U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 02:52 PM

403 posts, read 1,418,574 times

Advertisements

So.

I came home from work yesterday and there was a note on my door about my barking dogs from the county animal control officer.

I called her back and she stated there were several complaints from my neighbors about my dogs barking "non-stop" and barking all night long. She said she came to the door and the dogs "went crazy". She then stated she parked a couple of blocks away and they barked non stop for over an hour straight.

She suggested to kennel them or to put a collar on them that will zap them everytime they bark. I'm not feeling real up to either of those ideas.

First off, my dogs DO NOT bark at night. They sleep in the house with me. Second, is it possible to stop 2 dogs from barking while I'm at work, in the middle of the day?

It's a $150 fine next time she has to come out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 03:19 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,395,657 times
Well, somebody hears them barking. Sounds like you may need to go and buy those collars.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:37 PM

822 posts, read 2,715,742 times
Yikes. I would be upset if that happened to me! A decade ago, in a condo, I had to deal with this sort of thing and I just felt there were no options and that ... the neighbor complaining was a bit crazy. But if they are truly barking non-stop and several neighbors are complaining, and this was validated by the animal control person, then maybe there would be options for keeping them more contained and at ease. As far as I know, my dogs only bark when someone either walks past our house or walks up to the door, and this seems rational, even if annoying. It might actually be a relief to your dogs to keep them away from the stimulation, who knows?

Old 12-13-2008, 03:48 PM

8,062 posts, read 16,421,852 times
I'm confused. Are the dogs outside during the day and that's why their barking is annoying people? Or are they inside and you have some windows open? I've got three dogs inside and I live in a manufactured home -- you can't hear them barking at all unless you're near my front door and, even then, it's not loud.

Keep them inside and the windows closed.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:55 PM

403 posts, read 1,418,574 times
They are outside and fully contained during the day while I am at work. I'm not denying that they bark, I just am unsure how to stop it. I would prefer to find a way to still allow them to run and play outside while I'm at work.

The biggest issue I have is that 2 of the 3 complaints came from people saying they barked all night long, which is untrue. We've lived here for a year and never had any problems. At least 3 of our neighbors have dogs, so how do we even know it is mine? I'm not trying to inconvenience anyone, I will do what I can. I just am feeling like it's really unfair that I could face a fine when 2 of the 3 complaints aren't even true. The night time barking is just not possible.

I'm just frustrated. I'm a responsible dog owner and to have to try to figure out how to control something that I have no idea how to control or even if I have to control it is frustrating.

I hear dogs barking right now. Do I call animal control simply because I hear them? I guess I'm more tolerable than others. Dogs bark. I don't know.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:03 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,255,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2sweet4ne1 View Post
They are outside and fully contained during the day while I am at work. I'm not denying that they bark, I just am unsure how to stop it. I would prefer to find a way to still allow them to run and play outside while I'm at work.

The biggest issue I have is that 2 of the 3 complaints came from people saying they barked all night long, which is untrue. We've lived here for a year and never had any problems. At least 3 of our neighbors have dogs, so how do we even know it is mine? I'm not trying to inconvenience anyone, I will do what I can. I just am feeling like it's really unfair that I could face a fine when 2 of the 3 complaints aren't even true. The night time barking is just not possible.

I'm just frustrated. I'm a responsible dog owner and to have to try to figure out how to control something that I have no idea how to control or even if I have to control it is frustrating.

I hear dogs barking right now. Do I call animal control simply because I hear them? I guess I'm more tolerable than others. Dogs bark. I don't know.
I am sorry for your problem. Right off the bat - I am a huge animal lover. Don't eat 'em, don't wear 'em - just love them!

That being said, our neighbor has a dog who is quite the barker. While obnoxious during the day, it can be unbearable at night. The dog is just over a year old and is unfortunately, mainly an outdoor dog. I dealt with the barking for the last 2 months - getting bothered at odd hours a few times a week - well, I finally wrote a very nice note and asked the neighbor to "advise".

The dog has now, probably, been sleeping inside as I have not heard her bark.

You never know, maybe the neighbors nap during the day or have babies sleeping or try to garden in peace...

Maybe try getting the doggies some toys to keep them company? Maybe leave a small radio on "low" out on your patio to keep them company too?

Old 12-13-2008, 04:28 PM
miu

17,370 posts, read 35,348,054 times
Quote:
Really? Could your neighbors be confusing your dogs with another neighbors' dogs? Did you ask animal control if any of your neighbors dogs had complaints lodged against them?

You said that you keep your dogs outside in a contained area, it it a chain link fence? What if you put a privacy fence around it? When my dogs are outside, it's natural for them to bark at squirrels or anything that moves that they can't get to. They bark out of frustration mostly, unless it's the mailman, then it's a warning bark.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:38 PM

7,567 posts, read 16,639,290 times
Are they indoors or outdoors at night ?
If indoors and you dont hear them then it may well be a neighbors dog. If your dogs bark during the day when you are not there then they may well be presuming it is your dog at night too, if they are kept inside ? If they are outside at night time then you may well just not hear them bark. I know when Dakota barks I dont really notice but I know my neighbor does. (She is elderly and likes to hear him bark cause she knows somebody is around. He is indoors now all the time cept potty time now though). Either way, the night time thing if you get fined and dont pay will go to court (or may end up going that way anyway) and they will have to prove it. It could swing either way though, depending on the judge.

What is Animal Control doing sitting two blocks away for an hour ? I know our AC guy hasnt got time to do that .

Old 12-13-2008, 04:39 PM

3,860 posts, read 5,422,975 times
For the OP, some helpful links:

Dog Control

Barking dogs impact the nervous system to trigger stress & emotional upset

I do hope you get this solved. I highly doubt the animal control officer would make up a story and jeopardize her position just to pick on you.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:48 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,732,350 times
Quote:

What's really unfair is that your neighbors can't enjoy peace and quiet because you choose to leave your dogs outside unattended all day. Some people take their dogs to doggy day care centers, most people keep their dogs safely inside the house when they aren't at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or