Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 10:25 AM

591 posts, read 1,415,423 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry but i'm just so upset. I don't get it, if there is an aggressive German Shepherd he is still considered adoptable but only to people with no Children or other dogs..but if it's a pit then it automatically is put down. This just upsets me so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 10:27 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
the SPCA game is hard to understand---- much lamenting a media portrayal as the good guys the great heros, SPCA is handling it send money for this worthy cause. but in fact they simply kill most of the animals after. sounds so much like "running man".

Old 12-25-2008, 11:21 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryLuvinWoman1 View Post
I'm sorry but i'm just so upset. I don't get it, if there is an aggressive German Shepherd he is still considered adoptable but only to people with no Children or other dogs..but if it's a pit then it automatically is put down. This just upsets me so much.
I believe that part of the problem is that there are so many pit bulls in animal shelters and pit bull rescues already. And their resources are limited. We can't save all the animals in shelters, and what happens is that these groups focus on saving the animals that have the best chance for a quick adoption. And if a pit bull is dog aggressive, it's not enough for it to only be placed in a home where there are no other dogs... because what happens when their new owners try to walk it and they meet other dogs on the street? A dog aggressive pit bull is more difficult to manage than a dog aggressive dog of most other breeds. Unfortunately, the same traits that make pit bulls a popular fighting dog is what hurts it when the dog is poorly socialized and needs rehoming.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:12 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,404,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I believe that part of the problem is that there are so many pit bulls in animal shelters and pit bull rescues already. And their resources are limited. We can't save all the animals in shelters, and what happens is that these groups focus on saving the animals that have the best chance for a quick adoption. And if a pit bull is dog aggressive, it's not enough for it to only be placed in a home where there are no other dogs... because what happens when their new owners try to walk it and they meet other dogs on the street? A dog aggressive pit bull is more difficult to manage than a dog aggressive dog of most other breeds. Unfortunately, the same traits that make pit bulls a popular fighting dog is what hurts it when the dog is poorly socialized and needs rehoming.
Not really. Same precautions need to be taken all round for any breed of dog. Obviously the bigger the more attention needs to be paid that the precautions are followed.

Any medium to large dog is hard to re home when unsocialized. I know I wouldn't recommend my in laws Great Pyrenees to anybody but an extremely experienced dog handler either.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:18 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,039 times
It really comes down to who do you pick when you are euthanizing 5000 -10000 animals a year as in our city? Do you pick the ones people come in and ask for such as well-behaved, quiet, small, good health, young, cute, etc. Or do you fill your spaces with bully breeds which require more knowledge to properly handle? Who would you select in such a situation?

Personally I think they have gotten bad press as many dogs are biters and aggressive. In England this week, a postman almost lost his arm to two Rotties. My insurance company will not insure us for liability for a list of large dogs such as German Shepherds, pit bulls, mastiffs, etc.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:34 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryLuvinWoman1 View Post
You mean out of 106 dogs only 20 were actually saved? Cause to me if they just turned around and killed them..that's not saving them. This makes me sick. I don't know about the rest of you but it's hard to feel good about the ending of this story when so many died anyway. Don't get me wrong I'm happy that 20 are saved but what about the rest???
Please don't take this as a personal attack, but what the heck are you doing with a 2-1/2 month old lab puppy?? Why didn't you adopt a pit bull from a shelter instead?

I also feel terrible about all the unwanted dogs and cats in shelters, and the way I help is by adopting ADULT shelter dogs and cats that other people have passed on. My new adult lab mix was stuck in a NC animal shelter for TWO MONTHS. My other lab mix was overdue to be put to sleep when I took him home. My two terriers were seven years old when I adopted them. Puppies, especially lab puppies are never difficult to find homes for.

Again, this is not a personal attack, but just an observation as you keep making these passionate posts about the sad plight of the unwanted pit bulls, yet you get yourself a lab puppy instead. And that puzzles me greatly.

Old 12-25-2008, 03:18 PM

"Pitbulls" are not for everybody. Good to make that decision before adopting / purchasing one. I know I did, thats why I made one. You have to think long and hard about what dog you best suit.
I feel sorry for the labs and other breeds that dont get adopted but I dont suit them so Ill stick with my Staffs for now.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Please don't take this as a personal attack, but what the heck are you doing with a 2-1/2 month old lab puppy?? Why didn't you adopt a pit bull from a shelter instead?

I also feel terrible about all the unwanted dogs and cats in shelters, and the way I help is by adopting ADULT shelter dogs and cats that other people have passed on. My new adult lab mix was stuck in a NC animal shelter for TWO MONTHS. My other lab mix was overdue to be put to sleep when I took him home. My two terriers were seven years old when I adopted them. Puppies, especially lab puppies are never difficult to find homes for.

Again, this is not a personal attack, but just an observation as you keep making these passionate posts about the sad plight of the unwanted pit bulls, yet you get yourself a lab puppy instead. And that puzzles me greatly.
For your information I happen to be caring for 6 puppies that are 7 weeks old that I have been fostering and bottle feeding since day 1. I also have a pit/lab mix that was a rescue as well as a chihuahua that came from a byb. As well as we have a golden mix and another lab mix that we are fostering. I've probably fostered more animals than most on this forum or any other thank you very much. Would you like that list as well? Would you like me to post some pics of the ones I have right now? Would that be enough for you? Maybe you should ask before you go accusing and not that it's any of your business but I bought my lab because I would like to do obedience competition and eventually agility competition. I give quite a bit to my community and exuse me for wanting to do something for myself.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:57 PM

I'm not sure if this post right but the one pic is of the two lab mixes and the golden mix..the other pic is of the puppies we have been caring for. We lost half of the litter but half have survived..If you'd like to see more pics just let me know. Oh and my beautiful daughter is in one of them.
Attached Thumbnails
106 Abandonded Pit Bulls in Okla.-502.jpg   106 Abandonded Pit Bulls in Okla.-dogs-038.jpg  

Old 12-25-2008, 10:59 PM

Looks like you have a handful. Good luck with em
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs