

1,961 posts, read 1,573,302 times
If you are considering a Doodle, please do an Advanced Search on C-D using the search word "doodle" and select the Pets-Dogs forum. You will find many posts both pro and con. Read all the threads...a thread subject may seem unrelated but veered off subject so could have useful information. Always wise to make an informed decision.

Here is that search for you: http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=17491630

If you are looking for a hypoallergenic, non-shedding dog the Doodle is not a guarantee. Some don't shed. Some do shed. Some are hypoallergenic and some not so much. Allergenic status is also dependent on you...some people have allergic reactions to hypoallergenic dogs.

If you need a dog that doesn't shed get a Poodle. Or adopt a Doodle from Doodle rescue...they should be able to tell you if the individual dog sheds or not.

If you need a dog with a great temperament do the research necessary to find an outstanding breeder of the breed you like be it Golden or Lab or whatever. Or you can get a Doodle. There prolly are some responsible Doodle breeders who research their Poodle and Lab or Golden (or whatever) lines thoroughly (sire/dam/grandparents/great grandparents and all litters produced) for health and temperament, do all the genetic screenings for both breeds, properly socialize and neural stimulate their puppies...all stuff required for the best chance of a great temperament. But why pay the huge price for a Doodle if what you truly desire is a great temperament?

Doodle puppies are generally more expensive than purebred puppies from even the most outstanding breeders.

You can find Doodles with great temperaments and some of them won't shed. But you won't know that until your dog loses their puppy coat in favor of their adult coat. Do you really wanna spend an exorbitant price for a puppy who ends up shedding? And who also requires expensive grooming? That's the worst of both worlds.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw
I'm curious as to how do you know which dog your getting? How do you know which ones are going to grow up acting more lab or poodle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia farm girl View Post
Good question.

I'd like to know too... anyone?
You may find some answers to that question in the search I linked for you.

Bottom line...you don't. Unless you get your Doodle puppy from an outstanding breeder with many years of experience evaluating puppy temperament in many different litters and then watching those puppies grow up in order to validate the assessments. Such a Doodle breeder is hard to find.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Ask a Lab forum. Or Google Lab rescue sites...they often have informative FAQs. Labs are very mouth-oriented by instinct. As are most soft-mouthed retriever breeds.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:30 PM

11,856 posts, read 15,500,183 times
My friend has a labradoodle, Vinnie. The dog had twisted stomach and they had to attach the stomach up around the rib cage.

He also thought the dog would be a good hunting companion. He is not. No field sense or prey drive. He actually goofed up my German Shorthairs by 'playing' too much when they were trying to work a field. Made my dog get too competitive and my boy started bumping birds instead of pointing. Had to separate the two for an entire day to get my dog back in the groove.

As far as hunting goes, based on what I've seen, I'd pass on the breed. As far as health- I'd need to research more about them to see if they are prone to twisted stomach.

Last edited by Threerun; 05-13-2015 at 08:40 PM..

Old 05-14-2015, 12:46 AM

1,056 posts, read 968,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
My friend has a labradoodle, Vinnie. The dog had twisted stomach and they had to attach the stomach up around the rib cage.

He also thought the dog would be a good hunting companion. He is not. No field sense or prey drive. He actually goofed up my German Shorthairs by 'playing' too much when they were trying to work a field. Made my dog get too competitive and my boy started bumping birds instead of pointing. Had to separate the two for an entire day to get my dog back in the groove.

As far as hunting goes, based on what I've seen, I'd pass on the breed. As far as health- I'd need to research more about them to see if they are prone to twisted stomach.
It's doubtful anyone would manage to find a Doodle that has much field sense or prey drive. No decent breeder would ever sell a quality hunting dog to a doodle breeder so doodle breeders are using pet quality average dogs in their breeding lines for both the Lab/Golden and the Poodle. Pet quality dogs tend to have little to no prey drive/hunting instinct. I've met plenty of people just in my neighborhood with dogs they swear are pure-bred retrievers/doodles who have so little instinct that they won't even retrieve a tennis ball. It is a night and day difference between your average pet lab/golden/doodle and a quality hunting dog in terms of intelligence, retrieving ability, train-ability, and instinct.

This is the problem in general with all these designer breeds - no self-respecting breeder would ever knowingly sell a dog from good genetic lines to a designer dog breeder so the vast majority of the designer dogs out there have been bred from very average to low quality pure-breeds. When you breed very average dogs together for long enough the quality of your dogs will go down over time. Even if you only want a pet and not a show dog, you still want a dog that comes from parents proven to be high quality examples of their breed and that have undergone genetic testing. This gives you the best odds of never having to deal with fun issues such as hip dysplasia or progressive retinal atrophy.

The vast majority of designer dog puppy buyers are getting dogs that are more prone to genetic diseases, behavior problems and health issues, but they're paying the same price or more than people buying dogs from proven healthy championship lines. Not to mention that with a designer dog it's a total crap-shoot what the adult dog will look like, what size it will be, how it will behave, and whether it will shed or need frequent grooming.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:53 AM

1,056 posts, read 968,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
I heard the adage somewhere with regards to Labs - chew til two, shed til dead. So this would likely apply to doodles as well. In my experience, the chew til two part is right, and I have no doubt the shedding part is also.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:42 AM

4,355 posts, read 5,281,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
I heard the adage somewhere with regards to Labs - chew til two, shed til dead. So this would likely apply to doodles as well. In my experience, the chew til two part is right, and I have no doubt the shedding part is also.

Damn! seven months to go. She's a bad chewer, worst I ever had: furniture, bedding, rugs.
My other dogs just chew little things, like slippers, gloves etc. This girl is a beast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or