Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 05:19 PM

181 posts, read 635,298 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have a serious question that's really been bothering me.

I have been living in the Cayman Islands. Whilst I've been here, I've 'rescued' a pit bull puppy, now 1 1/2 years. Wonderful temperment. This saturday, I will be permanently moving to NJ (nice large house with large garden).

Now, I love my dog, but the problem is I am worried that he will miss the freedom / sea / life of the Cayman Islands. My landlady really wants my dog (she owns a horse stable) and has been telling me that the dog will turn aggressive once I take him to NJ, as he will miss the Caymans and the sea...

I am quite distraught about all this. I love him and want to bring him over.

Do you think he will miss the Caymans?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 05:39 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,930,883 times
He might miss the warm weather but he'll be FINE. That woman is completely wrong. He will NOT become aggressive...I don't know where people get these crazy ideas!!!

Old 11-18-2008, 06:15 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
Dogs aren't as complicated as people think. Their priorities are sustenance, being warm when it's cold (and vice-versa), and pack social interaction (that's you). You love him, he in turn feels his bond to you, end of story. You could move into an old refrigerator box under a bridge in Topeka, he doesn't care.

Just remember to get him a friend if you're going to leave him alone for long periods during the day.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:16 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,399,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gessa View Post
Hi All,

I have a serious question that's really been bothering me.

I have been living in the Cayman Islands. Whilst I've been here, I've 'rescued' a pit bull puppy, now 1 1/2 years. Wonderful temperment. This saturday, I will be permanently moving to NJ (nice large house with large garden).

Now, I love my dog, but the problem is I am worried that he will miss the freedom / sea / life of the Cayman Islands. My landlady really wants my dog (she owns a horse stable) and has been telling me that the dog will turn aggressive once I take him to NJ, as he will miss the Caymans and the sea...

I am quite distraught about all this. I love him and want to bring him over.

Do you think he will miss the Caymans?

Thanks
He'll be just fine. Its YOU he would be miss if you left him behind- not the island. I lived in the Bahamas with my dog for about 4 years. At times I wish I was still there for walks on the beach & the island atmosphere. My Maggie took it all in stride! One thing though. Be sure to check the area in NJ that you are moving too and make sure it isn't one that has a ridiculous law banning Pit Bills.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:46 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,261,142 times
If the two of you are connected by your hearts than that's where he needs to be... with you! I think it's your landlady whose going to be on the testy side as she seems to like him.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:13 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,656,839 times
As long as he is with the one he loves he will adjust, as you will.
He will be fine!

Old 11-19-2008, 07:25 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,532,619 times
Your landlady is improperly informed. Your dog will adjust fine! We took our dogs with us constantly changing their environment, when work required traveling (even up to a month away from home). Honestly, we feel that taking them with us and staying in hotels, apartments, etc. other than the house and the yard they were used to helped them become MORE stable and calm dogs. The diversity of the setting exposed them to more sounds, smells, people, you name it!

Your dog is connected with you and you are his alpha. As long as you are calm and show him the new ways...he will adapt!

Old 11-19-2008, 07:31 AM

973 posts, read 3,303,686 times
I really don't think animals are nearly as complicated as we are. If they were, my animals would have been a neurotic mess.

My pets have moved with me a number of times and once they got past their initial apprehension of being in a new place, they were fine. If you can bring something that is familiar along on the move, like a bed or toy, do so.

Pets can go anywhere as long as they have you there to keep them company.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:39 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,161 times
My dogs have been content everywhere we have lived. Heck, they'd be content living in a tent as long as we were all together.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:42 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,493,007 times
Agreed. In 2007, we moved twice in one year! Tonka took it all in stride... much better than we did, in fact. Until we jokingly put him in a box (with the lid open - we'd never close him in there!). He didn't like that too much but forgot all about it when he heard the treats come out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs