U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 01:55 PM

2,766 posts, read 4,989,524 times

Advertisements

I will be getting a yorkie in three weeks. She will then be ready to come home. I have a 12 year old mini doxie, 5 year old mini schnauzer and a 4 year old papilion. They all get a long well and all are females. The Yorkie is also a female.
I could read a book on them but i find it better to learn first hand from yorkie owners what i need to know. Any info would be helpfull.
I have her picture in my 2nd album under no name.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 03:06 PM

8,062 posts, read 16,214,207 times
How big is she??? If she is teeny-tiny, then there are some health issues you'll have to keep tabs on. The first is hypoglycemia. Tiny Yorkies can have a problem with this and it can be a problem. I believe they sell a tube of some sort of paste-like supplement you can give the pup if the blood sugar falls. Do look into that.

Liver shunt is another issue with Yorkies. Make sure you take her to the vet within a few days after you get her and make sure she's healthy. Keep tabs on it, though, because it can take some months for liver shunt to show up.

Give special care to her bones and joints. If she's tiny, she will be rather fragile. They're energetic dogs and can quickly leap from your arms if you're holding them while standing up. Don't let it happen!!!! Always monitor her play with your other dogs, too. Broken bones and dislocated joints can happen.

Despite that, remember that she's a terrier and she will think she can run with the big dogs! I have a Silky terrier (about 12 pounds, bigger dog, half-Yorkie, half-Australian terrier) and I call him Tenacious T, LOL. When a stray Rottweiler attacked my collie, my Weimaraner ran away from it but my Silky desperately wanted a go at the Rottie! I know Yorkies have been made into purse puppies but that's not their nature -- they were bred to hunt rats! They love to play, hunt, dig, and have lots of energy. They can be taught tricks fairly easily and are real characters.

I love my Silky and would have another or a Yorkie in a heartbeat. I love the energy, tenacity, and spirit. I hope your new pup fits into your family great and you enjoy her immensely!

Old 11-17-2008, 03:36 PM

Thanks tea time. My Papillion is 5 lbs and when we got her the vet gave me that tube just in case. I still give her extra fd to keep her weight up and she is also a runner. Out runs the schnauzer all the time. She was born with a birth defect which we thought was patalla turned out to be two bones attached to her back bone were not side by side but one was higher then the other so she is on pain meds when needed. She has no idea that she shouldn't run that fast. These little ones have no fear.

I want to crate train the new pup the others are except the doxie since she had a major problem with the crate and we tried all sizes.Will that be a problem?

Old 11-17-2008, 04:30 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,490,919 times
When she is older, I'd say about 3 years old, keep an eye on her teeth and gums. Get them cleaned as they are
susceptible to receding gums which will lead to them losing their teeth.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
When she is older, I'd say about 3 years old, keep an eye on her teeth and gums. Get them cleaned as they are
susceptible to receding gums which will lead to them losing their teeth.
That I will take note of. I brush my other dogs teeth and even so My schnauzer got an infection in her front upper gums last year..
Thank you

Old 11-17-2008, 07:22 PM

8,062 posts, read 16,214,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
Thanks tea time. My Papillion is 5 lbs and when we got her the vet gave me that tube just in case. I still give her extra fd to keep her weight up and she is also a runner. Out runs the schnauzer all the time. She was born with a birth defect which we thought was patalla turned out to be two bones attached to her back bone were not side by side but one was higher then the other so she is on pain meds when needed. She has no idea that she shouldn't run that fast. These little ones have no fear.

I want to crate train the new pup the others are except the doxie since she had a major problem with the crate and we tried all sizes.Will that be a problem?
If all of the others are crated, it likely won't be a problem. I can't offer any advice on that because I've never crated. Well, that's not exactly true -- I tried with my collie and my Weimaraner but couldn't find any style of crate that would contain them when they REALLY wanted out! Heh, they would have needed something that had honest-to-goodness jail bars!

The kids all sleep in my room. The Weim. and collie have dog beds on the floor and the Silky sleeps on my bed.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
If all of the others are crated, it likely won't be a problem. I can't offer any advice on that because I've never crated. Well, that's not exactly true -- I tried with my collie and my Weimaraner but couldn't find any style of crate that would contain them when they REALLY wanted out! Heh, they would have needed something that had honest-to-goodness jail bars!

The kids all sleep in my room. The Weim. and collie have dog beds on the floor and the Silky sleeps on my bed.
All three of ours sleep with us but I was hoping to crate the yorkie at night also. The two of ours that have crates use them when we go out but also use them as a safe place or to be left alone. We use to have a pom that prefered to also sleep in her crate also. I will have to crate the yorkie like our other two like I said before the doxie hated the crate and I was afraid she would harm her self since when we would get home the whole crate was wet from her trying to get out of it from chewing and licking it. I will get a baby kong and put peanutbutter in it like the other two and go from there. Also the gate goes up again until she is sort of trained like I did with the other two. I hope this all goes well. All of our furbabies are so sweet but so different.Love them so much.I justwant to do this right.I have never had 4 dogs at once.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:21 AM

2,520 posts, read 5,360,407 times
When I add a new pup, I send the breeder a baby blanket to rub the puppy down with. She mails it back to me and I put it in the pup's new crate and let my dogs smell it. It gives them a heads up to the new arrival.
Attached Thumbnails
what I need to know about a yorkie?-100_3383.jpg  

Old 11-18-2008, 08:24 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,906,848 times
I have a yorkie male who is 5 yo, who is laying in my lap right now as I try to type. They are wonderful little dogs but they do not know they are little. Mine tries to boss the bigger dogs who usually ignore him. They do have a propensity to have joint problems. They can be hard to potty train too. I never crate trained mine but if you start early then your chances are better at success.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
When I add a new pup, I send the breeder a baby blanket to rub the puppy down with. She mails it back to me and I put it in the pup's new crate and let my dogs smell it. It gives them a heads up to the new arrival.

What a great idea. When I visit her this weekend I will have her do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs