Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 08:25 PM

692 posts, read 3,855,115 times

Advertisements

Today I went out and helped Angie again with the animals. I saw quite a few new dogs and got to know the first bunch better. A few like Mechette, let me get closer to them. Sam took a cookie from me which was pretty big. I know most of the people reading this will probably think that sounds funny “a dog finally took a cookie from me” but for these guys and me it’s a huge step towards trusting each other. That means a lot to me.

All of these dogs have houses, food, water, they’re neutered and utd on shots because of (A). I hope I’m able to go out and help her again really soon.

I’ll try to go in order of who we saw first.
Buddy was there again, of course, and ready for his breakfast. I have to call around and send out emails to get him into a foster home. He almost got hit by a car today and there wasn’t much I could do about it. He HAS to be placed or he’s sure to die on the street within a short amount of time.

I was holding onto his treats and he couldn’t help but lick his lips. He wanted his cookies soo bad lol

I think the hardest part today (there were a few) but the worst was seeing mama and her puppies. Now they are well fed and plump, but they are only 2 weeks old and out in the 30 degree weather. I was so upset when I went over to tell them hi and give mama and the male dog (I’m thinking daddy) cookies.

Chihuahua is coming around too. He got a little closer, but I need to get him up on the site now too. He’s still living outside and it’s getting to cold for anyone to just be running the streets.

And I couldn’t forget about Sam. He’s getting up there in age, but he still comes out for his snacks. He’s such a big bear of a doggy.

A lot of these guys I posted this past Monday when I went out, but this one totally breaks my heart. He is only about 2 years old, but he’s unable to really walk around. Most likely he’s dying a painful death from Heartworms. We weren’t sure if he’d be ok with me there so I stayed outside the fence, but when I called him he came hobbling along and gave me kisses. I’m thinking next time I’ll go inside and see how he does. He’s such a sweet natured boy; I wish we could help him, but he’s too far gone.

Mechette as I said wasn’t sure about me at first, but he’s warming up and starting to like me. I have to learn how he likes his food and bed though. Then he might love me. Lol

“yawn. Can you get that shiny box outta my face?”

Ace; old man with a heart of gold!

We went to a house to check out a cat for a family. Turns out the cat has an infected foot, but he'll be ok after (A) takes him to the vet. When we got there; two pits and a cocker spaniel were out back. They were all happy after they got their doggy houses!

The Cocker spaniel that lives with the two dogs above.

At the house Moses lives at there is a little white, female pit puppy that I’m currently trying to place in a foster home. She is being kept chained outside in the back yard with not attention what so ever and that was so clear when I went to say hi. At the end of the day once everyone was fed we went back out to take dog houses out and to put hay in the houses so they wouldn’t be cold. I got to take the hay out to Diamond and she went nuts.

Her giving me the most pitiful face she could possibly come up with.

Whitey, a fluffy dog, that when bathed is actually white.. imagine that. My hands were black after petting her. She is being taken to be groomed tomorrow so hopefully I can get after pictures too.

One of the houses we went to put hay at had two dogs. One was a male pit and he was so aggressive, but I don’t think he is actually “mean”. He has no clue who we are beside the few times he’s seen (A) and I’m completely new. So while I kept his attention (A) took his house and put hay in it. When we circled around he was laying in there all comfy and happy.

Another rottie, and an absolute sweaty pie.

Two more pits that got hay..

His poor tail

But he loved his dog house

And look at this handsome boy. Is he not gorgeous?

This boy lives with him and he’s being neutered tomorrow

And this one also lives there

Then at a different house there were two little girls, I clipped their nails and they got new dog houses.

And last is the shih tzu I have been talking about. (A) just got him and he’s 4years old. Not as cute as Teddie, but he’s pretty darn cute!

** Thats all for today** Thanks for checking these babies out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 11:25 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,402,183 times
I presume these are not at the rescue but you are visiting people to help them with their dogs ? Its late and I am tired so I hope I am right hehe. You do a good job. Some great looking dogs there. I cant understand chaining a dog up and leaving it outside at all, never will.

If I had the time I would take this dog in a heartbeat as a playmate for Dakota.

Great smile on this dog too.

I had contemplated buying the igloo house for Dakota for the rare occasions that he is out. Are they as warm as they say they are ? Are they still pretty expensive ?

Old 11-17-2008, 04:35 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times
THank you for posting and for your work.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:45 AM

18,116 posts, read 11,748,386 times
(teary eyed here) I look at the dog's eyes and just want to hold them to protect them.
I'm the one who would go to the animal shelters, open all four car doors and cut the chains.

Thank you for all you do for the pets.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:17 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,307,271 times
I don't get this. Who and where are these doggies? Do they have owners or are they being looked after until adopted. Why are some of them sleeping out in the cold? Like I said I don't know the story.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:28 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,532,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I don't get this. Who and where are these doggies? Do they have owners or are they being looked after until adopted. Why are some of them sleeping out in the cold? Like I said I don't know the story.
For the hx read this previous thread When There Isn't Enough Love To Go Around; Go Find It

Old 11-17-2008, 06:34 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,532,619 times
Teddie...does Angie get a discount on her dog houses?? I'm sure she pays for most everything out of her own pocket, but does she have any other financial contributers?

Dogs are just like people...we all just want a place (house) to call our own. It's basic psychology, whether human or animal. Read Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow&...epresentations. Those dog houses you all provided them gives them much more than just a warm night's sleep.

If and when you get some time, you out to contact the media about her...it's a feel good story and people need to read stories about kindness in the paper...not constant depressing material. What Angie is doing could be seen as sad, but she is being proactive and making a difference. What a lovely person she, you and many others are to our world for putting the needs of others first.

Last edited by Amazonchix; 11-17-2008 at 06:43 AM..

Old 11-17-2008, 12:16 PM

692 posts, read 3,855,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I presume these are not at the rescue but you are visiting people to help them with their dogs ? Its late and I am tired so I hope I am right hehe. You do a good job. Some great looking dogs there. I cant understand chaining a dog up and leaving it outside at all, never will.

If I had the time I would take this dog in a heartbeat as a playmate for Dakota.

I had contemplated buying the igloo house for Dakota for the rare occasions that he is out. Are they as warm as they say they are ? Are they still pretty expensive ?
Correct; these dogs are not with any rescue, but either living on the street of living chained in these peoples backyards. You know I was so happy to see them smiling and jumping for joy when the dog houses came, the food arrived, and they were getting belly rubs, but when I got back home and looked at my own dogs I just fell apart. Everyone here was knocked out on their pillows, had fully stomachs, and not a worry in the world. Yet these guys were still out there in the freezing wind.

The dog houses keep them warmer than you would think. You want them to face away from the wind, that way if it blows it can't go inside the dog house. We put hay in the houses to keep them even more warm and that seems to do the trick. When you put in pillows and blankets they either chew them up lol or eat them.. These days you can find them for a pretty good price too. I mean they're not cheap, but if you look around a few places you'll see the difference in price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
THank you for posting and for your work.
Thank you Bright. However I can't take much credit; I've only been out there twice. She has been out there every single day for the last 15 years. But I've already talked to her about when I'm off next. I'll have most of Thanksgiving weekend off so I'm in hopes of being able to go out as much as I can to help her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
(teary eyed here) I look at the dog's eyes and just want to hold them to protect them.
I'm the one who would go to the animal shelters, open all four car doors and cut the chains.

Thank you for all you do for the pets.
You're not the only one. I almost slipped and popped a few of they're chains.... But I sure as heck can't take them (Or I'd have all of them) and (A) can't take any more in. So then they are left to either be picked up by AC or killed on the street. At least this way they ARE getting fed, they have a bed, and they get affection from Angie every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
Teddie...does Angie get a discount on her dog houses?? I'm sure she pays for most everything out of her own pocket, but does she have any other financial contributers?

Dogs are just like people...we all just want a place (house) to call our own. It's basic psychology, whether human or animal. Read Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs Maslow's hierarchy of needs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Those dog houses you all provided them gives them much more than just a warm night's sleep.

If and when you get some time, you out to contact the media about her...it's a feel good story and people need to read stories about kindness in the paper...not constant depressing material. What Angie is doing could be seen as sad, but she is being proactive and making a difference. What a lovely person she, you and many others are to our world for putting the needs of others first.
Believe it or not she has been in the media, but donations have come to a hault and she is coming out of pocket for most ($100 worth of food only lasts for two days). Thankfully the dog houses were donated and the hay was donated. Which is huge, but food is the BIGGEST concern and it's getting harder and harder to buy it each time.

Any type of donation at this point is needed. We have to still be able to buy these guys food. Ya know?

Thank you EVERYONE for taking the time out to look at all of these great animals.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:43 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times
Could you send me info about how to help a bit with the finances?

Old 11-17-2008, 04:56 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,319,705 times
Okay. I want the shih tzu, and the shaggy white one, and at least one of the old rotties... and I just don't have all the room I need! Nothing against the pits, they look good too, but my homeowners insurance would cancel me in a heartbeat. I could claim that the rotties were a lab/hound and get away with it - maybe - but the pits just look like what they are.

And I know exactly what you mean about coming home to your own happy, well-fed dogs. I can look behind me and see my 3 laying sprawled out on my bed right now. I used to haunt the shelter, until I finally realized I couldn't save them all, I used to look on Petfinder and HUA and various local rescues, but I couldn't save them, either. I had a friend who was a dog trainer who used to go to some of the shelters near her, teaching some basic commands and manners to some of the adult dogs to give them a better chance of being adopted, but she said she just got burned out - they were all so sad when she left, and she just couldn't take them all home. I think anyone who works with rescue animals experiences an even greater and faster burn out rate than people working in social services or drug/alcohol treatment centers.

Last edited by karibear; 11-17-2008 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs