U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 03:28 PM

2,738 posts, read 4,355,457 times
Default Does your dog "see things"?

I swear, my border collie sees dead people or something, cause he'll just be walking down the hallway, and for no reason, just stops, bears his teeth and all the hair stands up on his back.

But there's never anything there. It always looks as though what he's growling at is right in front of him. It's really starting to freak me out.

Sometimes too, he'll be sound asleep, and out of nowhere will jump up and terrifylingly bolt across the room and hide under something, for no reason whatsoever. No noises, nobody touched him. Nothing.

I've had him since he was 8 weeks old. He's never been anything but pampered. I'm starting to wonder if he's mentally insane. Is this possible for a dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 03:52 PM

7,081 posts, read 23,301,324 times
Are you sure these aren't partial complex seizures? This kind of seizure is characterized by stereotyped behavior (such as snapping). And seizure threshold is decreased during sleep.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:55 PM

Yeah he is a snapper, usually only to small children that provoke him. It's not really an unvoluntary thing.

It's got me kind of worried. He's done this ever since he was a puppy.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:12 PM

Snapping is just an example of ONE KIND of stereotyped behavior seen in partial complex seizures. It's as if he's snapping at flies you can't see.

There are other stereotypical behaviors that are seen with this kind of seizure: scratching, lip smacking, growling, etc. But a vet needs to evaluate this.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:21 PM

Yeah, i've been researching the symptoms of canine epilepsy, but it doesn't fit.

It's just like he's super neurotic or something. Acts like a crack addict.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:24 PM
miu

12,680 posts, read 20,778,950 times
Maybe he is part cat? I've had cats that acted that way, playing with an imaginary friend or something. Last night, one of my labs was having an active dream. Usually it involves a few woofs and limb twitching, but this time was the first time I've seen him snarl in his sleep.

How much exercise is your border collie getting? Maybe more strenuous physical exercise would give him a better mental state. Or something akin to agility training. Maybe he finds his life boring so his imagination is taking over.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:54 PM

I'm not talking about grand mal seizures, which is what most people are talking about when they mention epilepsy. I'm talking about partial complex seizures. They're COMPLETELY different things.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:02 PM

284 posts, read 704,650 times
I agree with Viralmd that your dog may be having focal point seizures (partial complex seizures). I have a Vizsla/Lab mix who was diagnosed with idiopathic focal point seizures after she began manifesting behavior much like what you describe. Here are a couple of links re canine epilepsy - be sure to watch the fly-biting video: Epilepsy in Dogs (http://www.irishdogs.ie/Information/Epilepsy.htm#Types_of_Seizures_ - broken link) Fly-biting

It would be beneficial for you to keep a log of your dog's behavioral events - chronicle dates, time, duration, behavior/activity, possible triggers. Ideally, also take video(s) of the behaviors, as that would be tremendously helpful to the veterinarian(s) if you do pursue diagnosis and treatment.

(http://www.irishdogs.ie/Information/Epilepsy.htm#Types_of_Seizures_ - broken link)

Old 12-11-2008, 05:26 PM

1,587 posts, read 4,082,262 times
I believe in ghost and such and with dogs feeling and sensing thing it could be possible. Check the history of the house.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:38 PM

315 posts, read 552,070 times
Viralmd is on the right track. Your dog does indeed sound like it has the comlex partial seizures and you should see to it that he gets treated for this. It could escalate to a bad bite for some unlucky child or even an adult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs