U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 07:37 PM

1,587 posts, read 6,691,270 times

Advertisements

I have not used them, seen good and bad on them. I found a lower cost on them than usual. Still unsure if worth it though but if want more info DM me.
Has anyone had a dog freak on these when using, by keeping on one nail to long? I know they say with the dremmel do in short burst, changing paws each time switch nails is this true with pedi paws also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 11:59 PM

12,439 posts, read 31,491,210 times
Katie did great with me using it on her. I also think part of it is the confidence of the person using it.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:46 AM

836 posts, read 3,001,159 times
We bought a Pedi-Paws and our dogs don't like it. I am assuming its the noise they don't like because when you turn it on they are terrified of it. Ughhh I hate paying for something and can't even use it.. I hate it when they think of something that could be of use and it turns out to be a failure! We have tried everything.. from waiting til they are laying their calm to holding them down to keep them calm but nothing works.. Of course it is hard to fight a Great Dane when they don't want their feet messed with..lol But I will keep trying hoping eventually they will let me do their nails..*rolls eyes* I now lay it beside them and turn it on while sitting there in hopes they get use to the noise so this isn't a wasted product.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:11 AM

7,079 posts, read 34,520,304 times
With ANY instrument, you have to go SLOWLY!!!!

Naturally, you bring in something that buzzes and try to apply it right to the dog's nails without getting him used to the thing, he IS going to freak out. With all of these instruments, it takes a while to get the dog used to it. With LOTS of really good treats (like tiny pieces of chicken).

And nobody said you have to do all toes at one sitting. Do one nail/day and you'll get it done.

And because the Pedi-Paws still uses abrasion to remove the nail, as with the Dremel tool, it can't be held on one nail for too long because it gets hot and hurts the dog. Then you'll have an even harder time getting the dog to accept the tool.

Here's a wonderful explanation of how to get the dog used to getting his nails filed down: How to Dremel Dog Nails @ DoberDawn.com (http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/doberdawn/dremel/dremel.html - broken link)

This woman uses a Dremel, but it's the same procedure for the Pedi-Paws.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:53 AM

4,541 posts, read 13,123,016 times
I've not used Pedi Paws but I saw them at Walmart the other day.

I looked at it and saw that you have to stick their toenail through a gaurd. I'm sure the guard is for protection to ensure that you don't cut toenails too short but after using a dremel tool on my large dog who's not too good about toe nail trimming I think that guard would make it harder to use.

I also wish they'd made them use electricity instead of being battery operated -- just more batteries in our landfills.

btw - with the Dremel we did a few toes at a time... and having a lot of tasty, real meat treats handy helped !

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-07-2008 at 08:08 AM..

Old 12-07-2008, 08:14 AM

1,587 posts, read 6,691,270 times
I may have to find a dremmel see if jump at the noise,but in this house with so many dogs and kids they get used to strange noises. I would have to lock myself in a room with meat treats or get attacked. My english setter not think try it on though as long hair in feet where as the bloodhounds are not.
hank you all.Will look at that sight my problem with nail trimming is many have the black nails and unable to see the quick and not need em bleeding.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:21 AM

7,079 posts, read 34,520,304 times
The rechargeable (not battery operated) Dremel is VERY quiet...

Old 12-07-2008, 10:44 AM
miu

17,132 posts, read 34,624,910 times
I've been intrigued by the Pedi Paws commercials also, but I think that I will stick with my method of using old fashioned nail clippers and then a nail file to shape and trim closer. It's not the fastest process in the world, but it's just something I do while watching tv with the dogs in a relaxed way once a week. I use those big salon style nail file pads. Coarse and then a slightly finer one.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:52 AM

4,541 posts, read 13,123,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
I may have to find a dremmel see if jump at the noise,but in this house with so many dogs and kids they get used to strange noises. I would have to lock myself in a room with meat treats or get attacked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
Will look at that sight my problem with nail trimming is many have the black nails and unable to see the quick and not need em bleeding.
My dog's got black nails, too... I just take off the sharp ends and then file them with the Dremel.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:29 PM

549 posts, read 1,936,596 times
I use it on mine, and she's fine with it...much better than when I had to use regular clippers. The pedi paws is a much more gentle way to clip those nails, and only takes off a very little at time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs