Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 01:30 PM

4,677 posts, read 2,053,920 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking about getting a great dane for a while now and seen some for adoption but have never owned one. I was wanting to know how they are behaviour wise and if they are good with kids and other dogs? Also how much do they really eat? I have a full grown golden now so I'm somewhat adjusted to a dog that eats a lot but hes nowhere near dane size. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 02:27 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,841,161 times
They don't live very long: eight is considered an OLD great Dane. And they are prone to something called 'Wobbler's syndrome' which is a problem with the cervical vertebrae, causing them to have issues with walking, etc.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:58 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,574,293 times
Most are very sweet, calm dogs but they don't live long (6-8 yrs is avg). They do eat a lot and need some exercise.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:45 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,335,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post
I have been thinking about getting a great dane for a while now and seen some for adoption but have never owned one. I was wanting to know how they are behaviour wise and if they are good with kids and other dogs? Also how much do they really eat? I have a full grown golden now so I'm somewhat adjusted to a dog that eats a lot but hes nowhere near dane size. Thanks.
Danes fall into the Giant Breed category, 150 pounds and above. They are typically very gentle, playful when young, sedentary when mature. They are very good with young children, tolerating abuse without snapping at them or growling. They are very loyal and somewhat territorial. Males that have not been neutered still get "wander lust." They prefer to be with their owners and do not like being left alone outside all day. They don't require any more activity or exercise than your golden when they are young (under the age of 4), and even less when they get older.

As far as the amount of food Danes will consume, it depends on what you feed them. If it is a good quality kibble (such as Gold Wolf, Natural Balance, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, etc.) estimate between 50 and 60 pounds per month. Giant Breed dogs also leave Giant Breed waste, and a good quality kibble will reduce the quantity of waste because more of the kibble is being digested. So buy a good brand and you won't have to bring in the back-hoe to clean up the yard as often.

A Dane puppy will also cause more damage than a smaller breed dog. So be prepared. Eight-week old puppies usually range from 15 to 20 pounds, and then gain 10+ pounds every month for the next year (females) to 18 months (males). Males take longer to mature.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:56 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,145,259 times
Since I was 5, I have wanted a Dane. Many, many years later I finally have the land and room for one.
My fear is the health issues. Has anyone ever experienced "never" having a big problem with a Dane.
I am looking for a mix, due to my worries. I have adopted a Catahoula which I believe is mixed with Dane, and he is wonderful.
Any suggestions on a mix that would balance out the health issues of a Dane but might maintain the size ?

I believe in rescuing from the pound or like organization.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,784 times
Default about un-nutered great danes?

I am thinking about adopting a great Dane and I am just wondering about there damenor? I dont want to nuter him right away and I have three kids, youngest being 16 months. The dog is a year and 3 months, also he does not have the shot record, I am trying to have him get ahold of the breeder.. do they usually keep that info....Thanks

Old 10-17-2009, 05:28 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,351,655 times
Any dog will be exactly what you train it to be.

Why are you not neutering it soon? I don't like juvi spay/neuter myself, but by the time they are 4-6 months they're a good age for neuter.

And go adopt one. Don't buy. There's no sense in buying when others are just going to be killed in shelters. It's stupid, pointless and irresponsible unless you plan on showing your dog.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:44 PM

958 posts, read 1,097,911 times
Flame suit on
Some good and not so good info posted here.
I have had 6 Danes. Even two at a time . Adopting a dane is a wonderfull thing . BUT you have to be carefull, most but not all ,up for grabs are not the same quality [ health] as those you buy. You need a Great vet. like the one in setauket is the best. DR Wen [ spelling].
While they are gentile and loving by nature you need to understand they are very Powerfull animals. Second to none in the dog world. An alpha male or female needs a firm, but gentile loving hand. No means No the first time. [ That you have to learn] Once you are the Master or Mistress they will be big fuzzy blankets that your children can lay upon , push, pull tug and play with and yet at any sign of threat to those children they will respond with fierce responce.
The wobblers syndrome is genitic, not all have it. they live 6 to 9 yeras. Most of mine lived for for 10 to 12 years. I did not alter my males. They do not wander that is false.
If your a first time Dane owner I'd reco you go to Great Danes on Line and other boards and see what they say.
A dane puppy is a blank page . They learn quick. There love and dedication is boundless.
Beware nothing chews up your home like a Dane Pup. but he will come and show you what he chewed up with pride.
Nothing will love you more than a Great Dane
Nothing can protect your family Like A Great Dane.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:49 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,351,655 times
Not going to flame you. Just want to point out that most of the info you posted is really good for any breed dog. Any large breed dog needs someone with either experience or a trainer unless they're adopting from a good rescue. A good rescue will have the dog fully trained when you take possession. If not they can let you know what still needs to be done.

Any large breed dog needs training from day one till the end. It never stops, ever. Period. And if you've got an alpha, you definitely need to be experienced. I love the alpha and working types of dogs, they're my favorite. I love a challenge. But at the same time, they're not for anyone that doesn't have a tremendous amount of training time under their belt. I've had pits, GSDs, Rotties, and chows in the house living very happily all together with chihuahuas. I've also been training dogs 15 years.

Every breed has some lines that are true to it's roots, and lines from back yard breeders that have made them much more suited to living in today's society. If you're a beginner, you want to find a good rescue and go with one that's not true to old lines. You don't want a working type dog.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:28 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,208,509 times
My wife and I have a harlequin female and she so far has been a very good dog. Shes right at 6 1/2 years old and has yet to have a health problem (knock on wood). We started training her young and it has paid off, since her training she has had only two bathroom accidents inside and they were my fault. She does eat and drink ALOT and we still can't put any fat on her, nothing but lean muscle . Laying on the sofa and sleeping is her favorite thing to do but she does get bursts of energy a few times a day. She has developed a few fatty pockets on her side, the vet said they're fine but I'm going to get them checked on a semi-regular basis. Remember one thing, Danes can grab things off the table, dip their head in the trashcan and a variety of other things so make sure to break them of it. Overall shes a rather passive well behaved dog, my wifes fat little Beagle runs the house though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs