Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 6,822 times

Advertisements

Yes, I have a male Shih Tzu bichon mix that I paid $1200 for this past February. They are protective and good house dogs. When we go to bed for the night, he stays downstairs and roam the house. He's very playful. When the kids come in from school he gets very excited. They love to jump on people and can jump very high, eventhough their legs are short. I keep mine cut short because his hair grows extremely fast. He loves to lye in the grass, and he can eat a great deal of food. Alfie is about 20lbs and he's 9 months old. Hope this helpsMod cut: see TOS.

Last edited by Viralmd; 09-18-2009 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: See TOS: It is NOT recommended that you provide Email information! They can DM you instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 07:21 PM

365 posts, read 1,217,021 times
We adopted a Zichon (and yes, they have been bred enough that they will be recognized as a breed next year with Zichon being the official name - so mutt no more - afterall, ALL animals stemmed from other types for anyone who knows anything about science and evolution). Ours is 10 months old, not neutered male, and is absolutely EASY GOING! Our 2 year old tackles him and he is so good, he never bites, just licks. These are not fragile dogs like most small breeds and he will play for an hour with the kids running and LOVES fetch and then will curl up by my feet and snuggle up. This breed's ability to go from play to calm in seconds AMAZES me! They're protective of their owners, especially mommy, and are not protective of their food, beds, or toys. They are very smart and learn commands quickly (in less than 2 weeks ours has learned sit and stay) but they love to run and don't always come when told to because they are having so much fun (just like teenagers). We are having a bit of humping issues with soft blankets, but that can happen with any male - I've even seen it in females before actually - fixed or not. They will get into food if they can, as they only eat 1 cup of food per day...and they are ALWAYS willing to down more (but shouldn't to maintain healthy weight). Hmmm...what else can I tell you? Daily brushing is needed, as well as baths because they love mud - but they LOVE baths too! Sensitive skin so you need to use all natural shampoos on them or they turn pink and get rashes. They also do best on a lamb/rice diet. This breed is BETTER than any purebred I've ever seen and worth it's weight in gold...why pay for an inbred when you can rescue one of these darling perfect mixtures :-)

Old 05-07-2010, 03:48 PM

1 posts, read 6,325 times
i have this mutt. its small. great with kids and hard to housebreak. very energetic at times and bark sometimes

Old 05-07-2010, 06:50 PM

687 posts, read 1,113,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
mutt.......... LOVE IT! Especially as the owner of a "mutt". Actually TWO "mutts". One is a Chihuahua (mom was full blood and the dad was Chi and something else). The other is what some are calling the "Designer Breed" - URGH! A "puggle" - Pug + Beagle. I can tell you that when we first saw one we asked what it was as it was the cutest thing. So I looked and looked and looked. THEY ALL LOOK DIFFERENT! No 2 were exactly alike AT ALL! They had a mix of something in them and that was it. The one we ended up getting did not cost a fortune (free) and has been very good but if you looked at him you'd say, hound mix mutt. No one would say this dog is 1/2 Pug nor get it confused w/ ANY part of a Pug. I always laugh when I see these "Designer Breed" dogs going for well over $2K and it says, "papers" or "registered". REGISTERED WITH WHAT?!?!?!?!

Anyway, to the OP. I've had both (2) Shih Tzu and (2) Bichon. Both breeds are great dogs. Somewhat similiar personalities with the Bichons probably the most outgoing. The Bichons also being the most vocal and also most apt to take off and run if given the chance. Chased one down the alley w/ a towel on my head after getting out of the shower - dang dog. Both are lap dogs BIG TIME! The 2 Shih Tzu's had different personalities w/ one being VERY SHY and would hide if ANYONE came to visit and the other a bit more outgoing. The 2 Bichon's were also different but similiar.

Good luck and whatever you do.......... don't spend a fortune on one. There are some GREAT dogs out there that are free or need homes really bad.

Oh, here is another "Designer Breed" I heard about the other day: Standard Poodle and Golden Retriever. WHAT the heck does THAT dog look like?
It's called a Golden Doodle and they are really cute. About the size of a standard poodle with wavy golden hair. Very smart too.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:01 PM

57 posts, read 315,009 times
I had one- I personally could not handle it as a college student.

Very clingy, hyperactive and loving. They don't get big and love children. The house I gave him up to has two little girls, who he sleeps with, and adores. They don't get very big, pretty small breed all of their lives.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:59 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,806,665 times
All modern breeds were brought about my mixing of the breeds.

Boxers are mixes of the Bullenbeiser and the Bulldog (with a dash of great dane and some other stuff thrown in for good measure)

There is evidence that the Shih tzu is a result of a cross between a Lhasa Apso and a pekingese

The Pekingnese themselves came from pugs.

The Boston Terrier is a mix between the old Bull and Terrier dogs back crossed to english and french bulldogs.

anyway my point is that it is stupid to say that the new mixes are mutts and that they will never have their own characteristics. People have been introducing desirable characteristics into target breeds for thousands of years. The golden Doodles for example was created to exploit the good behavior of the golden retrievers with the hypoallergenic nature of poodles.

perform a cross for several generations and the offspring gradually becomes true breeding. These designer dogs are nothing special. They are no more designed than any other breed, and pretty soon they will be recognized as their own breed.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:18 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,358,472 times
It's true lots of breeds began as crosses, but it takes time and responsible breeding of dogs that really represent the characteristics you're breeding for. Backyard breeders don't worry about petty details like that. Breeding a dog with a poodle does not gaurantee a non-shedding dog at all. Breeding 2 random individuals of different breeds doesn't give you a dog with predictable characteristics.

Labradoodle creator has regrets | Newsfeed – Pooch

Old 08-28-2011, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 5,349 times
I have a 7 week old Zuchon and Bandit is very quiet, but we are having problems housetraining him. Of course, we have only had him for 2 days now, so don't be completely turned off. He is very soft and is good with gentle kids. He can NOT stand being alone and follows you everywhere. He doesn't bark much at all, and despite being sleepy at this age, he can be extremely energetic at times. They don't get very big at all, maybe a little bigger than the standard chihuahua. To anybody who calls my precious puppy a 'mutt'...well, I understand that you're fed up with the stupid names breeders give them, but 'mutt' is kind of an offensive term. So maybe tome it down a bit, please?

Hope I helped!

Old 08-28-2011, 11:48 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,358,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsare View Post
I have a 7 week old Zuchon and Bandit is very quiet, but we are having problems housetraining him. Of course, we have only had him for 2 days now, so don't be completely turned off. He is very soft and is good with gentle kids. He can NOT stand being alone and follows you everywhere. He doesn't bark much at all, and despite being sleepy at this age, he can be extremely energetic at times. They don't get very big at all, maybe a little bigger than the standard chihuahua. To anybody who calls my precious puppy a 'mutt'...well, I understand that you're fed up with the stupid names breeders give them, but 'mutt' is kind of an offensive term. So maybe tome it down a bit, please?

Hope I helped!
I have been the proud owner of several mutts in my life. I've only owned one purebred dog and I'm not 100% sure she's not a mutt too. I don't think most of us mean it as an insult at all. We say it to make a point about people who take two random breeds of dogs and think if they make up a fancy name for their puppies, they can justify charging big bucks for them.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:08 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,910,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsare View Post

Hope I helped!
Your dog is a mutt. Nothing wrong with mutts, they make great pets also.

I don't have an issue with the name. My issue is with people that are breeding these dogs without any regards to what issues the parents are passing on to the pups. Not only are the health issues a problem, but so is the genetic makeup of the dog. If it's aggressive it's going to pass that on to the pups. If one dog is a bag of nerves that will be passed on as well. So then you end up with pups that have issues that an owner doesn't want to deal with.

A good breeder is going to breed the best to the best of that breeds standard. When you breed 2 different breeds there is no way to even know what the standard is. The breeder should know the health and temperament of the breeding pairs lines, which means that almost all of their pups are going to be a healthy well rounded dog, which is what I'm guessing is what everyone wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs