Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 02:51 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,221,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightsons View Post
you people don't get it. he/she said that it won't poop inside but only pee inside! It's not baby/puppy/toddler or whatever contol issue. the dumb pup is trying to mark the house...own the joint. he does on ON PURPOSE!! the question is, how do you break him from that!
There's 4 pages over 4 years explaining how to housebreak the dog - this thread is from 2008! A simple search of this forum will render more information than the OP could possibly ever use, should s/he ever decide to return to the Pets forum. I would imagine in 4 years the problem has resolved itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 03:12 PM

6 posts, read 13,255 times
To Midnightsons:

Yes, dogs need too mark their Territiory. Especially males. It comes from wolves marking precious territoty, that contained their survival: thier food!
Our dogs peed on their doggie bed. We washed it and soon as it was put down, they peeded in it again. All dogs have anal glands. They are as distinctive as a fingerprint. Some of this is released in urination. They are the true catalyst of dogs smelling each others butts. It's actually a social act! Being calm enough, to go smell each other, is like "Hi, how are you, lets see your finger-print odor, here's mine, and I'm calm enough, so I'm not biting you." Social Dog Moray Hello Dance! All the while many embarrassed owners apauled at their animals "un-people" like behavior, try to STOP it! Espeacially if it accidently on purpose crosses over to a People-Dog dance!

Usually, marking is done in much smaller amounts. If you go over and "remove" them, he will only want to re-mark them. Try to leave a "couple" around the corners. Applaud OUTDOOR marking. Longer walks, will help him use his comforting behavior more and apropreiate places as well. Dogs need to get out their energy, in walks, runs, plaing, etc. it's like a two-year-old that's slept all night long and has now to spend the day in a small China-Shop...

A dog, that's disturbed and upset may pee more as well. ie. My dog was in our driveway. A Nieghbor way pulling in; I being afraid, yelled her name (bad too, they associate their name as a negative. Try not to use their name in discipline.) She only ran closer to the car! You see, she thought I was mad at her and only moved closer to the danger..

Calmly hold the dogs skin, on the back of the neck, below the ears, ( it's not needed to be any stronger hold, than you would petting or massaging them, at another time. Pain is not the point nor needed. It's the show of domination. It's how's their mothers picked them up as puppies, she was the alpha!) lightly, say a firm ,"No." This must be done immediately when the unwanted behehavior is done. Dogs are in the moment. You can say no for a PAST behavior. NEVER rub their nose in it. That's an inappropriate, long-handed-down, poor ineffective training method- Resembles abuse more.

Dogs have primal instincts, that drive some of their "un-people-like" behaviors, that we don't always understand. If you question one, search it! Learn where and why it comes from.. Being an CONSITAINT, ALPHA pack-owner, with an emphasis on love and attention to positive behaviors, will bring joy to your newly enlarged family! We also need to remember; a puppy is not going to act like a dog.. They are reverent beautiful beings and a big responsibility. The more time you spend in training, being close to outdoor activities, the more you'll enjoy your amazing doggie.

I believe "spoiling" is NOT training. I haven't seen any evidence of it, from any large amounts of daily Doggie-Lovies!

If a dog-year=7-years, than One Doggie-day=one week! So each and every day, see how their "week" was, was it good!
Just recall.. All they really want to do, is PLEASE YOU...

Last edited by Kgigsup; 09-02-2012 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 09-02-2012, 06:57 PM

13,912 posts, read 39,129,073 times
Male marking IS easy to stop IF Your willing & able! Problem is Most people Dont want to slap a dog anymore they think Bribery will work NOT! When a Male dog is Marking something YOu dont want him to AS his leg goes up You Pop him on the leg & say NO! Works everytime the 1st time! 15 yrs breeding 25 different Male Stud Dogs NOT ONE once corrected in this mater Ever marked ...peed in my house! Nor did they in my friends homes! & they had Male dogs as breeder also!

Old 04-04-2013, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,454 times
This is very helpful information. My roomate has a 2 and a half month old yellow lab and he, too, is peeing all the time inside. He'll pee outside when my roomate walks him but then 20 minutes later, when he's back inside, he'll pee again. It doesn't seem to be territorial but the pattern does seem very haphazard. So encouraging the good behavior is fine. But if scolding when they pee inside is an unproductive negative reinforcement, what should you do? Is it a matter of cleaning the spots thoroughly, encouraging the good behavior and waiting for the good behavior to become permanent? Thanks much.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:20 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,333,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen.morse206 View Post
This is very helpful information. My roomate has a 2 and a half month old yellow lab and he, too, is peeing all the time inside. He'll pee outside when my roomate walks him but then 20 minutes later, when he's back inside, he'll pee again. It doesn't seem to be territorial but the pattern does seem very haphazard. So encouraging the good behavior is fine. But if scolding when they pee inside is an unproductive negative reinforcement, what should you do? Is it a matter of cleaning the spots thoroughly, encouraging the good behavior and waiting for the good behavior to become permanent? Thanks much.
The key is constant supervision so that you can catch every single accident in the act. This way, the accident can be interrupted (just briskly approach the pup clapping your hands and saying no no no no no in a high pitched, urgent, but non-intimidating tone) and then the pup is swiftly taken to his proper potty spot to finish. If he does finish outside, lots of praise and rewards. If he does not, back inside and do not take your eyes off him. Just make sure when you catch him peeing inside, your interruption is not too scary for the pup because that can result in a pup who is afraid to pee in front of humans. These are the dogs that learn to sneak to pee behind furniture when nobody's looking..

Think about it this way: if every single time the dog pees in the house he gets "no no no no no" and is quickly taken outside, and if every single time the dog pees outside he gets "yay! good boy! treats treats treats for you!" which one is the dog going to choose?

The problem comes in when we have accidents go unnoticed. The act of relieving oneself is its own reward (we feel better after, that's why it's called "relieving"). We have to prevent that rewarding experience from taking place by catching the dog the instant he first squats to pee. All you can do about an accident you didn't witness is clean it up with specially formulated enzymatic cleaner and make a note to watch closer next time. (The cleaner is important! Household cleaners can actually intensify the scent, drawing your dog back to pee there again and again. Use Nature's Miracle, Petzyme, or Simple Solution liberally as per directions to eliminate odors.)

Your room mate's pup is a baby. At 10 weeks old, his accidents are to be expected. Be mindful of his eating and drinking schedule, and plan outings accordingly. Frequent trips outside will maximize his chances of success. Reward for every potty outside, catch every accident in the act, and he will catch on quickly. It's the accidents you miss that teach the bad habit of going in the house. So if anyone is to be punished for the accidents - it is whoever was supposed to be watching the pup at that moment.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,381 times
My "puppy" will be three in August. He is a havanese, and pretty smart! He became potty trained pretty quickly with the use of a doggy door that allowed him free access to the fenced back yard. We live in two states during the year, and when we returned to Oregon where we have a high deck over a golf course.....he has access to go outside at any time on the deck.
We also take him on a long walk 4 to 5 times a day. However, he has started to pee in the house...on the floor, on a wall, on furniture, on the area rug, on the bath mat in the bathroom! Help!!!! What happened? Any ideas???

Old 06-30-2013, 12:45 AM

15,701 posts, read 16,971,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAVA-HAVANESE View Post
My "puppy" will be three in August. He is a havanese, and pretty smart! He became potty trained pretty quickly with the use of a doggy door that allowed him free access to the fenced back yard. We live in two states during the year, and when we returned to Oregon where we have a high deck over a golf course.....he has access to go outside at any time on the deck.
We also take him on a long walk 4 to 5 times a day. However, he has started to pee in the house...on the floor, on a wall, on furniture, on the area rug, on the bath mat in the bathroom! Help!!!! What happened? Any ideas???
Has he been neutered? If not, maybe there is a female in heat nearby and he is frustrated.

Regardless, you need to take him to the vet, ASAP.....he could have a urinary tract infection or something else going on.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:06 AM

2 posts, read 4,392 times
My bulldog is seven months and still not fully house trained.....will she ever get there? She urinates about every 45 mins and its a huge puddle.is that normal at that age?

Old 12-26-2013, 10:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,252 times
So what do you do until they're old enough to control it? We just got a German shepherd. He's just 8 weeks. He just stands or plops down when we take him outside. If he does go, it's usually on the concrete. But in the house, he pees on the carpet a lot. I can't take my eyes off him for a second. When he's awake I can't do anything but sit and watch him. Is it better to confine him to an area with hard floors? I'd just love to put a diaper on him until he's old enough to be trained. He's doing well in the crate and can stay in 3-4 hours at night but I don't want to put him in the crate so much during the day.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:47 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,789,371 times
crate, and tether...
crate when you physically cant watch him, tether when you can (tether means connecting him via leash to your waste. take him out every hour, then slowly increase time.
if he has an accidetns its because the human wasn't paying enough attention...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs