U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-02-2008, 06:17 PM

200 posts, read 573,173 times

Advertisements

Just curious, I read a couple statements by people on here who claim all pit bulls are bad, won't turn down a fight with another dog, attacks without provocation, can't be trained, etc... I was wondering if you heard these stories so that's what you think or you actually experienced some instance before.

Personally, I believe in punishing the deed instead of the breed.

If I could only have one dog for the rest of my life, it would be a American Pit Bull Terrier. They are the most misunderstood, misrepresented, courageous, hard working, and pleasing dogs ever.

Here's a pic of my girl Diamond

Sorry the picture came up so big, I tried to make it smaller.

Last edited by Keliko; 12-02-2008 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: Big picture

Old 12-02-2008, 06:46 PM

6,758 posts, read 7,176,178 times
Pit bulls are the favorite breed for thugs and irresponsible owners. That is the biggest problem. And because of that problem, media sensationalism fuels the fires.

I will say pit bulls that are not raised properly are probably the most dangerous dog there is. Their strength, determination, and tenacity are not a good thing when they are not socialized and properly cared for.

I personally love pit bulls. I would rather see licensing requirements rather than breed restrictions. But even if the nutcases out there were able to get pit bulls banned everywhere, thugs would turn to dobermans, rottweilers, german shephards, etc to be their "big bad dog".

In general, I think humans have harmed pit bulls FAR more than pit bulls have harmed humans. Out of all of the dogs seized on Michael Vicks property, all but one of the dogs were rehabilitated and socialized to be great pets and working dogs. ALL BUT ONE!!! All the dogs there were trained to be fighting aggressive dogs and only one of them was unable to be retrained. That shows the intelligence and willingness to please that the pit bull breed is famous for.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:55 PM

1,783 posts, read 1,836,305 times
I agree that pit bulls are really super pets. It's the owners who are dangerous, as TXboomerang says. I have known people who own pit bulls and they have all been very gentle animals. Obviously, they were raised properly. And yes, if they were outlawed, the thugs would turn to other breeds. Put the restrictions on the dumb people. If I were going to have a dog, it would be a pit bull or pit bull mix.

PS: That is a great picture!

Old 12-02-2008, 07:03 PM
miu

13,033 posts, read 22,430,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keliko View Post
If I could only have one dog for the rest of my life, it would be a American Pit Bull Terrier. They are the most misunderstood, misrepresented, courageous, hard working, and pleasing dogs ever.
Keliko - I'm really happy that you love your dog so much and have chosen pit bulls as your favorite breed of dog, but they are just not the dog breed for me. I've met several in person, plus one Am. Staff. terrier and they just aren't appealing to me. My boyfriend's best friend's brother has a pit bull mix and we don't like him personaltiy wise. We also don't care for rotties, German shepherds, chows and a whole bunch of large and powerful dogs. One of my best friends has a bull mastiff, and I've never been impressed with him, but as long as she loves him, that's all that's important.

I love my lab mixes for being goofy and sweet. And I'm sure that they aren't as smart as your dog, but that's fine with me. Then I love some small wirehaired terrier mixes, small poodles and pugs. But no Jack Russells or cairn terriers for me, as their enerygy and prey drive is too high and I love my cats. I don't like boxers either.

Otherwise, I just don't find pit bulls very attractive or appealing visually. But that is just my own personal taste.

I was watching the big AKC dog show on Thanksgiving and I am always amazed at the extreme diversity of all the dog breeds out there. Most I would never make an effort to own. But wow at the energy and effort of all the breeders, groomers and dog show people that keep the interest going year after year for their particular favorite breeds!

Old 12-02-2008, 07:07 PM

5,045 posts, read 8,446,980 times
I agree. Punish the deed, not the breed. I volunteer for a dog rescue, where many of our dogs are pitbulls. They are the most loving creatures ever. Usually people that say bad things about them are the people who are uneducated about the breed and just go along with the false media stereotypes. Pitbulls are loyal, wonderful pets and one of the best family dogs out there.

Great picture of your dog! So cute!!

Old 12-02-2008, 07:39 PM

16,585 posts, read 20,518,608 times
I own one, so I'm a bit prejudiced. I love the breed.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:47 PM
miu

13,033 posts, read 22,430,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Pitbulls are loyal, wonderful pets and one of the best family dogs out there.
That may be true (and I'm not disagreeing with you), but there are many dog breeds that would make great family dogs out there. Labs, goldens, rotties, pugs, poodles, Wheaten terriers... just to name very few of them. Actually, many if not most dogs, if raised and trained properly, make great family pets. And no dog should ever be left unsupervised with any young children.

If I had young children and were to get a puppy or young dog for them, I would choose one that was a small dog because I'd feel better about a small rambunctious puppy or dog around my children, than a larger stronger one. If the children were really young, I would pick a pug or small poodle probably, and not even a lab or golden. And this because of my own adult experiences with all the dogs I've owned. I still remember the first year I had my choc. lab mix. He was about two years old and once ran head first into my shin while playing with me. And then we'd tussle on the sofa too. Anyway, personally I feel that smaller young dogs are best as family pets for children and would cause me less worry. And the older (wiser) and bigger the child, the bigger the dog could be. If there are parents that feel differently, that's cool, but I am only stating my own personal thoughts on this.

I was watching some British animal show on Sunday. The situation was a pony nipping a six year old boy. But the real problem was that the boy was acting too noisy and erratically towards the pony. He was actually a very horrible obnoxious little boy that didn't deserve having a pony and... I'm so glad that he's not a member of my family. lol

Old 12-02-2008, 09:45 PM

4,356 posts, read 8,585,636 times
Default Pitbull Advocate!

Pitbulls are great dogs as any other breed when raised with love and affection. Pitbulls as any other breed in the wrong hands will eventually show proof of bad owners! Here goes...you asked for it...my personal opinion of pitbulls!

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z115/mollysgirl2007/PITBULL.jpg (broken link)

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj90/dame_wolf/BSL.gif (broken link)

Last edited by leorah; 12-03-2008 at 04:40 PM..

Old 12-02-2008, 09:59 PM

8,310 posts, read 21,754,443 times
I've only met one pit that I wasn't comfortable around, but that's really more a statement about his owners than him.

I decided I liked pits after a friend's family was adopted by one. Bruno. He was gorgeous and as mellow and sweet as could be. You couldn't trust him around cats, though. He had quite a prey drive and if he caught one he would probably eat it.

I think pits are great dogs but they require responsible owners.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:07 PM

3 posts, read 17,625 times
There are good and bad in every breed. It just so happens I am owned by the cutest, smartest, sweetest pit bull on the planet. I can't see myself having any other breed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs