Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 01:44 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,780 times

Advertisements

I am genuinely sickened by the number of stray dogs I see in Minnesota. I understand that some of them have run away - but some I know were left there by the side of the road by some truely heartless and cruel individuals. Left to fend for themselves in a hostle world, thinking that since it's rural that someone is going to come along and adopt it. Not. That doesn't happen. For the most part these animals will roam around, sometimes with other dogs, and this includes running in highway traffic and through neighborhoods with childeren. A hungry confused dog can be scary. Usually they become affraid of even thier own shadow and roam around until a local police officer can pick them up and hold them for Animal Control. Thier life expecency at that time is measured in days not years. The animal shelters are all full these days. Those strays are picked up with the sole pupose of being put down. Truely Insanely Sad.

What Cruel Person can do something like that to an animal that only loves and wants to be loved. What heartless person can do THAT? Take a living and breathing being and break it's heart and spirit.. Karma is a big old wheel, I hope.

I'm going to guess that these are some very Lonely and Sad individuals. Ones that have NOTHING going for them in a positive way. That grouchy loner personalityless goof living down the street. That person who looks rough around the edges, like they don't know what a bath is. Or not, they could be any one, anyone at all. They could be the neighbor you think the world of. We just don't know. We have no clue about what type of person could be so cruel.

Forgive me my rant. I've just seen too many strays, on in peticular last month. It was roaming the neighborhood and looked in decent health. It was a big old white (off white now) dog that had a collar on it. I saw that it was friendly but since I was normally walking my dog, I had to keep my distance. When I'd go out by myself looking he was no where to be seen. Sometimes I would see him while in my pick-up and I'd quickly re-route and try to catch up. Never with any success. My own son told me he'd petted the dog because it was following him. He was sad that he didn't know I was trying to get hold of him to try and see if he really belonged to someone and was lost. I'll never know, as I saw the Police pick him up. Saddly I expect I know the out-come.

I need to get a bigger house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 07:52 PM

315 posts, read 1,088,207 times
What a touching poem. My daughter just adoped a dog that had been abandoned on the side of the road, someone just dumped him and left him. That dog was in terrible shape and we're all working to get him back to a healthy condition. He is a loveable obedient dog, can't comprehend why people could do this.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:44 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,177 times
I got my purebred Border Collie from a shelter, cause his owners just "couldn't handle him"

He's been nothing but sweet for the last 5 years. Save for the fact he has a habit of stealing food off the table.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:45 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,225 times
Great poem...and so true! There are so many abandoned dogs (and cats!) but I've had very good luck with all the rescues I've taken in over the years...I leave the door open so if there's a problem the new owners can bring the animal back to me, but this has only happened once and I found him another home within a week. The older dogs are difficult to place sometimes, I took in 2 cocker spaniels awhile back (brother & sister) they were at least 6 or 7 years old, and the male was missing an eye...I was adamant in them being placed together, so it took about 3 months, but I eventually found a wonderful family who already had a spaniel, and now they are all happy together right in my own neighborhood!!! People getting rid of their pets should at least take the time to place the animals themselves...especially when they're older, (though I don't see why more people don't adopt older dogs...they're already housebroken and calm, which to me is a big plus!!!) . It makes me sick how they could just dump them and throw their hands up at the whole thing...I'll never understand!

Old 12-12-2008, 05:51 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,439 times
To that poem he should've added..

I adopted your dog today...
Because you failed
To keep him on a leash
You thought he'd never stray
Instead, he ran away

(sorry, pet peeve of mine -- no pun intended)

Old 12-12-2008, 08:56 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,009,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavetoSay View Post
To that poem he should've added..

I adopted your dog today...
Because you failed
To keep him on a leash
You thought he'd never stray
Instead, he ran away

(sorry, pet peeve of mine -- no pun intended)
Weeelllll, let's be honest. Some dogs are dang near impossible to contain at all times and they can escape in the blink of an eye. I just replaced the gate for the second time in the year I've had my Weimaraner. I always watch them when they're outside but this time I had to go to the bathroom. I wasn't inside 5 minutes but when I returned, there she was, with the others close behind, heading for the street! Luckily, the neighbor kids saw them escape and rounded them up for me.

If I put her out on a cable, she will destroy anything in sight to show her displeasure, so that's out. I used to have a pretty wooden gate that matched the picket fence -- she ripped off the pickets with her teeth in less than 2 minutes so I had to buy a chain link gate. In time, she learned that the chain link could be forced loose and bent if it's body-slammed a few times! Hence, the latest escape!

So, last weekend, I bought another chain link gate but also purchased rigid steel mesh and clips to reinforce the chain link. My neighbors helped me out with it and it SHOULD contain her. The operative word is should. Time will tell! She isn't ALWAYS trying to escape as she has a big yard to play in. However, when a stray cat or another dog wanders by, she's determined!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs