U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-01-2008, 07:52 AM
 
Location: High Bridge, NJ
3,858 posts, read 8,374,024 times
Reputation: 3330

Advertisements

My fiancee and I are both dog lovers and both always had dogs as kids. Unfortunately she developed a shorthair dog allergy while she was away at college along with a shellfish allergy. The allergist explained that she had probably always had these allergies and they were very mild, but her prolonged absence from a home with dogs/not eating shellfish combined with natural changes in her body caused her to lose her "immunity." Shorthair dogs still don't bother her a great deal, but she now cannot bear to be around a cat at all. As a result, we are looking for an F1B Labradoodle which is a Labradoodle (hybrid) crossed with a Poodle (purebred) to create a dog that's essentially 75% Poodle and 25% Retriever. Are there any folks with allergies here that have had success with these dogs? We could of course get something smaller, but we both prefer larger dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-01-2008, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,550 posts, read 16,386,697 times
Reputation: 5087
Labradoodles are Mutts not Hybrids :S
Best way to test for allergies is to be around that dog. Try the pound too I am sure there are some there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2008, 09:22 AM
 
Location: High Bridge, NJ
3,858 posts, read 8,374,024 times
Reputation: 3330
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Labradoodles are Mutts not Hybrids :S
Best way to test for allergies is to be around that dog. Try the pound too I am sure there are some there.
Mutt, hybrid, etc...I really don't care. I'm not looking for approval from dog snobs-I'm looking for a dog to be a part of our family. Yeah, I bet that there are plenty of $1500 dogs at the pound. Go back to primping and preening your poor animal and parading it around like some kind of status symbol. We're looking for a companion, not a showpiece. What do you have to say to a blind person who suffers from allergies? "Too bad go walk into traffic?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2008, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Living on 10 acres in Oklahoma
1,188 posts, read 4,962,305 times
Reputation: 1191
Seriously, BadFish???? You better check the attitude at the Pet forum door. Brian is right...that's a mutt. You are just encouraging backyard breeding. Some idiot is going to think this will be the next money maker. Plus, Brian's advice is sound. You will never know (about allergy potential) until you all are around the dog you are interested in.

Last edited by Amazonchix; 12-01-2008 at 09:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2008, 09:57 AM
 
Location: High Bridge, NJ
3,858 posts, read 8,374,024 times
Reputation: 3330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
Seriously, BadFish???? You better check the attitude at the Pet forum door. Brian is right...that's a mutt. You are just encouraging backyard breeding. Some idiot is going to think this will be the next money maker. Plus, Brian's advice is sound. You will never know (about allergy potential) until you all are around the dog you are interested in.
So just to be clear you are against guide dogs for blind people with allergies and family pets for families with allergies because it "encourages backyard breeding?" Is that accurate? Look, I obviously came to the wrong place and should seek out a webforum specific to Labradoodles. As you can see I post quite frequently on the city-data site and enjoy helping people. I've actually gotten a lot of good information/advice from city-data and apparently I was wrong to expect the same from the pet forums. Thanks for nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2008, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Ladysmith,Wisconsin
1,587 posts, read 6,691,992 times
Reputation: 745
Badfish,

Someone was trying to help and point out it would be a mutt, and go to pound check out animals there may find something not allergic to.
Labradoodles shed just like others so not as hypo allergenic as people like to think.
Look at what our future President is looking into as is threads about it or check AKC look for the dogs that be good and then check out a pound or rescue.
Some rescues may let you try the dog see if a allergy will come about.

Slamming someone in the forums is not going to get you the help you are looking for.
I have all purebreds even though 2 are rescues, female was bred for show but that is not what I do. I breed for Search and Rescue and it is all for the nose.
Labradoodle breeders are out to make a quick buck on people thinking they are hybrids or a actual breed than a mutt.
If a blind person was looking for a hypoallergenic dog they would be possiblities out there and am sure there are breeders who breed specifically for that reason.

Good luck in your search whatever you decide to get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2008, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,550 posts, read 16,386,697 times
Reputation: 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Mutt, hybrid, etc...I really don't care. I'm not looking for approval from dog snobs-I'm looking for a dog to be a part of our family. Yeah, I bet that there are plenty of $1500 dogs at the pound. Go back to primping and preening your poor animal and parading it around like some kind of status symbol. We're looking for a companion, not a showpiece. What do you have to say to a blind person who suffers from allergies? "Too bad go walk into traffic?"
Nice attitude mate.
You cant get a Labrador Poodle mix at the pound ? I know of a few that has. Just because a Labradoodle costs $1500 does not mean its a great dog. My dog is not a status symbol but a member of the family who is a permanent fixture on the couch. Companions are free or cheap at the pound, show dogs cost $1500, that is unles the companion is a designer $1500 mutt :S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2008, 10:47 AM
 
Location: High Bridge, NJ
3,858 posts, read 8,374,024 times
Reputation: 3330
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
Someone was trying to help and point out it would be a mutt
Why does that matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
and go to pound check out animals there may find something not allergic to.Labradoodles shed just like others so not as hypo allergenic as people like to think.
I'm aware that some Labradoodles do shed and are more Retriever than Poodle. That's why I asked specifically about the F1B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
Look at what our future President is looking into as is threads about it or check AKC look for the dogs that be good and then check out a pound or rescue. Some rescues may let you try the dog see if a allergy will come about.
I would never bring a dog into our home for a "trial" period as it's not at all fair to the dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
Labradoodle breeders are out to make a quick buck on people thinking they are hybrids or a actual breed than a mutt.
I am a dog person. I love dogs. I had a beagle as a kid, my boss has a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog that she brings into work, etc...I love DOGS-not purebreds. A dog's bloodline means nothing to me. What matters to me is what kind of relationship I can have with it. I want a dog that has an easygoing temperament, good with kids, is fun to play with, and that is watchful. I don't care whether that dog is a mutt or a purebred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
If a blind person was looking for a hypoallergenic dog they would be possiblities out there and am sure there are breeders who breed specifically for that reason.
I have a family member who raises seeing-eye dogs. Labradoodles were bred in order to try to create a hypoallergenic guide dog. Guide dogs need to be a certain size, a certain temperament, etc... Retrievers fill the bill on all accounts with the exception of allergies. I doubt you'll ever see a blind person being guided by a Poodle or a Maltese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
Good luck in your search whatever you decide to get.
All I wanted was some comments from a family with a similar situation to ours. What I got was "it's a mutt" and "you're encouraging backyard breeding." Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2008, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas
1,479 posts, read 7,034,238 times
Reputation: 1908
I doubt that a Lab/Poodle hybrid bred back to a Poodle would be much larger than many Standard Poodles. The predominance of Poodle ancestry would also increase the potential for the dog to be prone to the genetic problems that Poodles are prone to as well as the potential to shed.

I'm curious as to why you have not considered a Standard Poodle. I work in Poodle rescue and we regularly see Standards that are well over 70 lbs, with some as large as 100 lb. Poodles are used by service organizations such as N.E.A.D.S. as well as for guide dogs for allergic people. Poodles are highly intelligent and easily trained. Their grooming needs and cost is the main reason why they are not chosen more often for service dogs. Many people with disabilities cannot afford the maintenance. With an F1B hybrid, the grooming issues would be consistent with those of a purebred Poodle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2008, 01:30 PM
 
Location: High Bridge, NJ
3,858 posts, read 8,374,024 times
Reputation: 3330
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
I doubt that a Lab/Poodle hybrid bred back to a Poodle would be much larger than many Standard Poodles. The predominance of Poodle ancestry would also increase the potential for the dog to be prone to the genetic problems that Poodles are prone to as well as the potential to shed.

I'm curious as to why you have not considered a Standard Poodle. I work in Poodle rescue and we regularly see Standards that are well over 70 lbs, with some as large as 100 lb. Poodles are used by service organizations such as N.E.A.D.S. as well as for guide dogs for allergic people. Poodles are highly intelligent and easily trained. Their grooming needs and cost is the main reason why they are not chosen more often for service dogs. Many people with disabilities cannot afford the maintenance. With an F1B hybrid, the grooming issues would be consistent with those of a purebred Poodle.
Thank you-that's exactly the answer I was looking for. I honestly didn't know that Poodles were trained as service dogs as well-I had always heard that their personalities didn't mesh well with being a guide dog, but some labs don't do well as guide dogs either. Perhaps we will give more consideration to Poodles with this in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top