Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 01:55 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times

Advertisements

LOL...Someone just mentioned my screen name "ShelbyGirL"...she is actually one of my cats.
All our animals have a car related name. My DH is the ultimate car nut and somehow, I convince him, when he gets a new vehicle, I need a new pet!
One of our past Goldens was "Our Chevy Trade" AKA Chevy...for the new Vette he wanted.
His daughter Mia...is "Mia's Vette Assured" for another new Vette he wanted.
Her son Dylan is "Dylan's Lightening strikes twice"...for a Lightening Truck and a BMW he got in the same month.
Cats are Harley (another Harley truck) and Shelby for a Shelby Cobra..Kaci is Kaci's Speedin' GT for a Ford GT and Zoey...Zoey's Z for a BMW Z8
Now the good news is....He has gotten more cars than I pets...so I always have names ready for the next little one to come along!
so...how did your pets names come about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 01:58 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
Our English Bulldog is named Porkchop. We've always wanted an English Bulldog and came up with the name long before he came. He is 3 months old now and kind of resembles his name.

We also have a Sphynx kittend, who we named Cali, because we live in CA. Not orignial, I know, but it's cute and fits her.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:06 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,927,454 times
LOL. We picked Shelby because my husband could say we named her after the car when people would assume (and rightfully so) that I picked the name from the Steel Magnolia's character. She was originally going to be Reese, but it just didn't fit her once we got her.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SHELBY.jpg
Views:	1505
Size:	683.0 KB
ID:	31708

Old 12-03-2008, 02:06 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
I really, really, really wanted a dog.
My husband? He really didn't, but he was willing to have one if I wanted one so badly.

I wanted my husband to be part of the "dog experience" so I told him that he had to name the furry guy.

After many suggestions with me saying, "What? Are you kidding???" we settled on Artie Fufkin. Artie Fufkin is Paul Schaeffer's character in the movie "This Is Spinal Tap." My husband loved the movie, loved Paul's character, and loved the goofy name. And I was OK with it.

So, Artie (Artie Fufkin) -- or Artie Fartie, as I call him -- it was.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:13 PM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times
My cat Lucy is after Lucille Ball
My cat Gracie is after Gracie Allen
My English Bullie is Maggie because I just like the name

Old 12-03-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Our English Bulldog is named Porkchop. We've always wanted an English Bulldog and came up with the name long before he came. He is 3 months old now and kind of resembles his name.

We also have a Sphynx kittend, who we named Cali, because we live in CA. Not orignial, I know, but it's cute and fits her.
At the time I was breeding Goldens in Ca., I can't tell you how many of my pups were named Cali...for the same reason!
Hey..I'm headed to SD on Fri!

Old 12-03-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
LOL. We picked Shelby because my husband could say we named her after the car when people would assume (and rightfully so) that I picked the name from the Steel Magnolia's character. She was originally going to be Reese, but it just didn't fit her once we got her.

Attachment 31708

Aww...Shelby is adorable! Once again...ya know how many Shelbys we know...dogs, kids, etc...named after Caroll Shelby?

Old 12-03-2008, 02:47 PM

1,808 posts, read 6,495,433 times
Tonka had his name when we adopted him from the beagle rescue group.

It suits him... he's mixed with coonhound so he's bigger than a purebred beagle. And he's strong, like a Tonka Truck.

Last edited by ctribucher; 12-03-2008 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: wrong tag!

Old 12-03-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
Tonka had his name when we adopted him from the beagle rescue group.

It suits him... he's mixed with coonhound so he's bigger than a purebred beagle. And he's strong, like a Tonka Truck.

LOL...I love it! Tonka!

Old 12-03-2008, 03:00 PM

1,808 posts, read 6,495,433 times
Thanks, ShelbyGirl1!

When we lived outside of DC, we used to go to a dog park where there was another dog named Tonka. Only... he was a Mastiff. It was so funny when us or the other couple would call out "Tonka" and they would both come running! Well, the Mastiff would lope along and our Tonka would be running full tilt to keep up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
LOL...I love it! Tonka!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs